Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jmx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Hi!

Frontrow is installed on my Mac Pro, but i cant use it... apple+esc doesn't work.
Does anyone know how to enable it?

Thanks a lot

Richard Flynn

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Sydney
You have to hack some .plist files to trick the computer into thinking it has an IR receiver (which is prerequisite for Front Row running). Find the instructions here.

Although I’ve got a Logitech mouse, I couldn’t get the Logitech instructions in that article to work, so have plugged in my Mighty Mouse purely to enable Front Row.

Jmx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Thanks.. i've tried that tutorial and even when i plugged in my wireless mighty mouse nothing happens.
It seems stupid that the Pro didn't come with a remote since it really is a nice way to impress non mac users.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Did you fellow every step including deleting the cache? Also you need to reboot to get it too work. It works just fine for me. I also have a IR receiver and a apple remote to boot. :D

Jmx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Did you fellow every step including deleting the cache? Also you need to reboot to get it too work. It works just fine for me. I also have a IR receiver and a apple remote to boot. :D

Yep... i tried it with a MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 and the wireless Mightymouse and followed each step.. nothing happens :confused:

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Double check you followed all the steps to the letter. Go through it again making sure you didn't misspell anything.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Can someone educate me here -- why would I want this thing when I can already control my Mac Pro form the comfort of my chaise with a wireless keyboard and mouse :confused:

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Can someone educate me here -- why would I want this thing when I can already control my Mac Pro form the comfort of my chaise with a wireless keyboard and mouse :confused:

because some of us like sitting back on our bed and watching dvds without a mouse and keyboard on our lap.

Also check to make sure you haven't changed the key combo. So check in system preferences in the shortcut section

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
You have to hack some .plist files to trick the computer into thinking it has an IR receiver (which is prerequisite for Front Row running). Find the instructions here.

Although I’ve got a Logitech mouse, I couldn’t get the Logitech instructions in that article to work, so have plugged in my Mighty Mouse purely to enable Front Row.

I too have a LT mouse and couldn't get it to work (went through all the steps three times just to make sure I did not miss anything, but no go).

I came across this little program which is supposed to do the trick:

http://andrewescobar.com/frontrow

Has anyone tried it? I'm afraid it's something that can bring my whole system down! I'm not that desperate to use FR, just want to try it out.

Any volunteers? :)

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I too have a LT mouse and couldn't get it to work (went through all the steps three times just to make sure I did not miss anything, but no go).

I came across this little program which is supposed to do the trick:

http://andrewescobar.com/frontrow

Has anyone tried it? I'm afraid it's something that can bring my whole system down! I'm not that desperate to use FR, just want to try it out.

Any volunteers? :)
Thats for powerPC only!! Don't use it! However...i risked it and used its install portion to update to the latest version of frontrow..that worked fine. BUt the enabler part probably won't work.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Thats for powerPC only!! Don't use it! However...i risked it and used its install portion to update to the latest version of frontrow..that worked fine. BUt the enabler part probably won't work.

Yeah, I was about to post an update after I came across a few mentions of the fact that it is meant for PPC macs only. The guy should really make that clear on his page. Instead he says that it works on any mac!

Dark Dragoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2006
UK
When you edit the plist file, as well as adding to M19-0a, M19-0b and M19-1. Also do the same to M6 and M6-events.

Jmx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
I have followed that tutorial exactly.. still no luck :(
I really want to get this going, and still think it's crap that Apple don't deliver the Pro with a remote for FR... after all it's pretty good for impressing people.

kered22

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Torrance, CA
What driver software are you using for your mouse? I wasn't using any of the listed ones on the macosxhints.com page, I was using USB Overdrive. So on a gamble, I applied the changes to the USB Overdrive extension and that made FrontRow enable.

Vidd

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2006
Besides an obligation to install IR receivers in the Mac Pros, why would Apple not have this enabled to begin with?

JayRx1981

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2006
I had the same problem with the change not working at first. It turns out, the only way I could get it to work on my Mac Pro was to make sure I had a WIRED USB mouse plugged in. Having a wireless mouse plugged in didn't work. As soon as I did that, my RF frontrow remote started working perfectly.

AaronICT

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
The popular hack going around, involving editing .plist files, only works on PowerPC macs, not on Intels. As far as I know, there is no way to get Front Row working on a $2,500 Intel Mac Pro even though it is more than capable of running it.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
The popular hack going around, involving editing .plist files, only works on PowerPC macs, not on Intels. As far as I know, there is no way to get Front Row working on a $2,500 Intel Mac Pro even though it is more than capable of running it.

I am sorry to say if you take a look around people run it.. I am running it on my mac pro. I link was posted in this thread about how to do it. It was removed by mods. Hope that clears things up just google it.:D

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Having a wireless mouse plugged in didn't work.
How do you plug in a wireless mouse? :D ;) I know what you meant I'm just kidding.

And yes, the plist hack works great on the Mac Pro, I've got Front Row running fine. I have a Logitech mouse with SteerMouse and used the hack on the SteerMouse driver.

macosxhints.com - 10.4: Enable Front Row on the Mac Pro (no idea why mods would disagree with any of this discussion, it's NOT ILLEGAL as Front Row comes preinstalled on the Mac Pro and it's free from Apple anyway)

AaronICT

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
I am sorry to say if you take a look around people run it.. I am running it on my mac pro. I link was posted in this thread about how to do it. It was removed by mods. Hope that clears things up just google it.:D

I have Googled, many times and for many months. If anyone has the removed link, can you send it to me in a PM? My Mac Pro lives in our living room with a TV attached and we'd like to use Front Row on it.

AaronICT

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2007
I tried the method above once again, but had never tried to correct permissions. So I finally did, and it worked. Until I rebooted, and now no matter what I try, I can't get it to work again.

Any ideas? Or should I just never ever reboot if I get it working again?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I tried the method above once again, but had never tried to correct permissions. So I finally did, and it worked. Until I rebooted, and now no matter what I try, I can't get it to work again.

Any ideas? Or should I just never ever reboot if I get it working again?

Make certain you delete the cache files.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.