Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
I know I've seen it in iChat, but I have no idea what it is/does. Anyone have a quick little summary? The apple site still leaves me confused.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
It's a zero configuration plug and play service. I've used it often on my network when our print server died. Devices that a zero configuration compatible send out a message to the network. Bonjour allows you to see these devices and connect to them easily. It's a good work around if you don't have a print server. (A computer dedicated to that.)

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 24, 2006
eh, that's at least some clarification. thanks. I thought it had to do with instant messaging or something along those lines.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
I think it does much more than this.

But all I know is that it allows my computer to detect and connect to printers with one click of the mouse. Very nice.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Yup... it lets computers find other computers and peripherals/users connected to them.

If you have a printer connected to an Airport, then Bonjour means that it just 'appears' in the Print dialogue.

If you're using iChat then, even if there's no wireless network, if two people have Bonjour enabled in iChat, then you'll be able to see one another.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
Think of Bonjour as a local network client. If a bunch of iChat users are online in one Apple Retail Store, they can communicate with one another under the Bonjour Buddy List. This is easier rather than having to get their individual screen names and adding them yourself.

Quick question I was wondering: does iTunes use Bonjour or just your average network technology?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.