Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are the screenshots real or fake?

• Real

Votes: 119 26.1%
  • Fake

Votes: 337 73.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Some supposed screenshots of OS 10.5 Leopard are gaining some traction on the Mac web. Originally posted on this Blogger blog, the screenshots depict the following features:

- Mac OSX ability to run Windows programs natively (with Windows installed). Beta of IE 7 for Windows depicted.
- A refined metal interface (iTunes 5+) for Finder (with tabs)
- Multiple Desktops, with "peephole" switching effect
- iCal icon change, or integration with Address Book?

There is, of course the debate about whether or not the screenshots are real. Some of the valid points for each side are:

It's Real
- The screen switching effect only applies to the desktop windows and icons, and does not effect the menubar or dock

It's Fake
- The Internet Explorer window does not have a shadow on the right-hand side like other application windows do.
- Typically under-development software will list OS versions with the build. The screenshots only say "Version 10.5."

Raw Data: The screenshots have been mirrored on our servers here and here.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
That would be IE 7 running in the background, correct? If it's real, this is going to be huge. Running Windows app's natively on OS X?! :eek:

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
The second pic shows some kind of a transition to different desktop and the dock is not included in the transition as well as as the menu bar. This is just a background image that someone is using. :(

I do like the shortcuts idea in the Finder though. Tabs might be cool too.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Mac_Freak said:
The second pic shows some kind of a transition to different desktop and the dock is not included in the transition as well as as the menu bar. This is just a background image that someone is using. :(

I do like the shortcuts idea in the Finder though. Tabs might be cool too.

HAHA! I didn't even think about that!!!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
What is this icon? :confused:

Attachments

• 1.gif
    1.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 14,026

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
Cooknn said:
That would be IE 7 running in the background, correct? If it's real, this is going to be huge. Running Windows app's natively on OS X?! :eek:
= the end of native Mac development as we know it ;)

Yonizzle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Durham, NC
That "hole" effect for desktop switching is patently stupid. If you're going to have multiple desktops, chances are, you'll think of them as having some kind of side-by-side arrangement in 2-space. So if there's going to be a transition between them, something that shows an edge between them makes way more sense than the "hole", which implies that they're all stacked.

And it just looks dumber than any of Apple's eye candy thus far.

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
I'd like it to be real, and (more importantly), I'd like to think that mobody would spend the time to make up screen shots for fun.

Supposing it is real, what easy system level shortcuts are left that can be commandeered to switch desktops? And, more importantly, will there be a desktop expose feature (we need more corners!)?

Foocha

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2001
London
I think it's a fake, but there are some really great ideas here, and whoever produced it is clearly a serious Apple fan!

Ideas I really like include:

- multiple desktops (very handy in Linux)
- combining Address Book and iCal - about time
- a "classic environment" for Windows XP - wow!
- iLife '06 style user interface for Finder
- tabbed browsing for Finder - great for reducing screen clutter
- favourites in Finder

What's missing from this is an address field for the Finder, with "Go to Folder" command line style tab-completion. Also, keyhole effect is a bit daft - an Exposé style method of zooming out to view all your desktops at once would surely be more useful.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
For me they are definately fake because the 'peephole switching' effect is very lame and too complicated to be from Apple.

Apples graphical style is simple and concise. The peephole effect is too much eyecandy for very little reward. ;)

Also the RAM is wrong!

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Fake

Another reason why this is probably faked...

In the "About This Mac" window, the Windows version is listed as "XP with Service Pack 2".

Seems unlikely since the name of "Windows XP SP2" is never presented this way in Windows and this rendition doesn't provide more useful info about the Windows build number or even mention "Microsoft".

I think that Microsoft would insist that they get billing in that window.

Along with the version number being "10.5" with no build info, this is definitely fake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.