Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
Ok, so i got a new nokia 6133, which is a great phone by the way. The only down side from it is that you can't use mp3s as ringtones, because tmobile wants you to buy their crap. however, i read some where that if you conver the mp3 into an AAC or WMA file it won't be a problem. Does anyone know how to do this? I own the music, I own the phone out right (bought without contract), so t-mobile shouldn't be able to tell me what to do with my phone and my music.... B&ST&RDS! :D

If anyone could help that would be great, thanks.

chrisdazzo

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2006
Mountains
Ok, so i got a new nokia 6133, which is a great phone by the way. The only down side from it is that you can't use mp3s as ringtones, because tmobile wants you to buy their crap. however, i read some where that if you conver the mp3 into an AAC or WMA file it won't be a problem. Does anyone know how to do this? I own the music, I own the phone out right (bought without contract), so t-mobile shouldn't be able to tell me what to do with my phone and my music.... B&ST&RDS! :D

If anyone could help that would be great, thanks.

mobile17.com/ :D totally free, works with almost EVERYTHING. i've used it more times than i can count, and it still works wonders for me. check it out.

ExileinBlonde

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2006
-Pick your song in iTunes.
-Highlight chosen song and click "Get Info".
-Open the "Options" tab.
-Adjust the time setting to the exact time you wish to use for the chosen ringtone.
-Click "OK".
-Click on "Advanced" in the toolbar.
-Click "Convert AAC to MP3".
Your chosen ringtone will appear beneath the original song in your iTunes library. Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions!

drater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
-Pick your song in iTunes.
-Highlight chosen song and click "Get Info".
-Open the "Options" tab.
-Adjust the time setting to the exact time you wish to use for the chosen ringtone.
-Click "OK".
-Click on "Advanced" in the toolbar.
-Click "Convert MP3 to AAC".
Your chosen ringtone will appear beneath the original song in your iTunes library. Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions!

I did try all of that, it worked (thank you). It plays on my phone via the music player and I did shrink the time down to 15 seconds so that it wouldn't be because of that. But it still won't play as a ringtone. I guess t-mobile fixed the phone so that you couldn't do that. Those little #%$#@ers If anyone finds a solution let me know, cause i'm searching. The error says, "can not be set as ringtone" or "not allowed by activation key".

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I guess t-mobile fixed the phone so that you couldn't do that. Those little #%$#@ers If anyone finds a solution let me know, cause i'm searching. The error says, "can not be set as ringtone" or "not allowed by activation key".
I don't think T-Mobile disables personal ringtone uploads. I have a T-Mobile phone (Moto) and I do not have any problems. It might be due to Nokia's setup.

drater

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
The bowels of CT
I don't think T-Mobile disables personal ringtone uploads. I have a T-Mobile phone (Moto) and I do not have any problems. It might be due to Nokia's setup.

oh, i know, i've had plenty of phones--way too many phones. The other nokia i have had work just fine. And mp3 ringtones work on the nokia 6131, which is the same phone, made for europe, not specifically for t-mobile.

But even logically, its easy to make an mp3 a ringtone on a phone. But to make it not one, when you sell ringtones for 2 bucks a pop, now that's making sure you make money. Sorta like verizon does with a lot of their phones.

***besides, i called both t-mobile and nokia and asked them about it. They both said it was t-mobile's doing. :mad:

mannix87

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2005
in the southeast
oh, i know, i've had plenty of phones--way too many phones. The other nokia i have had work just fine. And mp3 ringtones work on the nokia 6131, which is the same phone, made for europe, not specifically for t-mobile.

But even logically, its easy to make an mp3 a ringtone on a phone. But to make it not one, when you sell ringtones for 2 bucks a pop, now that's making sure you make money. Sorta like verizon does with a lot of their phones.

***besides, i called both t-mobile and nokia and asked them about it. They both said it was t-mobile's doing. :mad:

most units that are locked by a network provider can be disabled if you know where to go...unless. of course, there's some missing hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.