Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
I'm studying java this weekend on an old powermac G4 and thus the only java IDE I could get was bluej as its small and user friendly-except for one thing. I can't run my simple apps from directly withing the IDE and thus I can't view the println()'s that I've made. Is there any way for me to see the println's, they dont show up in terminal, or is there another java IDE that I can use that will run my apps and give me my println()'s?

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
[URL="http://macromates.com/]TextMate[/URL]

Everything you need. It's not an IDE, but it's perfect for programming in java, especially little projects.

Except the whole 'visualisation' of the connected methods and the like.

antibact1

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
Despite it's size, Eclipse is great I used to run it on a G4, and although it has a slow initial load time, once it's running it's fantastic.

subl1me

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2005
Step 1: Open up Terminal.
Step 2: Navigate to the folder where your code is located (using 'cd').
Step 3: Type 'javac filename.java'.
Step 4: Type 'java filename'.

*oops...I didn't read the original post thoroughly. I see you're having a problem of them NOT showing up in Terminal.....

nevermind.

lazydog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2005
Cramlington, UK
Is there any way for me to see the println's, they dont show up in terminal, or is there another java IDE that I can use that will run my apps and give me my println()'s?

How are you doing your println()'s? System.out.println() should work fine in the terminal.

b e n

stadidas

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Kent, United Kingdom
I take it by terminal you mean you're using the BlueJ terminal (View > Show Terminal). If you're using System.out.println() then I don't see why it's not coming out. If anything you'd be better off running things from the command line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.