Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChudMaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I am using the correct server smtp.charter.net, but i am unable to send emails. I can recieve emails fine, but while sending, it does not work. I can go online and send emails from mail.charter.net tho. Is there a setting i need?

msprouls

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2007
Are you trying to send mail from outside Charter's network? If you are they are most likely blocking port 25 smtp from coming into their network, most ISP's do.

If you are inside Charter's network you may need to turn on smtp authentication.

neverknowenough

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
Charter SMTP using another ISP

I had the same problem anytime I tried to send email when not connecting through Charter service until I made the following changes:

outgoing mail server (SMTP): mobile.charter.net
outgoing server port: 587
encryption: SSL
Use outgoing authentication: Log on using: "yourusername", "yourpassword"
Secure Password Authentication (SPA): required

Amazing! If it works for your mobile phone, it will also work for your "moblile computer."

Charter support will not tell you about this fix if you contact them. This is a significant problem for their customers when traveling but Charter won't help you beyond suggesting you use their net mail service (no thanks!).

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I have tried everything I can think of.

I am currently upgrading OSX, which i am sure will do nothing... I have tried changing all the settings, switching to mobile.charter.net with 587 for the server port.

Can anyone help?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.