Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

superman666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Hey,
I just looked up possible ways to get steam on OSX. The reason being that I don't think I can find a valid windows cd for bootcamp. It sucks because I have 3 windows computers but I can't 'put the windows' from one computer onto this...

Anyways there is this thing called CrossOver ( http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ ). Does this work well with source games?

Thanks

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Hey,
I just looked up possible ways to get steam on OSX. The reason being that I don't think I can find a valid windows cd for bootcamp. It sucks because I have 3 windows computers but I can't 'put the windows' from one computer onto this...

Anyways there is this thing called CrossOver ( http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/ ). Does this work well with source games?

Thanks

You might get HL or CS1.6 running, but don't even try anything on the source engine.

superman666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Well poop,
I really want to play some Halflife/CSS/RedOrchestra....

Is there any other way?

phanboyjohn

macrumors member
May 18, 2007
If you're a pretty hardcore gamer, it's not a bad idea to invest in a copy of XP/Vista (I know Vista sucks, but I'm just talking about the future, here). It'll be anywhere from $130-$200 depending if you go OEM versus retail, etc., but you can just have that be your "Windows CD for your Mac" for games. Think of it like a long-term investment--at least until we get some Mac exclusive games.

Sorry, bad joke.

freeedge369

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2007
Crissiver ftw

I have a 2.33 ghz MBP, and I run CSS, Half Life 2, and all the games in my steam account through crossover. It works fine.

superman666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I have a 2.33 ghz MBP, and I run CSS, Half Life 2, and all the games in my steam account through crossover. It works fine.

Really? Can more people chip in and tell me if it works as well? Otherwise i'll just try it myself..

superman666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
BTW just to tell you guys i tried CS:S on crossover and it worked excellent. Of course i excpected it wouldn't play as well as it should (with my 2.4GHz/2GB Ram/All that good stuff), but I made it widescreen, top resolution, and set the textures to medium and it stays at like 30-60 FPS. I am very impressed. I'm going to try and see if Red Orchestra works. If it does i'll probably end up buying crossover.

boobooq88

macrumors regular
May 12, 2007
CS 1.6 runs decently for me under crossover... I'd say somewhere in the 30 - 60 fps range. Sorry... cant say for source. I dont like it much so i dont own it (have played it at friends houses)

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
been running steam on crossover office for a couple years, first on linux now on mac os. Running on a core duo 1.66 mac mini i run half life 2 perfictly without any problems dx 8.1 path witch is a limit of lack of hardware T&L not software.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
It appears that Source runs pretty well under Crossover, see here.

A "bronze" rating is pretty bad

BTW just to tell you guys i tried CS:S on crossover and it worked excellent. Of course i excpected it wouldn't play as well as it should (with my 2.4GHz/2GB Ram/All that good stuff), but I made it widescreen, top resolution, and set the textures to medium and it stays at like 30-60 FPS. I am very impressed. I'm going to try and see if Red Orchestra works. If it does i'll probably end up buying crossover.

been running steam on crossover office for a couple years, first on linux now on mac os. Running on a core duo 1.66 mac mini i run half life 2 perfictly without any problems dx 8.1 path witch is a limit of lack of hardware T&L not software.

I am intrigued, however, at these responses. I will give this a shot when I get home. I can really only play cs:s with a 60+ framerate, so I'll prolly be dissapointed.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
I tried this out with the newest version of crossover. Steam worked fine, and CS:S started up with no problem. I might even argue it was a little snappier starting up then it is in bootcamp, but as soon as it got in the game, it locked up and I had to restart.

I'll try it again today. Did anyone else share this problem?

Aea

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I tried this out with the newest version of crossover. Steam worked fine, and CS:S started up with no problem. I might even argue it was a little snappier starting up then it is in bootcamp, but as soon as it got in the game, it locked up and I had to restart.

I'll try it again today. Did anyone else share this problem?

