Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
My friend just recently switched over and bought a 2.0 GHz Macbook with a combo drive. It won't play any DVDs, and I was wondering what the problem could be.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
Yeah, the laptop can read CDs and such. After sticking a DVD in there though, nothing even pops up on the desktop. The DVD spins in the drive, but nothing happens.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
DVD Player launched by itself after the DVD was inserted, and it said the disc wasn't supported. It's a store-bought Finding Nemo DVD.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
Just repaired permissions, it didn't fix it. It wouldn't be the region since American DVD. All recent updates are installed, computer is brand new. Don't know what the problem could be.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
Ok, it works now. He disregarded the set region message on the disc and pressed cancel. Got it show back up.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
lol, I assumed he would've been apt enough to see how important an alert to set the region to your disc drive would've been.

naturallight

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2007
Wait, can someone help a n00b out? My MBP dvd player won't play any dvd's, but it plays cd's just fine.

When I insert a dvd, the dvd program comes up, and when I hit "play", I get an error of "Supported disc not available".

Needless to say, these dvd's work fine on my standalone dvd player and pc laptop.

Can someone walk me through repairing permissions/setting the region?

Thanks!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
To repair disk permissions, go to: Utilities (found in Applications) --> Disk Utility

Click your hard drive partition and click "Repair Disk Permissions"

repair.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.