Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BkkChris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2002
So, I know this has been talked about a bit all around, however I have yet to see a thread just on this topic. Any thoughts on what (if any!) LCD's Apple might release at the upcoming MWSF? I guess the 19" is a bit expected and overdue - think it will be a Widescreen, what about the 17", faster and widescreen or just a (yawn) price reduction. The Apple screens look great, but for my dollar the Formac's beat them hands down on the speed, color and technology in general. I really think Apple needs an update of the 17" and a new 19". Cheers.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: New LCD's?

Originally posted by BkkChris
So, I know this has been talked about a bit all around, however I have yet to see a thread just on this topic. Any thoughts on what (if any!) LCD's Apple might release at the upcoming MWSF? I guess the 19" is a bit expected and overdue - think it will be a Widescreen, what about the 17", faster and widescreen or just a (yawn) price reduction. The Apple screens look great, but for my dollar the Formac's beat them hands down on the speed, color and technology in general. I really think Apple needs an update of the 17" and a new 19". Cheers.

Does anyone think the new displays might be on an arm, similar to our iMac??

I think they might be able to pull something like this off. And it would eliminate the "viewing angle" statistic. :)

In all seriousness, I would buy one in a second.

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
I wouldnt mine a standalone LCD like the 17" iMac. Why do the iMacs have the smaller widescreens and us powermac users are stuck with third party, or spend an arm and a leg for a cinema display?

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by WannabeSQ
I wouldnt mine a standalone LCD like the 17" iMac. Why do the iMacs have the smaller widescreens and us powermac users are stuck with third party, or spend an arm and a leg for a cinema display?

How about this, and this is completely wild speculation.... but say you take an iMac's base. Remove the power supply, add a pci slot or two, and make an external power brick and call it the iMac Pro.

could that work?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Re: New LCD's?

Originally posted by BkkChris
I guess the 19" is a bit expected and overdue - think it will be a Widescreen, what about the 17", faster and widescreen or just a (yawn) price reduction.
If the price reductions are substantial, I wouldn't yawn at all. I doubt we'll see Apple take on Formac in a price war, but I think that a "price bump" on Apple displays would be a welcome annoucement.

As far as using the iMac base, how 'bout making a small version of the base and letting it be either desk-standing or wall-mountable?

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Re: New LCD's?

Originally posted by Doctor Q

As far as using the iMac base, how 'bout making a small version of the base and letting it be either desk-standing or wall-mountable?

i'd totally love a wall-mountable iMac styled flat panel. word.

:D

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
I'm not sure if a version of the iMac base could handle a LCD on an arm though, a lot of people keep the LCD on the iMac hanging over the front, if there's no counterbalance in the base then it'll surely tip over.

I can definately see new displays with a setup like that though, providing they don't trip over themselves.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
As the monitors get bigger, the balance problem will be exacerbated. The base will have to become bigger, heavier, or be attached to the desk/wall.

Another choice: make the base in the shape of a C-clamp, which you attach to the back or side of a desk or table.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I've got another idea for Apple. They should develop, manufacture, announce, and demonstrate wireless monitors using Ultra Wideband (UWB) technology. UWB can handle 3 to 10gbps (gigabits per second), sending signals via modulated "noise" across a range of frequencies. That's easily enough bandwidth to run a 1028x768 monitor at 72fps and 24-bit color, which comes to about 1.5gbps.

Apple has at least a week to develop this technology before MWSF, so it should be no problem for their engineers. I just hope they give MacRumors proper credit, with free samples for all of us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.