Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
What do you think about QT? Is it better then Java? Is it worth writing in if you already know C++? How well does QT apps run on OS X?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
QT is a C++ environment that lets you compile your applications for almost any platform without the need for any porting. And without any environment needed on the end machine(like java needs)

iJed

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2001
West Sussex, UK
I recently tried this and, while my knowledge of C++ is not exactly that great, I found it to be pretty un-Mac like. It seems to support many things including sheets but other things remain totally foreign in the interface. I think you will get similar results to Java Swing or SWT using QT. So competing with the Cocoa apps out there will not be easy.

Google Earth for the Mac is the only app that I can think of which uses QT.

simon-says

macrumors regular
May 24, 2005
Louisiana
I have started to use Qt a lot lately. I work under some professors of mine doing a lot of work for the med center. We've recently been doing visualizations in OpenGL. Me and my co-worker are assigned to this project. He uses Linux (XUbuntu) at home, I of course use a Mac, but our work machines are Windows based. It was obvious we needed a cross platform toolkit. We went with Qt and haven't looked back. So far it's been great and easy to learn. Looks like a native application in whichever OS. If you are going for cross platform I'd say go with Qt. Personally I'm still going to learn Cocoa one of these days.

mattjgalloway

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
Yeup, I second the Qt movement.

I'm just starting to learn it too and it's so nice to learn given you have some C++ with STL background. They make everything really easy to use.

I suggest getting a book on it - try the prentice hall one which just came out called "C++ GUI Programming in Qt" - it's really good. I'm half way through now.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
Just make sure you've read the license conditions - Qt is not free in all circumstances and the license is quite restrictive about starting out developing on a 'free' license and then going commercial.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.