Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
twwheeler said:
Well, I can pickup where you left off - I still have my 'book and a Dell display - how can I help? What's our next step?

Find out how to make the colors not ridiculous ;)

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
vv-tim said:
Find out how to make the colors not ridiculous ;)

This might sound really dumb but the screen shots actually remind me of how OS X handles 256 colours on some LCD's. Anyways, out of curiousity vv-tim what file did you copy from when changing the colour profile? Maybe using a different file may yield better results? Say from an ACD 23" same rez etc... Other things you could try (I cannot remember if twwheeler has tried these yet) are nvram and pram resets. twwheeler have you tried cosplay configx yet? You will need that to lower the refresh of the display first and foremost. I can give you a colour profile file if you would be willing to give it a shot - remembering we don't know how to reverse it yet, though it wont affect the standard panel.

EDIT: Also can you try out the Callisto drivers they seem to enable refresh rate support etc.. and could make things quite interesting. I haven't read the full details but will get around to it soon as I plan on trying an osx86 machine for learning purposes. I have just gotten myself a Dull dual xeon (for Autocad) and thought I might try it out.

twwheeler

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2006
baxterbrittle said:
for learning purposes. I have just gotten myself a Dull dual xeon (for Autocad) and thought I might try it out.

I'll give it all a shot - I had not tried any of it yet; I didn't have a full copy of DCX, but I have grabbed the Callisto drivers in the hope that I'll get some time to give it a go.

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
bloodycape said:
I haven't read everything in this thread but is this possible? Putting a 12in powerbook screen on the 12in iBook? Thank you.

They are certainly compatable for some models. Check that the connector matches yours and you should be good to go. Why do you need to do this?

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
baxterbrittle said:
They are certainly compatable for some models. Check that the connector matches yours and you should be good to go. Why do you need to do this?
Would be nice to have a brighter screen on the ibook and my mother wants to use a architectural tool to see how she like it.

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
bloodycape said:
Would be nice to have a brighter screen on the ibook and my mother wants to use a architectural tool to see how she like it.

I'm pretty sure they are the same screen - so there will be little to no benefit for changing the screen from one in a powerbook. Maybe there are some 12" displays that are higher res (toshiba use one that is 1400 x 1050) but the PB one is same as iBook.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
mrdice87 said:
just found this article on digg. looks like the pmu had something to do with the display... could this solve the compatibility problems? :confused:

No, but it might solve the problem I had with Windows. As far I can tell, on the Intel Macs, resetting the PMU also resets the NVRAM, so... hopefully I can do Windows at 1920x1200 exclusively when I get this thing fixed.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
How about turning off beamsynch in OS X

One of the things that may be different in OS X than Xp is the Beamsynch:

Code:
to disable beamsync...

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

--------------------------------------------------------

values below...

0 = disable beamsync

1 = Auto beamsync

2 = force beamsync

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
stingerman said:
One of the things that may be different in OS X than Xp is the Beamsynch:

Code:
to disable beamsync...

defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

--------------------------------------------------------

values below...

0 = disable beamsync

1 = Auto beamsync

2 = force beamsync

Interesting. This is at least something to look into. Anyone else want to give it a try? If not I'll try it when I get my MBP back from repair (at least another week from Monday).

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I Am Brand New To This Thread And Want This For My 17" C2D MBP

I want this for my first C2D 17" MacBook Pro. Will you help us do it if Apple doesn't follow Alienware? Thanks in advance for your pioneering spirit. And congratulations on this groundbreaking work.

Will someone please steer me to the post #s where sources of these screens are and how much they will cost ala carte? Is the install very difficult? I am so excited to find this thread I haven't read much beyond the opening few posts. Sorry. Very excited and enthusiastic to find it's already being done 3rd party. I am a huge 1920 x 1200 fanboy.

1920 x 1200 seems to be a new 17" size manufacturers are making in quantity because Alienware only wants $100 more for it up from a meager 1440 x 900, Apple's 15" res, skipping Apple's 17" 1650 x 1050 res, which I think is a steal. I mean it almost looks like a misprint.

How I wish Apple would take a clue from Alienware and give us that kind of amazing display option for that kind of low additional BTO price, although I would pay any price they choose to have it. I'm even beginning to think of it in terms of a must have spec before I'll pull the trigger - probably not for sure yet. But now that I'm aware of it, thanks to saveranger's research, it's gonna gnaw at me a lot until Apple does offer it.

Oh My God! Look at this!

Alienware® m5550 15.4" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD +$200

up from 1280 x 800 -MacBook res- in a $999 Core 2 Duo 15.4" Laptop as well as the 17" version for +$100. That's 150% higher resolution for only $200 more. Incredible!! :eek:

Man their pricing is incredibly aggressive.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Baxter, Did You Take Digital Pictures Of Your Screen Change Operation?

baxterbrittle said:
Photoshop? Why would I bother. For me (not being particularly skilled in photoshop) it would take longer to do it in photoshop than to build it. With the right parts it could be built by me in less than an hour! It's not very hard at all. It would take me 12 hours in photoshop. Name whatever you like and I will do whatever I can to prove this is a real machine.
Baxter, did you by any chance take digital photos of your procedure while you were doing it so we could see exactly how you did it?

