Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freddyflinty

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2006
baxterbrittle said:
Rev C iMac would be the only PPC iMac to attempt this with as they moved to LVDS cables on the Rev C. Your on you own after that however because nobady has tried it although I am sorely tempted. You can still run external display using screen spanning doctor but only VGA - Does work quite nicely with a Dell 24". With the Core Duo imacs I think you will still have the same probs as we're having but then again maybe not. The panels in the MBP's are quite a new panel but I believe the panels in the iMacs are the same ones they have been using for a while (technoloically speaking). It may work but we won't know until somebody tries. I say give it a shot.

EDIT: one thing to note is te iMac actually use 2 connectors for the inverter/backlight how this will affect the transplant? I don't know, my guess would be that you would use one and leave the other disconnected. The laptop display probably wont be as bright though.

Wow -- excellent info. So it seems like my options are:

1) 17" G4 Powerbook (any revision?)

2) Rev C iMac G5 (I assume this is the final G5 model with iSight and Frontrow).

If I go with the Powerbook and it works, the end result will be factory perfect. If I got with the iMac, I will end up with a lower brightness than the factory panel but similar to if the panel were placed in a Notebook.

Does that sound right?

Lastly, how do I confirm the WUXGA panel I am buying has an LVDS connector? Do all late model VAIOs have LVDS?

Thanks!

boss

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2006
LCD panel of MBP was exchanged made by Sharp.
Even if the screen of the Apple logo and the gray is not displayed, and OSX starts, the screen is not displayed though it turns on power and it started.

When an external display is connected, the start screen is displayed in that.

Windows is installed with boot camp.
After exchanging LCD panel, are some initialization necessary?

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
Ok, here's the long awaited screenshots of my work...

First picture is OS X at our present "success" stage. Proper refresh rate handling and there is a full 1920x1200 resolution... but we have the "color" problem.

Second picture is OS X installer with the refresh rate problem.

Third picture is Windows after my MBP went nuts with this new problem that... currently has no solution.

Attachments

• crazyosx.jpg
    crazyosx.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 618
  • badrefresh.jpg
    badrefresh.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 429
  • dumbmac.jpg
    dumbmac.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 521

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
wow. thats thats pretty and ugly at the same time. your so close but still so far away. I have an awful feeling that the day you get this to work, apple will release the true hd mbp :rolleyes: . any way wow that pretty screwed up.

edit: ps whats wrong with windows. i cant tell cuase the picture is a bit fuzzy.

boss

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2006
Is there trying Sharp LCD Panel LQ154M1LW02 it is making MacBook Pro a high
resolution?
Even LCD made of Sharp : though was writing that similar resulted.
The screen is not displayed at all even if it turns on power though this LCD was
obtained and replaced.
It is displayed in former LCD.
Please teach if there is a confirmed point.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
Rokem said:
wow. thats thats pretty and ugly at the same time. your so close but still so far away. I have an awful feeling that the day you get this to work, apple will release the true hd mbp :rolleyes: . any way wow that pretty screwed up.

edit: ps whats wrong with windows. i cant tell cuase the picture is a bit fuzzy.

That's the problem. That's a focused picture of Windows :] It appears to be interlacing the display vertically, which causes everything to appear fuzzy.

boss said:
Is there trying Sharp LCD Panel LQ154M1LW02 it is making MacBook Pro a high
resolution?
Even LCD made of Sharp : though was writing that similar resulted.
The screen is not displayed at all even if it turns on power though this LCD was
obtained and replaced.
It is displayed in former LCD.
Please teach if there is a confirmed point.

I'm not really sure what you're saying. Chances are that until you get the LCD to boot into OS X and go into the Display Settings, you won't have any picture during the boot loader. I used an external display to get that. If you want to use it in Windows you have to reset your PRAM and then go through the boot loader blindly and load Windows. Then it should work.

boss

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2006
>>vv-tim
LCD of MBP is not connected though the setting of the display was confirmed by both OSX and Windows.
It is displayed that only one external display is connected.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
boss said:
>>vv-tim
LCD of MBP is not connected though the setting of the display was confirmed by both OSX and Windows.
It is displayed that only one external display is connected.

Obviously you'll only have one EXTERNAL display.

jrsade

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2006
Hello,

I follow this thread with great interest.

