Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 31, 2006
London Town
Hey,

I love my Macbook, but by God are those speakers quiet!!!

Does anyone know any programme I can run on which will just make everything louder? I know it sounds stupid, but my music is barely audible sometimes!!

Thanks.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Use the Volume Adjustment setting in iTunes?

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,107

rodti

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2006
Scotland
Alternatively you could get an Airport Express and stream your iTunes music to any existing sound system in the room. :cool: Works for me!

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I wouldnt try overloading the MB speakers as you are likely to blow them. I have a G5 hooked up to my stereo with a simple audio connection . Infact thinking about Ive never heard my G5s own speaker. I bet its *****... thats if it even works! :D

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
Palad1 said:
My powerbook goes all the way up to eleven.

"Why don’t you just make 10 louder and make 10 be the top number, and make that a little louder?"
"These go to 11."

Awesome movie.

mattsh

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
Interestingly enough I was just coming here to post this question! I like my MacBook, however the speakers are very poor compared to my Dell Inspiron. I know you can't expect theater sound from them... but I also don't feel like I should have to strain to hear them!

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
I take it neither the OP or the poster above knows much about sound. If you make speakers go louder than they are supposed to, they either break, or will sound HORRIBLE.

mattsh

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2006
Jiddick ExRex said:
I take it neither the OP or the poster above knows much about sound. If you make speakers go louder than they are supposed to, they either break, or will sound HORRIBLE.

And you'd be wrong. I understnad you can't overdrive a speaker... however, the obvious fact that you can max out the Mac OSX speaker volume, and then max out iTunes volume control and get acceptable and crisp volume, indicates the speakers can go louder! The point is... we'd like to be able to get iTunes like volume out of ALL of our apps.. not just the apps with internal volume controls!

If you read around the Internet.. you'll learn that if you install Windows XP via Boot Camp, the volume is MUCH MUCH better. It clearly is a software limitation that Apple put in for some reason.

slabbius

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2006
mattsh said:
...If you read around the Internet.. you'll learn that if you install Windows XP via Boot Camp, the volume is MUCH MUCH better. It clearly is a software limitation that Apple put in for some reason.

Some reason probably being to help increase the longevity of the built in speakers that way 18 months from now Apple doesn't have a flock of users complaining about blown speakers

ishabisha

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2008
Vlc

If anyone has ever used VLC media player, http://www.videolan.org/vlc/,
they know that it will allow you to take the audio up to 400% of what is standard on a Mac.
I love this program b/c it lets me actually hear the movies that I'm watching. I just wish someone would develop something like this that would stay in the Control Panel.

~tim

ay-kay

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
VLC media player

Thanks above post!
i downloaded the player and the volume adjuster on it made the music much louder than standard the volume. The quality wasnt really lost. All i did was transfer all the music from my itunes to the library on the player; it literally took 5 second to transfer over 2,000 songs !

-the negative you have to play the music through the player but it does have a shuffle and search feature.

just incase my post isn't below the link here it is again. if it does not work type it into google.

-----If anyone has ever used VLC media player, http://www.videolan.org/vlc/,
they know that it will allow you to take the audio up to 400% of what is standard on a Mac.
I love this program b/c it lets me actually hear the movies that I'm watching. I just wish someone would develop something like this that would stay in the Control Panel.

haiggy

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2003
Ontario, Canada
http://www.joesoft.com/products/hear.php

Improves sound system wide, you can control certain applications, etc.

Basically adds software audio enhancements to anywhere you want and any type or style with lots of customizability.

The only gripe I had with the problem was when I used it with Ventrilo, it caused a memory leak in Ventrilo or something and had it use like 1.2 GB of memory instead of the 17 MB or so that it regularly would.........

Other than that it was fine and a good option to explore I suppose.

TVilleHockey41

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2008
Didn't want to make a new thread, thought I would ask in here.

I have external speakers connected to my Macbook, but sometimes the bass gets a bit loud. My dorm's walls are like paper, so I don't want to piss people off.

My question: Is there any program that I can use to turn the bass down while still using the external speakers? The speakers themselves don't have a bass adjustment on it.

Thanks

Olivier L.

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
Reducing the bass

My question: Is there any program that I can use to turn the bass down while still using the external speakers? The speakers themselves don't have a bass adjustment on it.

If this is when using iTunes, you can reduce the bass in the included equalizer.
(Window - Equalizer).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.