Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
With the World Wide Developers conference quickly approaching, we've opened an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) Channel to provide live-chat/discussion on the rumors surrounding WWDC.

For the past few major Apple events, we've opened channels to accomodate the additional traffic and discussion, with our last event in April, drawing a record crowd.

This time, however, the channel will remain open... beyond WWDC, and should provide ongoing discussions year-round.

For those with their own IRC Clients, the MacRumors channel is on irc.krono.net on channel #macrumors.

For readers who are new to IRC, we offer a customized OpenMac client named MRChat. MRChat provides readers with a simple Mac OS X IRC client which will automatically connect to the proper server and channel. which can be downloaded here:

MRChat v1.0.2

For more information on IRC: The IRC Prelude

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Cool. I have never used and IRC, but I guess this will give me a reason. I am downloading now. :)

I can see myself spending a lot of time there.......

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Hm... I never used that client before... intresting... ;)

I'm there now, who has ops, or admin powers?

Same as on the forums?

I see AFK's and no one is kicking...?

edit: All dead links?

I guess arn didn't have the time yet, oh well.

Thanks for the IRC channel. :)

A@ron

macrumors member
May 2, 2002
Iowa
I got in with my iBook, but then the fiance kicked me off of it for solitare! Now on my powermac it will not work... I get the enjoy your stay message but thats it... oh well :)

A@ron

::nevermind it just took forever::

jamilecrire

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2002
It is so funny to me that getting files on a Mac is not so different from any other Unix.

Very cool. I cannot believe how things are changing with OS X and Linux making such inroads into not only corporate systems but consumer as well.

Most may not realize it but the whole processor world is up for grabs. Intel is pushing Itanium, AMD is pushing Opteron, Apple (hopefully) is pushing 970s, IBM will be pushing 970s, Sun is still overcharging for Ultra's (anyone bitching about apple prices needs to go buy a Blade 2000, then talk to me about over priced).

Apple has the opportunity to be the leader like they haven't had since the 8088 started kicking the 6502. Focus on more than the consumer/media markets please. If apple would do one thing it would be to chip in on some of these big games development companies to release the games on Mac first and delay the Windows versions. Every kid I've known doesn't buy a PC for all the work they can do for school, they buy them for the games. When you get them at a young age they prefer to stick with what they know.

Get the games, get the kids, own the future. Apple can succeed, they just need the vision.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
I'd like to say sorry to arn, sorry about that...

If anyone doesn't know, I'm banned, sorry people, have fun. :(

I didn't mean any harm, totally my fault though.

MrMacMan.

trebblekicked

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2002
Chicago, IL, USA
well done, arn

thanks for doing this. everything's working great now (from what i can see). i downloaded the new client, and it's rather nice.

i guess my productivity will be even lower now. good timing, though, with 970's around the corner, that'll just about balance out:)...

RandomMacGuy

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2002
If you're like me, and you think all OS X GUI IRC clients to date suck hard, try this:

download/install screen
download/install irssi
run screen
run irssi
press ctrl-A + D
type `screen -R`

see? fun. now you can idle on IRC 24/7

- RMG

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by MrMacman
I'd like to say sorry to arn, sorry about that...

If anyone doesn't know, I'm banned, sorry people, have fun. :(

I didn't mean any harm, totally my fault though.

MrMacMan.

You were banned temporarily. I lifted it since then.

The rules are posted now for everyone to see as they enter.

timb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
*sigh* This means I have to sit on ANOTHER network, I'm already on Undernet, efnet, 757, Newnet and Freenode, should have just picked Freenode, it has tons of Mac chans on it. Ehhh anyway, bout time!

-Tim

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
I've been enjoying the IRC all day, in and out. Can't believe I haven't been doing this before now, but oh well.

The instant feedback is nice, like on a MacWorld day or something... and it's just a random Tuesday with 13 or so days to go (not that I'm counting... :)).

Hes Nikke

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2001
Originally posted by RandomMacGuy
If you're like me, and you think all OS X GUI IRC clients to date suck hard, try this:<snip>
- RMG

it's not desinged for you. it's not even desigined to be IRC! it's a chat program that happens to use a subset of the IRC protocal, making it easy for newbies to get into the chat!

Originally posted by whfsdude
Feature Request: It needs spell check (like iChat) for my dyslexic ass :D

here is the code for arn:

add the following to ChatWindowController.m in - (void)applicationWillTerminate:
Code:
[[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults] setBool:
    [chatInputField isContinuousSpellCheckingEnabled] forKey:@"SpellCheckInputLine"];

add the following to ChatWindowController.m in - (void)awakeFromNib
Code:
[chatInputField setContinuousSpellCheckingEnabled:[[NSUserDefaults standardUserDefaults]
    boolForKey:@"SpellCheckInputLine"]]; // set the proper spell checking state

now add the floowing to the defaultKeys NSArray in Prefcontroler.m
Code:
@"SpellCheckInputLine", // spell check

and lastly add this to the defaultValues NSArray in at the same location as aboce PrefsController.m
Code:
[NSNumber numberWithBool:YES],			// SpellCheckInputLine

i don't know what took me so long to add that to the source tree.. as it is, it's only in the bleeding edge, cvs code of ThinkSecret Chat (wich will eventualy get merged into OpenMac for arn or anyone else to do as they see fit ;))

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
Changes in MRChat v1.0.1, released 2003/10/15 :
  • Base code updated to OpenMac 2.0.2
  • Bug fixed : MRChat now displays part messages when no reason is given
  • Feature : When the channel is moderated (ie when a transcript of an event is taking place) MRChat now ignores all non-essential messages (join/part/nick/mode/kick)
  • Several error messages cleaned up and clarified

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au
A brilliant IRC client is Colloquy. The latest beta's are really well designed, fast and stable. Thanks to kenshin on the #camino channel (irc.mozilla.org) for putting me on to this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.