Well, I have been using WUXGA displays in Dell notebooks for the last 3 years. And I can tell, there is NO disadvantage to have a higher resolution. I will NEVER go back to anything less than that. That's why I don't have a MacBook Pro.

Although these panels are available for quite some time, Apple simply does not provide them. Steve is such a clever guy, but there some tiny things that he simply doesn't understand.

I'm not quite sure if it is the right way for us customers to buy a 17" Macbook Pro for US$2500, then spend another US$300 for a LCD panel at eBay, fiddle around for weeks and even loose any warranty. Maybe it would be better to show some interest towards apple to convince them to provide it finally. It's about time!

I am sure in one of the next keynote speeches Steve will announce it (if HD has fully established, in order to view it natively) as a new world wonder - although it is hard cheese already.

Just my thoughts.

jrsade

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
jrsade said:
Hello,

I follow this thread with great interest.

Well, I have been using WUXGA displays in Dell notebooks for the last 3 years. And I can tell, there is NO disadvantage to have a higher resolution. I will NEVER go back to anything less than that. That's why I don't have a MacBook Pro.

Although these panels are available for quite some time, Apple simply does not provide them. Steve is such a clever guy, but there some tiny things that he simply doesn't understand.

I'm not quite sure if it is the right way for us customers to buy a 17" Macbook Pro for US$2500, then spend another US$300 for a LCD panel at eBay, fiddle around for weeks and even loose any warranty. Maybe it would be better to show some interest towards apple to convince them to provide it finally. It's about time!

I am sure in one of the next keynote speeches Steve will announce it (if HD has fully established, in order to view it natively) as a new world wonder - although it is hard cheese already.

Just my thoughts.

jrsade

I've read over the actual terms of the warranty, and there's nothing in the warranty that says you can't replace the screen or remove your thermal paste... or whatever.

I've heard a lot of people talking about "voiding the warranty" and it's simply not true unless you break the screen while you're tinkering.

jrsade

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2006
vv-tim said:
I've read over the actual terms of the warranty, and there's nothing in the warranty that says you can't replace the screen or remove your thermal paste... or whatever.

I've heard a lot of people talking about "voiding the warranty" and it's simply not true unless you break the screen while you're tinkering.

Maybe you are right. I doubt it.

However, that was not the point of what I've written...

jrsade

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
jrsade said:
Maybe you are right. I doubt it.

However, that was not the point of what I've written...

jrsade

Well thank you for adding absolutely nothing new to the thread... for we've already had people say Apple should release a HD notebook, the rebuttles for why they won't, and the complaints following... We've had people that say 1920x1200 is useless, those that say it's great, and arguments about that as well.

Please don't bring an attitude into this thread, especially with the people that are actually doing the work to try to get this working.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
god, this is hysterical.

I love that you guys have had fun modding your powerbook/ MBP's to what you need.

honestly, i wish apple would just make some models with options to buy a nicer screen with higher res.

ie, offer a model with optional offerings
1- Better mobil video card for games or HDTV Playback
2- Blu-Ray Drive. to record large files and playback movies/tv
3- HDMI output. so you can play back movies or files to larger tv's.

this would also be nice for towers or a media center.

DarkHelmut

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2006
Display Overrides

I can't find the specific post right now, but at one point I remember vv-tim had tried to create a display profile for osx.

The files I'm refering to live in /System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-*

These files are specific to the monitor, so I wouldn't expect copying one from some other random manufacturer/model on the same system to work. However, the display is working fine on baxterbrittle's Powerbook, correct?

My suggestion is for vv-tim to copy the working DisplayProductID-* file from baxterbrittle's PowerBook and see if it works on his MacBook Pro. They may not have the exact same monitor as each other, but it's bound to be a closer match then anything that came with vv-tim's MacBook Pro right?

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
DarkHelmut said:
I can't find the specific post right now, but at one point I remember vv-tim had tried to create a display profile for osx.

The files I'm refering to live in /System/Library/Displays/Overrides/DisplayVendorID-*

These files are specific to the monitor, so I wouldn't expect copying one from some other random manufacturer/model on the same system to work. However, the display is working fine on baxterbrittle's Powerbook, correct?

My suggestion is for vv-tim to copy the working DisplayProductID-* file from baxterbrittle's PowerBook and see if it works on his MacBook Pro. They may not have the exact same monitor as each other, but it's bound to be a closer match then anything that came with vv-tim's MacBook Pro right?

I believe baxter actually just copied over his old panel's overrides and renamed the vendorID to correspond with his new panel.