I couldn't even get the game to download before Steam crashed, and logging into Steam took about 5 minutes, another 5 minutes before I could start my download because it constantly froze up.

It's hit-or-miss for various people it seems.

musichorses

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2007
Possible solution...

Been working both OS's for over 10 yrs now, & here is what I have had to do for customers with win os's...
you have legally owned Win OS's now running on pc's ... so what you do, is you call microsoft, have the original disk in your hand... from one of the pc's, and tell them that you are installing to your laptop, notebook, so u can bring work back and forth... or i've most times, told them my customer's hard drive died, and they understand and give you another code... and thats it...

the second option, (if u just can't do the first one)... is to email me, if the administrators of this forum allow you too... pls go thru them...

Here is this, not to far past... I worked an 8 month job, converting, upgrading, and installing a mac network for a family & their family owned business in Brentwood... I was given a budget for purchasing computers, At the Apple store I spent $30,000.00, and macintosh was very generous with the windows software i'd asked for with each titanium, g5, i ordered... mind u i spent 6000.00 on each machine... You get 2 installations per XP, in otherwords, the keycode works 2 times for registering, and keeping your copy legal, while online, etc... (but it works more then 2 times, if u tell them the above, it really works...)!

But just in case:
I have extra working versions ... windows xp - for macintosh... you can have one of them... :) never having the opportunity to give these to the deserved... until now... again... what i have are factory legal never opened... win xp for mac.... you can either install it on an intel mac, or like i have my-NON INTEL-ibook... LOL.... and i only use mine for the advanced office features they give to windows PC's. Office for mac is sadly limited, it unfair... :apple:

let me know...
musichorses ;)

TheSilencer

macrumors regular
May 27, 2007
Shouldn´t work Wine (not DarWine) as well? It seems that Steam/CSS or other games work very good - guessing from what I seen on youtube - with Linux and Wine and you could install Wine with MacPorts for X11 too, I believe, or not? Has someone done this?

torchwood04

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Darwine 0.9.43 can be found here: http://thisismyinter.net/?p=21 (the old, official Darwine versions were old, and not current). This is pretty much WINE on OSX, though I think OpenGL does not work, but it may be Apple's X11 implementation's fault..

dubs

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
Been working both OS's for over 10 yrs now, & here is what I have had to do for customers with win os's...
you have legally owned Win OS's now running on pc's ... so what you do, is you call microsoft, have the original disk in your hand... from one of the pc's, and tell them that you are installing to your laptop, notebook, so u can bring work back and forth... or i've most times, told them my customer's hard drive died, and they understand and give you another code... and thats it...

the second option, (if u just can't do the first one)... is to email me, if the administrators of this forum allow you too... pls go thru them...

Here is this, not to far past... I worked an 8 month job, converting, upgrading, and installing a mac network for a family & their family owned business in Brentwood... I was given a budget for purchasing computers, At the Apple store I spent $30,000.00, and macintosh was very generous with the windows software i'd asked for with each titanium, g5, i ordered... mind u i spent 6000.00 on each machine... You get 2 installations per XP, in otherwords, the keycode works 2 times for registering, and keeping your copy legal, while online, etc... (but it works more then 2 times, if u tell them the above, it really works...)!

But just in case:
I have extra working versions ... windows xp - for macintosh... you can have one of them... :) never having the opportunity to give these to the deserved... until now... again... what i have are factory legal never opened... win xp for mac.... you can either install it on an intel mac, or like i have my-NON INTEL-ibook... LOL.... and i only use mine for the advanced office features they give to windows PC's. Office for mac is sadly limited, it unfair... :apple:

let me know...
musichorses ;)

Would you be willing to donate to an extremely poor college student? :eek:

dubs

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2007
I have just downloaded crossover, and have been playing TFC in multiplayer via steam, at full res, and high color on my 2.4 mbp, runs well, constant 70 fps. However this is a really old game. Anyone know how to turn off v-sync? There is no in-game option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.