Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
So i finally got around to trying out parallels and i have to say its better than i expected. It VERY fast for a virtual machine. Even did some analysis and the results....well look below. You need 2GB to somewhat comfortably use this....4GB preferred.

However it still needs work. USB devices such as thumb drives and iPods aren't recognised due to conflicts with OS X and no gaming. Overall i prefer it to Bootcamp simply because i don't have to restart everytime, i can switch/transfer files between OSX/XP seamlessly, keyboard layout is preserved which can be a problem as i still dunno how to get the 3 finger salute (Ctrl-Alt-Del) and i get my backlit keyboard function . Whats not to like?

Attachments

• picture1ph3.png
    picture1ph3.png
    47.8 KB · Views: 186
  • picture2gh9.png
    picture2gh9.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 134

kentrox99

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I installed it this weekend and am very impressed as well. I am running Win2k and Fedora Core 6 on a macbook. I have 1 gig of memory and both linux and windows run great.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
I use Parallels with 1.25GB RAM and it works fine. I was using it with 512MB RAM, but that was kind of slow, but still useable. It's a great application!

I really wish flash drives were supported, as you said, the unmounting in OS X and trying it in Parallels doesn't work. OS X finds it again and Parallels says it's already being used. I haven't tried my external HD yet, but I'm guessing the same thing will happen!

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
Thanks for the pics. I'm looking to try this as soon as it will work with my existing BC partition-- as it stands, it won't for some reason.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
Thanks for the pics. I'm looking to try this as soon as it will work with my existing BC partition-- as it stands, it won't for some reason.

Yeah i tried but it wouldn't work so i just started from scratch and cloned my BC partition into parallels (manually) and then deleted the BC partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.