Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justbeamensch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
Detroit
I just purchased a new ibook 12" and it worked right out of the box with my linksys Broadband router that I used to use with my HP PC. Since then it's been connecting about half the time. I can connect with other routers next door but not always my own. Any tips, please?

prostuff1

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2005
Don't step into the kawoosh...
Have you run software update??

There was a problem earlier that would cause havic with airport in the newest rev iBooks. I had this problem and the aiprot update fixed it. The only thing i can remember was that the computer had to be maxed out with ram before the probelm occured.

A way to get arounf this is to use a program called Xupport (find on versiontracker.com) and then enable the setting that fouls the computer into thinking that it has less ram then it does.

justbeamensch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
Detroit
wireless woes

Thanks for the advice. What's weird is the iBook's meter says I'm getting a full signal, but I get the "you are not connected to the internet" screen.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
justbeamensch said:
Thanks for the advice. What's weird is the iBook's meter says I'm getting a full signal, but I get the "you are not connected to the internet" screen.

Usually when that happens (at least with PC's), the drivers are outdated or need to be reinstalled. I'd download airport software and re-install it.

jblock

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
I've found with my iBook that if I don't specify a router as a preferred network (in Network in System Preferences) it often tries to connect to another router in the area and gives the impression that it's dropping the signal often.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.