Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vickalamode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Medway, MA
OK, so I am completely new to mac. The last time I used a mac computer was when my family had one around 1994/1995. So, I don't know how to do completely basic things like this.

I got my macbook on Saturday, less than a week ago. Last night I bought the Sims 2 at the apple store and I asked the guy if it would run good on it. He went through all of the requirements and said that my computer surpassed all of them.

So I go to run it and it won't run and says I need to free up local disk space. Basically I'm wicked pissed right now and am worrying that something is wrong with my computer or he was lying and I can't return it. Someone help? How do I free this up? Is it a big deal that I need to do this after having the computer for less than 5 days? This is the only big program I've installed so far. I've only installed basic stuff like office and my printer so I don't know how it could be out of space already.

vickalamode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Medway, MA
Thats plenty of disk space for the sims

Yeah, I know. It says I need 3GB. But when I try to run it, I get a message that says "The Sims 2 requires at least 1MB of free disk space, free up some space on your local disk and restart the Sims 2", I honestly don't really know how to do that and to be completely honest I don't even know how different it is from the hard drive or anything.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Sounds like a bug with the installer, as iBookG4user suggested i would try a restart before attempting anything else.

vickalamode

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Medway, MA
It's working perfectly now! Thank you so much for your help everyone:) I'll probably be back here all the time with questions haha

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Glad it is sorted and feel free to ask questions as often as you need, and feel free to chime in with possible solutions. Welcome to the forums.

Masque33

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2007
Free up Local Disk Space on MacBook-2

I am having the same problem and unfortunately, i cannot figure it out. i just bought Civilization IV today and when i try to install, it says "Civ IV needs at least 1 MB of free disk space". I deleted stuff and i have 48.02 GB space on my MacBook. I am getting extremely flustered. I restarted my computer and everything. What should I do?

superrrmodel

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2008
help

hi! im having exactly the same problem. i jsut bought sims2 yesterday.. and my macbook is only 3weeks old, it doesnt have much files in it. it also says the same thing "sims needs at least 1 MB of free disk space" somethin like that... and im so pissed off cos i wasted my money! help me pls!!!!

jscantechiekid

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2008
hopefully answer to sims 2 problem

ok, so i was sort of angry when i read this and it helped none. I had the same problem, but this is what I did: You know the window that pops up when you enter in the disk and click on it, drag and drop the folder that says sims 2 into the folder on the desktop that says Macintosh HD, or the one that looks like a hard drive. Once you do this a little window should open up that says copying to hard drive. Then ex out of the pop-up window and click on the icon on the desktop that says macintosh HD there should be many folders in there one of which is titled sims 2 open that folder and click on the icon that says sims 2. That should work, and if it doesn't I'm really sorry. It is very crucial to ex-out of the pop-up window. This may not make sense. If something is unclear, just tell me and i will try to make it clearer.http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

P.S. make sure the disk is in the drive while you are doing all this. You need the disk to run the game.

need-hellp

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
Hellp!!!!

pleazzzz hellp....

i have the sims2 and whenever i try to play it it says i need to free up some space on the local disk space...ive restarted the computer ive reinstalled the sims i even tryed taking the battery out but that just resulted in me having to reinstall everything else too and it still wants me to free up space what do i do???????its so frustraiting

jakeskate872

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2008
Problems with Civilization IV install

I am having the same problems with Civ IV i cannot get it to install. It either says that i do not have enough disk space or that it failed loading XML file assets//XML\Gameinfo\CIV4PlayerOptioninfos.xml
Im getting very frustrated if someone could please help me that would be great thanks.

niicholeee

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2008
omg! help!

Ok, so today i bought the sims2.
i have a macbook osx
and its not letting me load it. it says blah blah the sims 2 requires at least 1 mb of free disc space.
i have pleanty of hard drive left like 58 or something. and its still not working.
ive tried all suggested above and no help at all!!
help pleasseee!!

ill love you forever if you help me !! [:

-Nichole

Jamsey123

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2008
Please help

I really really need some help with my game, i have an apple eMac and the other day I bought age of empires 2 gold edition, it will sometimes install but other times it doesn't!!!:mad:. When it does I will load it up and the people and buildings will be invisible:confused::confused:!!

Please can you help me!!!!

Thanks!:)

Tumi

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2008
Package installer problem after installing the sims2 Help please

I installed the sims2 on my macbook but the package installer cannot be installed, it says my computer does not meet the recommended processor speed requirement and after i click ok it says package installer requires at least 1mb of free disk of space and says please free up your local disk and then re-launch package installer...

i can play the sims2 but my problem is any costume content that i try to download won't work.

info about my mac : 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB memory,160GB hard drive

I tried to delete some unwanted folders but with no success and I will appreciate if any one can try to help me fix this or figure it out why its not working because i love to download stuff for the sims game:

confused:

MikkiZ

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008
It worked!

ok, so i was sort of angry when i read this and it helped none. I had the same problem, but this is what I did: You know the window that pops up when you enter in the disk and click on it, drag and drop the folder that says sims 2 into the folder on the desktop that says Macintosh HD, or the one that looks like a hard drive. Once you do this a little window should open up that says copying to hard drive. Then ex out of the pop-up window and click on the icon on the desktop that says macintosh HD there should be many folders in there one of which is titled sims 2 open that folder and click on the icon that says sims 2. That should work, and if it doesn't I'm really sorry. It is very crucial to ex-out of the pop-up window. This may not make sense. If something is unclear, just tell me and i will try to make it clearer.http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif

P.S. make sure the disk is in the drive while you are doing all this. You need the disk to run the game.

Thank you, this worked perfectly!!!!!!

electricgrace

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2008
me too

i just got it today, and it kept saying i needed space but i know i have a lot of space because i recently got rid of lots of old files. i hope re-installing helps. it sounds like it will. thanks for the suggestion!

grace:):apple:

Balplayer8

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2008
Simplified Version of what they Said

1: Make sure that the folder that says *Game Name* is in the hard drive

2: Open that folder from the hard drive

3: LAUCH THE GAME FROM HERE

The End

billfbrennan1

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
uninstall?

sorry but i just dont see the option.. could be right in front of me, just not used to macs i guess. how do i simply uninstall the game. im haveing trouble with civilization 4 and i just dont see an option for just uninstall. please if anyone can help me out that would be great. thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.