Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
As you might already know...I'm recently switching. I have the Microsoft Natural Pro keyboard for my (soon to be RIP) PC...I love it (the keyboard, that is). Heck it might even keep me from getting carpal tunnel (heh.)

Anyhow, it's not USB, and not Apple...so will it work with my Apple Powerbook?

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I would say no, but that would be taking the easy way out, so, what port does this keyboard use?

You might be able to get on of the ____ to USB connectors.

Anyway they aren't that great... I'm sure the powerbook keyboard is nice enough.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
WOW! Thank you for asking that question. After reading your post, I disconnected the PS/2 connection (what PC users use to connect their keyboard to the PC) to take a photo of it to show you. This keyboard also has a USB connection (has ports on the keyboard itself). Well, when I disconnected the PS/2 connection, I hear a couple of dings, and lo-and-behold, Windows XP installed new drivers for my "Microsoft Natural Pro Keyboard." (the usb connection was still plugged into the PC).

This is good news to me, because I love this keyboard..and it appears it will work via the USB connection only...so I think if I plug it into my powerbook, it will work.

We'll see tomorrow....

Attachments

• connection.jpg
    connection.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 323

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
UT
...and here is a photo of the keyboard that hopefully will work with my powermac via usb...whaddya think? will it work?

Attachments

• junk 008.jpg
    junk 008.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 339

GeneR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
The land of delusions, CA.
CoolBreeze...I agree with MrMacMan...

CoolBreeze,

I agree with MrMacman: I too had a temptation to simply tell you, "No! It doesn't work! Get a Mac keyboard!!!!"

Unfortunately, I don't have the objectivity and honesty that MrMacman has so, here goes:

"NOOOO!!! It doesn't work! Get a Mac keyboard!!!!!!"

Honestly, I don't know if it works or not. Best of luck. (And glad to hear you're switching over from the dark side...) :D

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Now, keyboard aside, didn't you read the iPod documentation? you shouldn't be charging it in it's carrying case, there can be heat issues...

MS mice work, so there's no reason this wouldn't... of course, there are other split-keyboards for Mac, if you should be so inclined to get one that's more aesthetically pleasing ;)

pnw

MacQuest

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2003
You See Dead People...
Juventuz already provided the solution...

coolbreeze-

First of all, Welcome to the Mac Community.

Secondly, I followed the link that Juventuz provided and verified that a] the Natural Keyboard Pro is discontinued, shouldn't matter though, and b] that there is a Mac OS X driver for the "Natural Keyboard Pro" but not the "Natural MultiMedia Keyboard".

I only mention the Natural Multimedia keyboard because there are so many buttons on yours and I wanted you to make sure that that is not the one you have.

If not, it should work fine

Again, welcome.

I'll re-post the link for you just in case:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/k...download_ns.asp

macgyver

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2003
no it doesn't work. that keyboard may have both USB and PS/2. but they are meant for different things.

the USB is for using the USB hub that's on the front of the keyboard, nothing more. the keyboard function still needs PS/2 port, which Macs don't have.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Hope you are sitting nice and high above that keyboard because if not arching your wrists up over that pad helps creates carpal syndrome. I have allways found that low and flat is better and i used to work in the medical field.

Welcome to the Mac World it appears you are thinking different!

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
IT WILL WORK!

I have two MS keyboards and they both work fine. The buttons are programmable as well... Just download the MS IntelliType software.

As long as it has a USB connection it will be fine. The PS/2-only keyboard don't work without an adapter.

To those of you making random guesses about whether something works or not, please just don't reply if you haven't the faintest idea what you are talking about!

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
Originally posted by macgyver
no it doesn't work. that keyboard may have both USB and PS/2. but they are meant for different things.

the USB is for using the USB hub that's on the front of the keyboard, nothing more. the keyboard function still needs PS/2 port, which Macs don't have.

Have you ever used one? Have one connected to your Mac? Probably not...

I am typing on one right now... The USB plug is connected to my Mac and there is a PS/2 connector dangling behind my desk... Don't state guesses as fact.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by paulwhannel
Now, keyboard aside, didn't you read the iPod documentation? you shouldn't be charging it in it's carrying case, there can be heat issues...

hey, you never know... maybe the other end of the fw cable isn't plugged in! haha.

macgyver

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2003
it was NOT a guess. I use the EXACT same keyboard for my PC. I plugged it into my dual 1ghz G4 tower, and it only sees the USB hub. Typing on it does nothing.

Don't be so quick to accuse people of guessing.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
calm down.

jeez, its only a keyboard. what does he loose for trying??? nothing.

if it work, GREAT. if it dont, awwwww

besides if he loves it alot he can get a PS/2 -> USB adaper.

he already has a USB hub (well he should) there for he can plug it all in.

see, now i was calm and i didnt attempt to blow anyones b***s off for stating their experiences.

shees, grown adults fighting like kiddies. (i am 17 :D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.