Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I don't think you can.

Really? Not to blow my NDA or anything, but I've not found that setting? I'd love to make the menu opaque.

The only people I have heard say that there are opacity settings are the ones who haven't used leopard. So I guess that means you cannot change the opacity.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Really? Not to blow my NDA or anything, but I've not found that setting? I'd love to make the menu opaque.

The latest revision of Leopard's menubar (9A523+) isn't really very transparent at all. I don't think making the menubar completely opaque (like Tiger's) is anywhere in Apple's plan of action right now.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Here's a little teaser for those people without access to seeds: Leopard's improvements to Spotlight's performance and search speeds will make most of you dump Quicksilver. It really is instant as you type now.

Thats good, not that I use Quicksilver, i mainly use Namely because I only really need a launcher. However i use spotlight lots and a speed increase is very welcome as well as hopefully getting rid of it getting stuck looking for something.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Most people dont use Quicksilver just for app launching. There are quicker apps for doing that.

Egomaniac

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2006
Most people dont use Quicksilver just for app launching. There are quicker apps for doing that.

I never said they do use it just for app launching. Speed isn't the only improvement in Leopard's spotlight; it also searches many more types of data (such as bookmarks), rendering QuickSilver largely superfluous. I have no further need of it under Leopard.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
The latest revision of Leopard's menubar (9A523+) isn't really very transparent at all. I don't think making the menubar completely opaque (like Tiger's) is anywhere in Apple's plan of action right now.

I'm dl'ing it now - I hope that's true because I don't like the transparency in the last 2 seeds.

Also - to those wondering what's wrong with the dock, it's not transparent like the old one - so window content behind it is not at all visible any more.

That's all I'm comfortable saying with the NDA in all - I look forward to installing this seed to see if some bugs I've encountered are fixed too.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Not upgrading to a much advanced os because some ui-elements are ugly?

From the looks like some of the comments in this thread, yes. Most people on MacRumors, I've noticed, know a lot more about computers than the average person I know. People who come here are more into the under-the-hood improvements, while most people outside MacRumors don't know about or don't give a $h!t about those improvements. Plus, it seems like even the new GUI elements (menubar, dock, etc.) are deal breakers for some of the MacRumor members. So don't go spreading your $h!t just b/c other people have different opinions than yours.

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Whoa, the dock isn't transparent anymore? I didn't see that coming, I'm even more intrigued to see what this new build looks like now.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I never said they do use it just for app launching. Speed isn't the only improvement in Leopard's spotlight; it also searches many more types of data (such as bookmarks), rendering QuickSilver largely superfluous. I have no further need of it under Leopard.

Spotlight in Tiger searches bookmarks too.

Quicksilver does so much and is so extensible that the two can coexist quite easily.

kbrain2929

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
The Ville', KY
:apple:

I second the motion for as many screenshots as humanily ... or at least bandwith-ly... possible. Sorry.. I just got from a board of directors meeting. :D :apple:

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
You may have been joking but sadly its true. :p :(

It is true, because such a limited number of beta testers for what is a huge piece of software will mean that bugs wont be exposed as quickly.

I personally don't mind too much. I will still purchase Leopard on day one. Part of the appeal of following Apple is the secrecy. You lose a lot of that if Apple start announcing their products 3 years in advance and having huge beta testing periods. The bugs will be worked out for the most part by 10.X.1/10.X.2. People who run mission critical processes should not be installing a new OS that is bleeding edge anyway.

popatz

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2007
Refurbed Macs with Leopard?

I'd like to know if Apple's certified refurbished mbps will ship with Leopard after its release. Any indications that this will be the case or do I just have to wait to find out?

Thanks for any help you can give,

kbrain2929

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
The Ville', KY
I'd like to know if Apple's certified refurbished mbps will ship with Leopard after its release. Any indications that this will be the case or do I just have to wait to find out?

Hmmm.... Off to look into that.... It would be nice! :apple:

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
As anyone who works in software developemnt will tell you (to paraphrase) - no software survives contact with the enemy... eeerrr... end user.

Are there going to be bugs in the released version of Leopard? Yes. The only question is whether they will be "show-stoppers" on a per-user basis. 10.5.0 will be followed by 10.5.1 (which will fix some "last minute" things that did not make it into the gold master). 10.5.2 will (hopefully) fix most of the issues that come to light when Leopard "goes live".

