Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
QuickUML for just UML modeling, but I prefer MacA&D because it supports a lot of other methods and they can be mixed.
I also like starting the data dictionary with QuickCRC.
If you want to reverse engineer, you can use MacTranslator.

http://www.excelsoftware.com/

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
But UML should be done with a real modeling tool, not some drawing program.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
A UML modeling tool knows the semantics of the diagram, so you have dialogs for the attributes and operations, knows about inheritance, etc.
It can use this knowledge to generate code relatively easily.
Some tools also allow you to export to XMI for example, so that you might import them in another vendor's tool should you decide to change for some reason (and don't think that's a remote possibility, all CASE tools have their pros and cons). Some might not have XMI but their own XML format so it would be always possible to convert by yourself,maybe using XSLT.

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
A UML modeling tool knows the semantics of the diagram, so you have dialogs for the attributes and operations, knows about inheritance, etc.
It can use this knowledge to generate code relatively easily.
Some tools also allow you to export to XMI for example, so that you might import them in another vendor's tool should you decide to change for some reason (and don't think that's a remote possibility, all CASE tools have their pros and cons). Some might not have XMI but their own XML format so it would be always possible to convert by yourself,maybe using XSLT.

Got it. Thanks a lot. (Gotta love MR experts):D

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
This Visual Paradigm looks pretty impressive if you can restrict yourself to UML, at least from their spec sheet:

http://www.visual-paradigm.com/product/vpuml/editioncomparison.jsp

It's also quite cheap if you only want a few licenses (ExcelSoftware is extremely cheap for site licenses, but seeing that this Visual Paradigm has XMI, Rose import, etc...).

Er, Windows???? I can't speak for the OP, but I'd be more interested in something friendly with Mac rather than working in Boot Camp.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Er, Windows???? I can't speak for the OP, but I'd be more interested in something friendly with Mac rather than working in Boot Camp.

Didn't see that. I assumed that as someone mentioned it here, there was a Mac version.

So I guess, that for someone wanting Objective-C generation on the Mac, the only answer is ExcelSoftware, unless you are prepared to hack that yourself with some of the open modeling toolkits.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
In "the list", they seem to be modeling, not drawing, tools in general. I was only referring to OmniGraffle.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Looking for something free, I would try to go for Eclipse and the EMF.

Here are the things that you could use to set up a toolchain that would allow you to hack your own Objective-C generation (just pick the some free modeler for Mac, I guess Papyrus):

http://www.acceleo.org/pages/additionnal-products/en

Then you write an Objective-C generation module for Acceleo.

demallien

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2005
Visual Paradigm is absolutely horrible to use - at least the version from about a year ago was, we use it at my work :-( (well, when I say 'we', I mean the company that I work for - personally I've decided that modelling should only be done when you're having problems putting together a system conceptually yourself....)

On the other hand, I found that Poseidon is a good program. It's been developed from ArgoUML, but is way more polished. They offer a free version which is crippled in a couple of minor ways (like round-trip engineering only works for Java in the trial version). But that would be my recommendation, Poseidon.

macsig

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
Marina del Rey, CA
Visual Paradigm is absolutely horrible to use - at least the version from about a year ago was, we use it at my work :-( (well, when I say 'we', I mean the company that I work for - personally I've decided that modelling should only be done when you're having problems putting together a system conceptually yourself....)

On the other hand, I found that Poseidon is a good program. It's been developed from ArgoUML, but is way more polished. They offer a free version which is crippled in a couple of minor ways (like round-trip engineering only works for Java in the trial version). But that would be my recommendation, Poseidon.

Poseidon is sucks

Great Dave

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
You might try out Java Studio Enterprise 8.1 or Netbeans 6. Netbeans 6 has pretty much superseded JSE anyway.

Code generation, Reverse engineering, and UML 2.0 compliance are a few great features.

I think the code generation and reverse engineering features are only available for Java right now, but I think they are planning on adding support for other languages, too - C++, scripting, etc. I don't know if that is planned for before the release of NB 6 or after.

It's free, too!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.