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Multimedia said:
I want this for my first C2D 17" MacBook Pro. Will you help us do it if Apple doesn't follow Alienware? Thanks in advance for your pioneering spirit. And congratulations on this groundbreaking work.

Will someone please steer me to the post #s where sources of these screens are and how much they will cost ala carte? Is the install very difficult? I am so excited to find this thread I haven't read much beyond the opening few posts. Sorry. Very excited and enthusiastic to find it's already being done 3rd party. I am a huge 1920 x 1200 fanboy.

1920 x 1200 seems to be a new 17" size manufacturers are making in quantity because Alienware only wants $100 more for it up from a meager 1440 x 900, Apple's 15" res, skipping Apple's 17" 1650 x 1050 res, which I think is a steal. I mean it almost looks like a misprint.

How I wish Apple would take a clue from Alienware and give us that kind of amazing display option for that kind of low additional BTO price, although I would pay any price they choose to have it. I'm even beginning to think of it in terms of a must have spec before I'll pull the trigger - probably not for sure yet. But now that I'm aware of it, thanks to saveranger's research, it's gonna gnaw at me a lot until Apple does offer it.

Oh My God! Look at this!

Alienware® m5550 15.4" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD +$200

up from 1280 x 800 -MacBook res- in a $999 Core 2 Duo 15.4" Laptop as well as the 17" version for +$100. That's 150% higher resolution for only $200 more. Incredible!! :eek:

Man their pricing is incredibly aggressive.

I've got to ask, how is this even useable? As it is, I've found that the text on 1920x1200 screens on 17" laptops to be just on the verge of being too tiny to read. 1920x1200 at 15" seems like it would be almost impossible to read text, etc. What's the point exactly? I understand you'd have more screen real estate, but it seems like it would be so small as to be limited in usefulness.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
System Makes Increasing Font Sizes Across Applications Easy

Zadillo said:
I've got to ask, how is this even useable? As it is, I've found that the text on 1920x1200 screens on 17" laptops to be just on the verge of being too tiny to read. 1920x1200 at 15" seems like it would be almost impossible to read text, etc. What's the point exactly? I understand you'd have more screen real estate, but it seems like it would be so small as to be limited in usefulness.
I agree it might not be as practical on the 15.4" as it may be on the 17", but the system does allow you to easily increase font sizes across everything so I don't think it's as big a deal as you might imagine.

I'm hoping this is academic as Apple finally offers this res in the C2D 17" model at least.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
Zadillo said:

Please keep this useless crap out of the thread. We've heard it fifty times already. We know you're blind. No one cares. Thanks.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
Zadillo said:

well, it really depends on how good your eyesight is. I can read text on a 1920x1200 15" screen just fine, and I would love it if my 17' PowerBook was 1920x1200. :cool:

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
vv-tim said:
Please keep this useless crap out of the thread. We've heard it fifty times already. We know you're blind. No one cares. Thanks.

:D Anymore progress guys? If not 1920x1200, then what about the 1600x1080 screens?

nevir

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
I'm curious as well - I'd really like to do this with my C2D MBP as well, assuming they stay below 1680x1050.

I do, however, have a Dell (Inspiron 8500), with a 1680 screen that I will try to transplant. Any idea on whether such a screen would be compatable, connection- and inverter-wise?

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
nevir said:
I'm curious as well - I'd really like to do this with my C2D MBP as well, assuming they stay below 1680x1050.

I do, however, have a Dell (Inspiron 8500), with a 1680 screen that I will try to transplant. Any idea on whether such a screen would be compatable, connection- and inverter-wise?

Well, take a picture of the connectors on the Dell screen and I'll let you know.

But the 1680x1050 display is most likely going to run into the same problems we're running into with the 1920x1200 display. Since noone has tried it after fixing the frequency issues, there's a slim chance it won't have the color problems, but that remains to be seen.

No advances yet on my part... still haven't gotten the machine fixed of its major issues.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
vv-tim said:
Well, take a picture of the connectors on the Dell screen and I'll let you know.

But the 1680x1050 display is most likely going to run into the same problems we're running into with the 1920x1200 display. Since noone has tried it after fixing the frequency issues, there's a slim chance it won't have the color problems, but that remains to be seen.

No advances yet on my part... still haven't gotten the machine fixed of its major issues.

What I don't get is, how did the original poster get his screen working in the first post, and no one else seems to be able to do that. Was it because he was using a Powerbook instead of an MBP, or what?

nevir

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
venom600 said:
What I don't get is, how did the original poster get his screen working in the first post, and no one else seems to be able to do that. Was it because he was using a Powerbook instead of an MBP, or what?

Yeah, that seems to be the main difference.

vv-tim said:

Will do - I'll try to get around to that tonight

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
venom600 said:

Powerbooks are different in two ways:

- They don't use EFI
- They use older (lower refresh rate) screens

That is why it worked for Powerbooks and not [yet] for MBPs.

nevir

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
nevir said:
Will do - I'll try to get around to that tonight

Don't have the time to dissemble my lappy atm, but this should be the same screen, can't find any closeups of the adapter, yell if that's too difficult to tell

8600lcd.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.