Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oligore

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006

Some guy at school recently changed what my "about this mac window" says. Could some one help me its hard to install some stuff with it?
(I think he changed in in the system folder)

My versions 10.3.9 but it says 10.9.4

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
Uhm, I generally don't recommend mucking about in the /System directory, but this is the location. It should be the same as Tiger. Edit this file (TextEdit.app is fine):

/System/Library/CoreServices/loginwindow.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AboutThisMac.strings

Look for the line: "ABOUT_BOX_VERSION_FORMAT_STRING" And it will probably say Version 10.9.4 -- it should say Version %@

EDIT: I suppose I oughta make an amendment to this. You won't be able to save directly back to the file because of permission issues. I'd do a "Save As..." to your desktop and drag it back into the folder, which will ask for your password.

oligore

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
It must be different in mine i cant find it in the file.
/**** About Box Strings and Formatting *****/

/*The tooltip text for More Info button in About box */
"MORE_INFO_TOOL_TIP" = "This button launches %@ for more info about the System.";

/* The tooltip text explaining why the More Info button is disabled in About box */
"MORE_INFO_DISABLED_TOOL_TIP" = "This button is disabled because there is no System Profiler application.";

/*The tooltip text for Software Update button in About box */
"SOFTWARE_UPDATE_TOOL_TIP" = "This button launches %@ to check for updated software.";

/* The tooltip text explaining why the Software Update button is disabled in About box */
"SOFTWARE_UPDATE_DISABLED_TOOL_TIP" = "This button is disabled because there is no Software Update application."; // CLM

/* The format string used to generate the Build text field in the About This Mac window. */
/* The "%@" sequence is replaced by the build number. */
"ABOUT_BOX_BUILD_FORMAT_STRING" = "Build %@";

/* The format string used to generate the Version text field in the About This Mac window. */
/* The "%@" sequence is replaced by the version number. */
"ABOUT_BOX_VERSION_FORMAT_STRING" = "Version %@";

/* The format string used to generate the Serial Number text field in the About This Mac window. */
/* The "%@" sequence is replaced by the serial number. */
"ABOUT_BOX_SERIAL_NUMBER_FORMAT_STRING" = "Serial Number %@";

/* The string used as a label for the processor information. */
"ABOUT_BOX_PROCESSOR_LABEL" = "Processor"; // CLM

/* The string used as a label for the memory information. */
"ABOUT_BOX_MEMORY_LABEL" = "Memory"; // CLM

/* The format string used to generate the Processor text field in the About This Mac window */
/* when there is exactly one processor in the machine. The localized string */
/* must include the 2-character sequence "%@" which will be replaced in the */
/* final UI with a description of the processor (e.g. "600 MHz PowerPC G3") */
//"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "Processor: %@";
"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@";
"ABOUT_BOX_SINGLE_PROCESSOR_L3CACHE_FORMAT" = "%@ L3 cache";

/* The format string used to generate the Processor text field in the About This Mac window */
/* when there are two or more processors in the machine. The localized string */
/* must include the 2-character sequence "%@" which will be replaced in the */
/* final UI with a description of the processors (e.g. "Dual 800 MHz PowerPC G4") */
//"ABOUT_BOX_MULTIPLE_PROCESSORS_FIELD_FORMAT" = "Processors: %@";
"ABOUT_BOX_MULTIPLE_PROCESSORS_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@";
"ABOUT_BOX_MULTIPLE_PROCESSORS_L3CACHE_FORMAT" = "%@ L3 cache per processor";

/* The format string used to generate the Memory text field in the About This Mac window. */
/* The localized string must include the 2-character sequence "%@" which will be replaced */
/* in the final UI with a description of the memory (e.g. "256 MB") */
//"ABOUT_BOX_MEMORY_FIELD_FORMAT" = "Memory: %@";
"ABOUT_BOX_MEMORY_FIELD_FORMAT" = "%@%@";

/* The string used to describe the type of memory for CPUs with built-in memory. */
"ABOUT_BOX_BUILT-IN_MEMORY" = "Built-in"; // CLM
EDIT I found it in the spot u said: loginwindow.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/AboutThisMac.strings

It just seems to have examples of stuff
thanks any way

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
Yeah, and looking at the particular line it looks as though it has the right properties set.

Uhm, well, it could have been set in the AboutThisMac.nib file (which is in the same folder as AboutThisMac.strings). It could be that the person modified the .nib -- if this is the case then whoever did it is ridiculously irresponsible.

If you have the developer tools installed, you can try opening the "AboutThisMac.nib" and seeing if it's been hardcoded.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
What type of Mac do you have, oligore? Did Apple ever fix the screen dim bug for the MacBooks? God I hope so. It's annoying.

oligore

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 22, 2006
What type of Mac do you have, oligore? Did Apple ever fix the screen dim bug for the MacBooks? God I hope so. It's annoying.
yer that came out late 2009 the year they released the powerbook G6

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Well it's nice to know that the G3 will be supported until 10.9. But why don't you try to get your friend to fix it if he messed it up he should know how to fix it.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
But why don't you try to get your friend to fix it if he messed it up he should know how to fix it.

the OP doesn't make it sound like they're friends (he said "some guy" not "my friend") and what kind of friend would mess up your computer's system files? not cool.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The file you're looking for is /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist.

You'll obviously have to change permissions in order to alter that file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.