Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Theview1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
Midwest
I have a 2gb Nano that runs w/ Windows. When I tried to update it w/ the 6/28/2006 update it ran as normal, but then something went wrong. Now iTunes & the iPod Updater won't detect my ipod.

It shows up in my my computer list as an extra drive. The iPod itself seems fine, but my songs vanished from it. When I go into the settings of the iPod & select "About" the name I gave it has changed to IPOD_C~1. It list no songs on the iPod, but of my 2gb only 124mb are free. That's exactly how much was free when my songs were present. Also it shows that its been updated to version 1.2

I have tried the 5 R's and nothing phases it. The iPod operates fine w/ all the menus working as normal, but I can't get iTunes or the updater to detect it so I can use the updater to restore it.

I should add that I have only had this nano since June & it has had no problems at all. I'll so have 2 pcs w/ iTunes on them and I've tested it on both w/ the same results.

Any advice or ideas of things to try? Please offer suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

happy.buddha

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2005
New Hampshire
I would suggest rebooting the PC and then see if iTunes recognizes it, if it doesn't do a system restore on the PC back to a time when it was recognized and see if this helps, if that doesn't I'd actually suggest completely reformatting the iPod and starting over from scratch with it.

Theview1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
Midwest
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually did some reading on the Apple forums and it turns out this is happening to every windows Nano that runs that update. To resolve it I reformatted it using the disk management tool in the computer management screen. The the iPod updater actually will recognize it again & allow you to restore it. It works perfectly once again. I think its pretty crappy that problems topics are posted all over the Apple forums since the update came out and Apple hasn't corrected the problem w/ the update. Oh well, at least its fixed and at least it wasn't something I did wrong.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Glad everything worked out...and thanks for posting the future help for all those other windows users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.