Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtpaladin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Guys, I'm begging you, please tell me where I can get a copy of the old Mac Risk game that was a blast to play.

Sadly, I'm stuck with a PC and wonder if this game can be reformated to work on a PC. Otherwise, I will buy an old Mac just so I can play this game.

Please help me!!

Best Regards,
John

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Can you be more specific, jtpaladin? Some light Googling turned up Risk games from '89, '92 and beyond -- how "old" is the "old" version, and what OS did it run under?

Here's a Riskesque web game that may interest you, too ...

jtpaladin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Guys, thanks for getting back to me.

The Risk game I'm thinking of was made in the late 1980's and worked on the old Mac. It was a black and white game and one option in the game would have your opponents constantly try and take back any territory that it started with. The AI was very agressive in that mode. Hard to beat the AI in that mode.

It was a very quick moving game.

I checked out those links but either I missed it or just could not find it. Any further help would be great. Thank you.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Guys, thanks for getting back to me.

The Risk game I'm thinking of was made in the late 1980's and worked on the old Mac. It was a black and white game and one option in the game would have your opponents constantly try and take back any territory that it started with. The AI was very agressive in that mode. Hard to beat the AI in that mode.

It was a very quick moving game.

I checked out those links but either I missed it or just could not find it. Any further help would be great. Thank you.

i know EXACTLY which one you are talking about. I played it all the time.

jtpaladin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
i know EXACTLY which one you are talking about. I played it all the time.

Excellent. Do you have any info on how to find a copy of that? Also, do you know if there's a PC version of it available? Any additional thoughts would be great. Thank you.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
iConquer

I remember the old Risk for mac. That was awesome. I lost
many hours playing that instead of studying, that's for sure.

If you've got a modern osx mac and like risk, I would HIGHLY recommend
iConquer: http://www.kavasoft.com/iConquer/index.php

The AI is excellent and it plays just like the old mac risk. There's a ton
of options and features too, including LAN play, different maps, etc.
Check it out, there's a free trial and it's only $20 if you like it!

Mandoman

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
In looking around, I'm not finding much in the way of information or screenshots!

Take a look at slides 9 and 10 in the slideshow on this page -- anything familiar?

Might be worth trying to contact the author of the slideshow, in any case.

jtpaladin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Thanks for the info guys.

Anyone know someone selling an old mac? I just a simple enough machine to run this Risk game.

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Thanks for the info guys.

Anyone know someone selling an old mac? I just a simple enough machine to run this Risk game.

Again, try the vMac/minivMac emulator, if you can get ahold of an appropriate (legit) ROM from an old Mac to run it. Think this classic Mac emu is available for PC. Probably easier than buying a Mac Plus!

jtpaladin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
Again, try the vMac/minivMac emulator, if you can get ahold of an appropriate (legit) ROM from an old Mac to run it. Think this classic Mac emu is available for PC. Probably easier than buying a Mac Plus!

Sadly to say I'm only fluent in PC dialogue so I have no idea of what you are saying. :(

Can you break it down for retards like me? :p

aidanpendragon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Sadly to say I'm only fluent in PC dialogue so I have no idea of what you are saying. :(

Can you break it down for retards like me? :p

You're probably familiar with the concept of an emulator - a piece of software that mimics a different set of hardware (game consoles, computers, etc.) There's one for old, old Mac Plus-style Macs called vMac - now Mini vMac.

Try here http://minivmac.sourceforge.net/. This runs on both OS X and PC; there is a Windows version available from this (the developer's site).

Note that it requires a ROM from a Mac Plus to work. The dev's site does a clearer job explaining what that is that I can here. You technically (and legally) need to own a Mac Plus to pull a ROM from; don't ask here where to find one.

Once that's set up, you can load software as disk image files. Apple still has Systems 6 and 7 as free downloads. Grab that for the OS, then create a separate image for games, and you should be set.

jtpaladin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2007
You're probably familiar with the concept of an emulator - a piece of software that mimics a different set of hardware (game consoles, computers, etc.) There's one for old, old Mac Plus-style Macs called vMac - now Mini vMac.

Try here http://minivmac.sourceforge.net/. This runs on both OS X and PC; there is a Windows version available from this (the developer's site).

Note that it requires a ROM from a Mac Plus to work. The dev's site does a clearer job explaining what that is that I can here. You technically (and legally) need to own a Mac Plus to pull a ROM from; don't ask here where to find one.

Once that's set up, you can load software as disk image files. Apple still has Systems 6 and 7 as free downloads. Grab that for the OS, then create a separate image for games, and you should be set.

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll definitely check it out.

wait3264

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2007
PA
Risk

I have a copy of Risk for the MAC. It is on one floppy disk. My Dad bought it for his Quadra 840AV. It is by Virgin Games. I also have the manual that came with it. Kay
PS There are instructions for making a copy in the manual although it calls for a double sided double density formatted disk.

Richard Loxley

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
I think this is what you're looking for

I was also looking for this old Mac game today, and stumbled across this thread.

I managed to get it copied off an old Mac disk, and I've got it working on the Mini vMac emulator.

I've put up a web page about the game, and a download of the emulator and disk image containing System 6 and the Risk game at: http://www.richardloxley.com/fun/risk/

Let me know if this is what you were looking for!

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
^^^ Aha! That's the one I played! ^^^^
Hmmm... I'm going to have to run this in Parallels... Heh, a new Mac emulating a PC emulating an old Mac.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I use to play that version (latest posted) all the time back in Middle School. Ah, the memories. Time to fire it up again!

Edit: Wait, is there any way to play this version on OS X with a PPC?

Richard Loxley

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
Yes, if you go to http://minivmac.sourceforge.net/download.html you'll find emulators for most platforms, including OS X on Power PC, OS X on Intel, and OS 9.

You can install one of them, and then put the Mac Plus ROM ("vMac.ROM") and the disk image ("riskboot.dsk") from my zip file into the vMac directory. Run vMac, and open "riskboot.dsk".

Hopefully all that should work.

Should you actually have a Mac old enough to play the game natively, there is a download of just the program at the French site linked to from my page - although I couldn't get it to work - or I might be able to extract it from my emulated environment if you need it.

I'm not sure how old a system you'd need to run it natively. I'm pretty sure it works on 68030 under System 7, it might run on a Power PC under OS 9 using the Classic environment. Not sure about 68040 "Quadra"s.

Richard Loxley

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
I'm pretty sure it works on 68030 under System 7, it might run on a Power PC under OS 9 using the Classic environment. Not sure about 68040 "Quadra"s.

Actually, the Classic environment is for running pre-OS X applications under OS X isn't it? Anyway, if you've got a new Mac you'll know more than me - I only use Macs ocassionally since I lost my Classic II in the divorce :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.