When I messed with the whoe overrides thing I somehow managed to make it not even work in Windows :(

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
vv-tim said:
I believe baxter actually just copied over his old panel's overrides and renamed the vendorID to correspond with his new panel.

When I messed with the whoe overrides thing I somehow managed to make it not even work in Windows :(

That is true I did just copy over that is used for a TiBook actually. vv-tim I can send you the original file that OS X created for this display if you have the display still in the machine which I assume you don't. Just one quick question, did OS X change at all when you changed the display profile or was it only Windows? If OS X did change what was it like or how different was it before it changed? Also I cannot tell that well from the small size of the photo of OS X but are some of the icons actually OK/Normal? Can you email me a bigger version of the photo's by any chance?

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
baxterbrittle said:
That is true I did just copy over that is used for a TiBook actually. vv-tim I can send you the original file that OS X created for this display if you have the display still in the machine which I assume you don't. Just one quick question, did OS X change at all when you changed the display profile or was it only Windows? If OS X did change what was it like or how different was it before it changed? Also I cannot tell that well from the small size of the photo of OS X but are some of the icons actually OK/Normal? Can you email me a bigger version of the photo's by any chance?

If I remember properly, nothing in OS X really changed at all.
None of the icons are 100% correct. The closest is the folders that are blue, but yeah.

Drop me a PM with your email and I can send you the 6MP shots.

mrdice87

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2006
It looks like the real question here is why baxter's mod worked, but no one elses did...

P.S. This may have been answered already. I didn't feel like reading 270 posts

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
mrdice87 said:
It looks like the real question here is why baxter's mod worked, but no one elses did...

P.S. This may have been answered already. I didn't feel like reading 270 posts

well for starters they have completly diffrent computers...

also vvtim,
do you think you try to install a copy of linux, or get a live boot cd to try. I'm not sure if there are any that work with the mbp. also if you need any orginial files/folders/etc. to get your laptop to work, just ask.

thebeephaha

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Seattle WA
vv-tim, you said the panel is all messed up in windows now too even...

Is it possible whatever tweaks you did in OS X could have somehow damaged the panel, like incorrect settings overdriving the panel??

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
SiliconAddict said:
I'd be more interested in this once Leopard with its res independent UI shows up. For now? Too small. Cool. But too small.

This has been addressed a billion times before. "Resolution independant UI" is a load of bull. It's just market-speak for widgets that resize (Windows has had this forever...) and encouraging develoeprs to use vector graphics that scale with the widgets. Websites aren't going to be "resolution independant"... neither are games, and those are the reasons for even getting a higher res display.

So resolution independant UI = pointless.

vv-tim

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2006
thebeephaha said:
vv-tim, you said the panel is all messed up in windows now too even...

Is it possible whatever tweaks you did in OS X could have somehow damaged the panel, like incorrect settings overdriving the panel??

I'm not sure what settings Mac OS X stores in the "BIOS" and whatnot. I may have needed to reset the NVRAM to fix it, at the time I didn't know that was a separate procedure from resetting PRAM.

I plan on sending this in for repair on Monday or I'd try the 1920x1200 panel in Windows again.

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2005
vv-tim said:
This has been addressed a billion times before. "Resolution independant UI" is a load of bull. It's just market-speak for widgets that resize (Windows has had this forever...) and encouraging develoeprs to use vector graphics that scale with the widgets. Websites aren't going to be "resolution independant"... neither are games, and those are the reasons for even getting a higher res display.

So resolution independant UI = pointless.

I agree it really is quite useless. I've played around on Tiger and Leopard and it just looks awful. You can easily increase text size by hitting "Apple +" in safari etc...

Can we please stop having the discussion of whether 1920 x 1200 is too small or not? If you are not interested in running that sort of resolution then you have no interest here. This is NOT a rumor thread despite the site it is hosted on - We are not interested in your opinion on whether Apple should do this in future revisions of MBP (It would be nice) but it does not help those of us whom are working adding the capabilities that Apple hasn't yet provided. If you want to talk about whether Apple should or should not provide this option please feel free to start your own thread on the topic.

Thank you.

twwheeler

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2006
vv-tim said:
I plan on sending this in for repair on Monday or I'd try the 1920x1200 panel in Windows again.

Well, I can pickup where you left off - I still have my 'book and a Dell display - how can I help? What's our next step?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.