A cautious user will of course continue to use Tiger 10.4.11 (or 10.4.12?) until Leopard's replacment is released - and then upgrade to Leopard 10.5.14 (or whatever).

Hence the reason you do a wider "release candidate" of a major software release. I mean really at this point the whole ooooo we have top secret features is beyond played out. Apple should drop a preview version of leopard for $10 which should cover the pressing, and shipping of the media easily. Build a small app into the RC for easy feedback, and have the OS expire in 90 days. I'm sorry but there are bugs in Tiger that are still present. USB bugs should have been squashed on day one of release. The behavior by apple borders on the unprofessional IMHO. IMHO you WANT to test the living crap out of your OS before the launch.
For as buggy as Vista is if you look at before they released it to the masses as a RC and after you will see that there were substantial gains in quality and stability. Again there is simply NO reason for Apple not to do this once the code gets more polished.
Apple has a huge fanbase who is more then willing to beta test. Go look at the bittorrent sites and see how many people have already DL these laster builds of Leopard. There is no reason to fight this. It a tool that Apple could use if they were the most arrogant company on the planet, which I believe they are. I'm certain it comes down to Jobs and his planet sized EGO. My guess. "Well we don't want to show the masses something that is buggy so we are keeping it behind closed doors." Its a load of BS but its BS that I'm certain Jobs is delusional enough to believe.

It is true, because such a limited number of beta testers for what is a huge piece of software will mean that bugs wont be exposed as quickly.

I personally don't mind too much. I will still purchase Leopard on day one. Part of the appeal of following Apple is the secrecy. You lose a lot of that if Apple start announcing their products 3 years in advance and having huge beta testing periods. The bugs will be worked out for the most part by 10.X.1/10.X.2. People who run mission critical processes should not be installing a new OS that is bleeding edge anyway.

If you want secrecy go buy a box of cracker jacks and pull out the prise. I want a solid OS to work on. This isn't a game. And frankly Apple CAN keep its secrecy. But 6 months before release would it really kill them to open the flood gates to us nerds?

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
The 3D dock in Leopard is too big. Is there any way that if you're resizing a window the bottom edge could push the dock down instead of going behind it?

And then if there are no windows in the way it springs back up again.

kbrain2929

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
The Ville', KY

Based upon what I just read... It's likely not to be known until the official release. Based upon what I saw on Apple's Refurb store site... It's likely. Even the oldest MBP still had OSX 10.4 with the latest updates. But with that said... they won't ship with iLife 08' or anything else like that. So who knows... I suppose we will have to wait and see. :apple:

EDIT: Strike that... some of the higher end refurbs ARE being shipped with iLife 08'... Hmmm... IDK...

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
If you want secrecy go buy a box of cracker jacks and pull out the prise. I want a solid OS to work on. This isn't a game. And frankly Apple CAN keep its secrecy. But 6 months before release would it really kill them to open the flood gates to us nerds?

Then wait 2 months after its release date for any big issues to be ironed out. I don't see what the problem is. Id like a rock solid OS from day one too, but Apple live and die by their secrecy and hype. It brings in the fans. It brings in the media coverage. And it brings in the money. All of this goes towards producing the great products we crave.

Dicx

Contributor
Jan 10, 2006
The 3D dock in Leopard is too big. Is there any way that if you're resizing a window the bottom edge could push the dock down instead of going behind it?

And then if there are no windows in the way it springs back up again.

If you have the dock locked in the "show position" all the time, ie no hiding, and you resize a window and get it down to the dock, it stops sizing. Think of it as hitting a brick wall, you can go sideways but not down anymore. The window just grazes the top of the dock.

If you move a window you can slide it behind the dock. Which makes the bottom hidden behind it.

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
THanks for the screenshots. The new less-transparent menubar is looking great! Has a nice gradient on it. Also the new traffic lights are great.

subwarm

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2003
Westchester, NY
I have to say that I dig the top menu bar a whole lot more with this new build. Really well polished, easy to read and easier on the eyes.

The glowing lights in the dock for active applications go really well with the whole space/nebula/galaxy motif as well (they kind of look like stars to me now).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.