Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hanaya

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2007
State College, PA
Just bought an xbox live vision

After finding this thread, I picked up an xbox live vision, and it doesn't work!

I plug it in and try to use macam, and it says Status: No Camera!

After seeing all these posts of "I plugged it in and it worked!" I don't get why it's not working for me, and when i look at the shots people posted, it says "My Video Camera" at the top. What program is that?

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France
After finding this thread, I picked up an xbox live vision, and it doesn't work!

I plug it in and try to use macam, and it says Status: No Camera!

After seeing all these posts of "I plugged it in and it worked!" I don't get why it's not working for me, and when i look at the shots people posted, it says "My Video Camera" at the top. What program is that?

First of all, you have to use 10.4.9 in order for it to work. Everything below 10.4.8 won't work.

And the program people are testing with is ichat. Try that.

Mavimao

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2005
Lyon, France
Wooo, it works with iChat!

Now, when I open up a video chat in iChat, it kills the music in iTunes. Does anyone know anything about that?

...so you can talk with people without them hearing your iTunes music blaring in their ears....

But if you want that, I think there's a preference in iChat to disable that. but be warned, the music they hear will be really loud.

stekerrod

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2006
Macclesfield/Salford England
cool, cheers for that......just letting anyone know it works with aMsn as well as skype etc, dnt think anyone has pointed that out so thought id let everyone know.....now theres a point for buyin it!

lcxtr

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
i have an ibook with 10.4.10, and ichat doesn't recognize the xbox live camera. Is there some driver or something like that i need to download?

granniegeek

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
cost of ichat

Is ichat free to use with AIM? When I first logged into ichat it talks about a free trial. If i do not sign up for mac.com and use AIM ...will it cost money. Any luck using ichat with other services. I just got the xbox camera and it works with my ibook G4 with 10.4.10. Thanks.

granniegeek

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
xbox Live with ibook

I did not have to download anything. It just came up when I plugged it in and opened ichat. I do not have any of the 3 types of accounts so have not actually used it to see anyone but myself...I did not have to restart my ibook, but maybe that would help. Did you get it going yet?

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
This will be great when the new PS Eye comes out later this year. The new PS Eye has a multi-directional voice tracking and (supposedly) a higher resolution camera (2MP?). I don't even mind the design.

Edit: Totally missed Mavimao's post. PS Eye still looks cool.

SHIVA

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
I Need Help Please

hi everybody,

i have problems with the connection of the xbox vision cam and my G4 powermac - 10.4.10.
the system profiler detects the xbox usb cam, but opening ichat or macam or skype or whatever it says: no camera found !
is it because of my new installed 10.4.10 or is it the usb on my mac or do i need any software to patch it?
what is wrong?
PLEASE !!!

SHIVA

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
ok! now i found some good help from the apple forum: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1112327&tstart=0

it says:
I have tested it on my MacBook Pro with it's USB 2.0 and it works. (10.4.10)
It does not work on my G4/1Ghz Dual with only USB 1.1 ports. (10.4.10)

so i just ordered a usb2 pci card to finaly connect my xbox live cam to my mac.
i would let you know in a few days if that was the problem and it got solved.

i hope so!

SHIVA

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
good news everybody ... just got my usb2 pci card (20 euro) ... after plug & play (i love macintosh for that) the xbox vision cam works perfectly with quicktime, skype, yahoo messenger, ichat and my favorite: mercury messenger.

i tried all kinds of messenger combinations, but my daughter uses MSN messenger on a windows pc and i will stick to mercury messenger!

finally after 2 years i am able to video chat with my daughter!

thank you all for your help and god bless steve jobs and bill gates! :D

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
Well, i have some bad news regarding this cam. Yes it does work with USB 2.0 and OS 10.4.9+ (mine is 10.4.10).
I have a USB 2.0 card with an NEC chipset, but each time i boot my mac, i have to unplug the cam, then re-plug it back in in order to get any program to see that it's there, even Apple System Profiler.
Any idea why it's doing this?

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Is there a way I can use it if I already have the built in camera in my iMac?

I'd like to use it with photo booth.....

mickeymouse

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2007
blackburn lancs, uk
xbox live cam

I plugged it in and it worked on intel mac mini, with leopard 10.5.1 it works on ichat, and latest skype, it does not work on msn for mac but does on amsn.

You will need a usb mic as it does not have one built in the cam.
I am using an old usb webcam (stripped and put into other case) the mac does not see the cam just the mic, so am using that, if I switch to windows on parallels it see the old webcam but, I tell it not to use it, just use the mic. windows also sees the xbox live cam but no driver for it, if you tell it to search for driver it will goto internet and micro$oft for driver file and, install it, (you can't get it yourself from M$) all works, on msn and skype both in windows and on mac, it also works in windows with bootcamp, it may not work with vista.
the xbox live cam comes with 1 months subs to xbox live, a headset, and cam.
xbox cam spec's.
VGA 640Hx480V video resolution at 30fps (frames per second) and still photos at 1.3 megapixels.

isight spec's:
VGA 640Hx480V Video resolution at 30fps (frames per second) built in mic.

so you can pay up to 150 uk pounds for isight or 24-50 uk pounds for a Xbox live cam, which would you go for?

Fuzzbear

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Illinois, USA
Is there something specific you have to do to get the Xbox Live camera working? I have a buddy with a new Macbook Pro, and he wanted to see if it would work... He said he couldnt get any picture from it in Leopard.

DistantThunder

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2008
Troubleshooting

I purchased one of these, and had trouble getting it working. I have OS 10.4.11, installed on an Intel Mac Pro.

Two things I discovered: First, the camera would NOT work on a USB hub. I had to plug it in to the front of the CPU tower. Second, I had to open iChat's preferences and click the Video tab, after which point the camera would be recognized. (However, this would not work if the camera was first connected to the wrong USB port. In that case, I had to connect it to the right USB port, totally restart iChat, and go into preferences again, at which point it would start working.)

On another note, the shareware program iGlasses greatly enhances the image quality. So also does dimming any bright light.

Applepi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Picked one of these up a few months ago, and am having no problems whatsoever on 10.5. Plugged it right in and was able to use it on iChat and Skype with exceptional visual quality. It's a great and very affordable alternative to the iSight.

born2win413

macrumors member
May 17, 2008
Would this work with my sister's iBook G4 with the latest update of Tiger?

Also, how would iChat work if the XBox Live Vision Cam doesn't have a microphone? I would like to be able to webcam talk to my sister and not having to type...

Thanks...

I really appreciate it.

moondog

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2007
I'm using a ppc G4 Powerbook, so the XBox camera won't work for me. I found this on eBay, which says it works with USB 1.1 and looks to be pretty good. Has anybody tried one, and if so how was it for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.