Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hulk3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
North Carolina
I cancelled my AppleTV order awaiting an answer to this question which couldn't be answered by the Apple tech rep a few weeks ago. Perhaps some one of you can answer it now that you've had some experience with the box.

Can I use a combination of HDMI cable and Component Audio cable to hook up an AppleTV?

I have no more Component Video jacks available on my TV, but there is an unused HDMI jack. I want the sound to go through my surround system for whatever enhanced sound I can get, albeit not 5.1. Therefore, I'm thinking of using the HDMI for video only (turning the volume control down low on the TV) and concurrently receiving sound by plugging into the unused VCR jack on the Receiver with Component Audio cable. Will this work?

KDR

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Yes. I am using HDMI, Optical and composite (red/white) simultaneously. HMDI to the tv, Optical to the family room receiver, and composite to a second amp that powers our outdoor speakers.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Yes. I am using HDMI, Optical and composite (red/white) simultaneously. HMDI to the tv, Optical to the family room receiver, and composite to a second amp that powers our outdoor speakers.

So I guess then, you could run two audio-outs from Apple TV to separate sources? That's what it sounds like, but I just want to confirm.

KDR

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
So I guess then, you could run two audio-outs from Apple TV to separate sources? That's what it sounds like, but I just want to confirm.

Yes. Based on my setup, technically 3 (tv and 2 different receivers). I suppose you could run 3 amps/receivers if you had one with hdmi.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Newest Receivers Include HDMI i/o Ports.

Yes. Based on my setup, technically 3 (tv and 2 different receivers). I suppose you could run 3 amps/receivers if you had one with hdmi.
Yes, the newest receivers have HDMI i/o ports that would channel the digital audio from the HDMI imput to the Dolby Digital decoder while passing through the video on to the HDTV. Very cool. Thanks for your field report KDR. Good to know all three work at once.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
I wish I could cite the source, but I read that all of the audio outs on the :apple:TV are live all the time -- you can connect to any of them, or any combination of them. You should have no problem using HDMI for the video signal only then porting either the two-channel analog audio (RCA) or the optical audio to another device.

natemonster

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2007
\Therefore, I'm thinking of using the HDMI for video only (turning the volume control down low on the TV) and concurrently receiving sound by plugging into the unused VCR jack on the Receiver with Component Audio cable. Will this work?
no such thing as component audio. only white and red, coaxial, or optical.

yah00z

macrumors regular
May 21, 2006
Yes

Everyone has been correct. I have HDMI video/audio feed to the TV as well as optical to my A/V receiver. I also have the analog audio l/r connected for my klipsche audio system that is in the other room and it works simultaneously with the hdmi and optical audio. Despite the lack of DVR abilities, etc, it's still a pretty sweet unit. It makes things easy, and it allows me to stream from all my other systems in the house over the network without problem.

Hulk3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2007
North Carolina
To natemaster and Avatar 72

Geez... What technical techies. You see, i'm just a regular person.
I meant the double cable with the two thingies on the end, one white and one red.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.