Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCe Cube

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 16, 2005
Near Glasgow, Scotland
Ive always wondered what that ticked box to the left of a song is. What happens if I untick this?

Ive been using iTunes every day for the last 1 and a half years, but I still have no clue.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
it has multipule uses. you can use it so that songs that aren't checked don't get synced with your iPod for example, and i don't believe songs that are unchecked will play in iTunes either.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
As PlaceOfDis said, there are multiple uses. Unchecking an item prevents syncing to iPods, it can be used to exclude items from Smart Playlists, and it prevents inclusion in Party Shuffle as well, if I'm not mistaken.

During CD importing, unchecking a track prevents it from being imported to the Library.

I'd uncheck only those songs I don't care to listen to but just happen to have, or perhaps old podcasts or other long files that are seldom played.

Blackhawk2006

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2006
unchecked boxes means say u had 3 songs and the one in the middle was unchecked and then u played the first song .. it would skip to the last song.
hope that makes sense and it doesnt in anyway harm itunes or delete anything

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Is there a way to uncheck multiple boxes at a time?

Yes. Highlight those you want unchecked. Then right-click in Windows (Command-click in Mac, I believe). The popup menu will have a Uncheck Selection option. Click it, and all highlighted items will be unchecked.

As Blackhawk2006 says, this won't delete any of the file(s). It tends to take the song(s) "out of rotation" instead. You can still click on an unchecked file manually to play it.

MeWannaMac

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
Well now I know what the ticks do.... Thx guys and gals and the one that started this post....

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Yes. Highlight those you want unchecked. Then right-click in Windows (Command-click in Mac, I believe). The popup menu will have a Uncheck Selection option. Click it, and all highlighted items will be unchecked.
Actually, you can also right-click on the Mac, or Ctrl-click depending on what mouse you have. But Command-click does have powers too! It will uncheck/check all the tunes in the current view! Try it; you'll love it!

Shamster

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2009

As Blackhawk2006 says, this won't delete any of the file(s). It tends to take the song(s) "out of rotation" instead. You can still click on an unchecked file manually to play it.

I have iTunes 4.6.0.15 and there is no option to check/uncheck selection at all. The previous version did have it. Is there a way to uncheck selection, or is this a fault in this version. Perhaps I could try downloading the latest version...

nlivo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2007
Ballarat, Australia
is there a way you can make the unchecked songs so that they dont sync to your ipod, or iphone, but they still play?

at the moment i have a 'comment' in all the songs i want with 'iPhone' in it. then make a smart playlist to include all of them and then sync my iphone to that playlist. i'm looking to get rid of this method...

can the ticks do that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.