Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lOUDsCREAMEr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Safari desert
For the sake of the whole mac community :p , brave me picked up a Xbox Live Vision Cam from a local ToysRUs (299HKD, around 39 US bucks or 45 maple dollars), to see if it really works with 10.4.9 without a hack/driver~~

the whole thing apparently comes with the cam itself (ofcoz), a useless Xbox Live headset & some sort of Xbox Live trial gaming membership card~~

AND YES, IT JUST WORKS!! :apple:

424019084_d4c1e63e1d_o.jpg

thatz pretty much the quality you can expect~~

lOUDsCREAMEr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2006
Safari desert
the quality is alot better when i turn on the light & manually adjusted the focus ring~~

Attachments

• cam 2.jpg
    cam 2.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 1,388

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France
Hey, that's not so bad! I got myself an eyetoy not too long ago. It works fine with macam, but maybe I'll look into the xbox live cam soon. Could you post more pics under different lighting situations?

phidauex

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2007
Wow, it even looks kind of 'mac-y'. I guess this is one time when Microsoft trying to emulate macs works in our favor. :)

For 40$, this is going to be a handy option for all those people who didn't want to pay 300$ for an iSight on ebay. :)

What are the details on the headset? Sure it is useless?

peace,
sam

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Ooh... I despise MS products and the XBox reflexively, but I'm cheap and that looks like a sweet deal (and based on precident, MS probably loses money on it if you don't sign up for XBox live).

But do I take the "useless headset" comments to mean that the camera has no sound input and the headset doesn't work with 10.4.9? That'd add another purchase if you wanted to use it for iChat.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Awesome....I'll pick on up soon, for 40 bucks for a camera for Xbox 360 (one day) and my Mac(now), very much worth 40 dollars

Zorkon

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2003
Kamloops BC
For 40$, this is going to be a handy option for all those people who didn't want to pay 300$ for an iSight on ebay. :)

Just in case some folks missed it (although I imagine the majority of readers here are aware of this), the latest OS X update (10.4.9) includes support for USB video cameras in iChat. So I imagine that more than just the XBox Live camera will work.

From the 10.4.9 release notes:

iChat, iCal, and iSync

* Resolves an issue in which iCal reminders may appear off to the side of the screen.
* Resolves an issues in which some events added to particular dates may not display correctly.
* Event notes are now synced between iCal and Nokia N70 phones.
* Adds iSync support for more devices.
* Includes iChat support for USB Video Class webcams.

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
This will be great for people who don't want to shell out the insane eBay costs for a used iSight and still want a quality cam. Plus it looks like it actually has "the mac look"

macgpscs1

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2007
Out of curiosity, just tried plugging in my PS2 EyeToy, and it didn't work.

I have an iMac G5 running 10.4.9

There's a possibility that USB webcams may still not work on PowerPC Macs - the USB kernel extensions have been updated in the Intel version of 10.4.9 but not the PPC version.

Can anyone confirm whether or not they now have a USB webcam working with 10.4.9 on a PowerPC Mac and/or Intel Macs?

lOUDsCREAMEr, what's your machine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.