Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
Hi

I have a non-HD CRT television which has a component input on the back. Will AppleTV work with it?

Thanks.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Hi

I have a non-HD CRT television which has a component input on the back. Will AppleTV work with it?

Thanks.

are you sure that's a component input rather than a composite input? if you know the difference and sure it's a component input, then yes.

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
It is component, it has blue, red and green, connectors. It just doesn't have audio connectors, so I'll probably buy have to buy a cheap surround system.

zathras

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2005
North AL
I believe it has to be a widescreen set that supports at least 480p resolution according to their site.

That is the main thing that is confusing to me about the Apple TV, making it support older TVs would have added very little cost and made it available to a much larger audience. Sure the menus will look great in HD but the videos will be very lacking...

I think I'll just buy a dock for my iPod to watch iTunes content on my TV...

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
I believe it has to be a widescreen set that supports at least 480p resolution according to their site.

That is the main thing that is confusing to me about the Apple TV, making it support older TVs would have added very little cost and made it available to a much larger audience. Sure the menus will look great in HD but the videos will be very lacking...

I think I'll just buy a dock for my iPod to watch iTunes content on my TV...

There are many non-HDTV TVs with component video connectors. Some of them are not widescreen. I strongly think that a 4:3 TV with component video will work with the Apple TV as long as it supports 480p by letterboxing.

Joshua.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.