Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
I'm up to 3 now.

No electrical current inside these babies. Vintage 1920-1925.

Attachments

• Three Pocketwatches.jpg
    Three Pocketwatches.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 359
Reactions: Miat

hookahco

macrumors regular
jefhatfield said:
for the general public, rolex, omega, and movado are the known names for prestige watches, but the breitling is probably just as good for less on any comparable watch line

i looked at an air king for 3700. from rolex, omega had a very similar watch for about 2700., but breitling basically had the same thing for less than half that price of the rolex and the breitling was the most attractive and had more functions

movado doesnt come close to breitling in quality or price.. ive seen breitlings sell for over $30,000.00usd... their bentley model is abour $13,000

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway

Attachments

• product_image.jpeg
    product_image.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 5,596
  • product_image-1.jpeg
    product_image-1.jpeg
    26.4 KB · Views: 5,600

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2005
UK
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I cannot believe I've missed this thread so far.
How could you miss my thread??? Well glad you finally posted, right everyone else, whats on your wrist??

kretzy

macrumors 604
Sep 11, 2004
Canberra, Australia
I have to say I'm not a watch-wearer. I find they get in my way and annoy me. Plus I really hate the watch-band tan that occurs if I wear one. I do like the looks of many of your watches though - they can make very stylish accessories.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Sirus The Virus said:
If I had a watch it would be similar to this. If not the exact same thing.

Hey, that's my Swatch. Except the bezel on mine is black. I did have a Seiko dive watch that I absolutely loved. Battery ran out and took it to a store in the mall (can u tell this is going bad yet?) to get the battery replaced. I didn't want to send it to Seiko for the new battery. Well, they took off the back and replaced the battery. A bit later it pretty much died.....When they replaced the battery they "pinched" the "o" ring and it leaked. Sad, I loved that watch because it was easy to read/had the date AND the DAY! I'm a bit rough on watches. I wear them in the shower, in the pool and I used to wear them diving too. Sigh, the good old days. I've got a Rolex that my Dad bought after WWII. Have to dig it out and take a pic for you watch afficionados.

My son has a new Seiko, one of those kinetic ones. It's pretty slick. He told us that he wanted it for Christmas so we went out looking. Found it and originally thought it wasn't working correctly....the second hand jumped. Turns out that we hit the button that activates the second hand to visually show you how much "charge" the watch has. Funny, didn't buy it at the first store because we thought it was broken. Found it again at another store and read the manual and discovered the truth. Fortunately for us it was on also on sale:)

dr427

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
Oklahoma City
I did a ton of research in finding a high quality watch that could be passed down to my son as an heirloom. So in my search of an "heirloom" quality watch I ended up with a Rolex Explorer 1. Mostly because of the watches made in this price range and less ($3000) have their movements made by one company (Eta I belive) and the rest of the watch made by many. Rolex makes 90% (or something like that) of it's watch in house. One of the few apparantly. Based on looks I was sold on a Breitling until I found they didn't make their movments. So paying for a generic movment put into a nice case, face, and band didn't appeal so much to me. Also, an automatic was a must for me to stand the test of time. I've had several "nice" quartz watches that the battery has corroded and ruined the watch.

The Rolex Explorer 1 is less common and is plain enough that it looks nice, but not Blingy.

There is a forum dedicated to watches (http://www.timezone.com/). Spent lots of time lurking there. :D

Attachments

• Rolex.jpg
    Rolex.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 270

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
dr427 said:
The Rolex Explorer 1 is less common and is plain enough that it looks nice, but not Blingy.

Pretty sweet. I always wish I had big enough wrists to wear a watch like that. I'm stuck with faces 35mm or less and leather bands lol.

thanks for the tip on the watch forum I will definately check it out.

dr427

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
Oklahoma City
Xenious said:
Pretty sweet. I always wish I had big enough wrists to wear a watch like that. I'm stuck with faces 35mm or less and leather bands lol.

thanks for the tip on the watch forum I will definately check it out.

That's exactly why I bought it was because I too have small wrists and it was the smallest man's watch. It's 36mm I believe.

http://www.timezone.com/library/horologium/horologium0036

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
Use to wear a pretty normal looking watch, but my mom has gotten me the thinkgeek.com watch for Christmas. Not uber-geek since they actually put numbers beside the leds so the average person just has to add them up. Personally I'd like to have a watch that just said 1100011100 for 12:30 or whatever. But hey, it's okay. :)

210b7b9.jpg

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
my last watch had a dinky little velcro strap that kept coming loose and falling off. It fell off earlier this week and I haven't seen it since...

I don't think my new one will have this problem. :D

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 248
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 258

muffinman

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2005
San Diego, California
dornoforpyros said:
my last watch had a dinky little velcro strap that kept coming loose and falling off. It fell off earlier this week and I haven't seen it since...

I don't think my new one will have this problem. :D

i got that exact same one for christmas. the agent by nixon, except mine is the dark red one. its not really red, its more of a brown.

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
Apple Hobo said:
Citizen Blue Angels Navihawk.

That's a lot to look at, I don't think I'd be able to tell the time with that one.

I had a Seiko Titanium Chronograph (SNA139) but the alarm never worked on it and after they fixed it the first time the chronograph buttons stopped moving properly, now the main screw doesn't even change the time properly. It was a damn fine watch until the warranty repairmen destroyed it. Now it sits sadly on my desk, I can't bring myself to pay for its repair and crystal replacement.

Sitting on my wrist now is a simple silver analog Seiko that I've had for many years.

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
I just realized that this thread is purely for ego inflating and advertising.

/interesting

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.