Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ankh

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2003
> The new Airport Base Station can. Unfortunately, it only has a USB port and not Firewire.

Hmmm. If I have a USB II bus machine, and some USB 1 peripherals, does that pull the whole bus down to the slow speed? OR can the bus handle both and be fast where
the peripheral can handle it and slow for the older USB 1 devices?

Throttle? Or handshake?

chriswantsmbp12

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2007
This seems to fit in here: "MBP with smaller screen" poll

Just recently (well....today) I set up a polling website to collect votes from people who are interested in a MacBookPro with smaller screensize.
The goal is to collect as many votes as possible, and submit a petition to Apple Inc. try to make them build such a device.
Maybe a dream, but I had to do it...

Hopefully Mr. or Mrs. Admin doesn´t delete this post immediately.....

So if you think like me, that there is no real successor for the PowerBook 12 inch, please visit the site and vote.
Also please spread the news to anybody you think might be interested.

Voting is possible without having to register, I´m no spammer and there is no adsense or anything similar on that site, there´s no hidden financial interest!

Let´s do it, this is just the beginning!

Cheers!

Chris

Ooops, I should have added the URL...

http://www.waclik.com/mbp12inch/

ABM

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Europe
anyone else seen the mockups by Isamu Sanada on http://www.apple-style.com?

pict07_macbooklite_070822c.jpg

pict07_macbooklite_070822a.jpg

pict07_macbooklite_070822b.jpg

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
I think it would be hard to sell people on that keyboard. It looks a lot like my razor phone, and I cant imagine typing on that. I need feedback if I am not going to watch what I am typing. Call me old school.

BennyK

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2004
Appleton, WI
This will probably still happen this year. Man maybe Apple is going to have a monthly meeting from Aug (iMac), Sept (iPod), Oct (Lepord), Nov (new Macbook), Dec = $$$$ from Christmas shopping

jmacbeliever

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2007
Still waiting...

I bought my first mac, a 12" PowerBook, back in 2002... and I've told myself that I won't buy another one until they come out with something with an equally small footprint. Mine still works great... but I wouldn't mind getting a more up-to-date version... even if it didn't have an optical drive, etc.

Here's hoping for a pre-Christmas release!

Prof.

macrumors 603
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
That's great and all, but how much do you want to make a bet that it will have an extremely small hard drive (80GB) and a slower processor (1.83GHz) than the current MacBooks. People these days want power and performance.

Prof. :apple:

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
That's great and all, but how much do you want to make a bet that it will have an extremely small hard drive (80GB) and a slower processor (1.83GHz) than the current MacBooks. People these days want power and performance.

You don't fully understand what an ultraportable is about.

There's nothing wrong with say a L7700 merom chip at 1.8GHz in small package.

No-one's complaining about the iphone being underpowered are they?

..and 80GB small? Not if it's flash it isn't.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
That's great and all, but how much do you want to make a bet that it will have an extremely small hard drive (80GB) and a slower processor (1.83GHz) than the current MacBooks. People these days want power and performance.:

Wow. You know what people want? You know what I want??!

How about reading the bloody thread, realizing that people might have different needs than you,Your Highness?

With your logic,people would be dragging their MP octos in a sled everywhere, because..you know.. people want power and performance theese days!

ecks618

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2006
NYC
I have been dying for a updated version of the 12" powerbook. I think that it was a great seller for apple before and will be again if they release it. I doubt highly that it will cut into the profits of the current macbook, though I think that it will fall in price if they are released.

I am eagerly awaiting the release or any word about this laptop.

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ

Prof. :apple:

Thus explaining the runaway success of 19" laptops with desktop processors like the HP Pavillion DV8000 or the Toshiba Qosimo G35 (which had a removable keyboard).

17" laptops can weigh up to 10 pounds. I carried a 17" HP with a desktop Pentium IV on a business trip to Tokyo. Immediately upon return I ordered a 2.7 pound IBM Thinkpad X40. Yeah, you get a slightly slower processor (for power consuption savings) and small hard drives (my X40 had a special proprietary tiny hard disk; now they use standard SATA laptop drives and are still just as small and light). But you get 95% of a regular laptop's power and features in something weighing 3 pounds. That's what ultraportables are all about.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
... I'd buy a used 12" powerbook before I'd buy a mac book.......so if apple has some new small laptop coming out...I'd be interested.

Frank D.

I bought two Apple-refurb 12" G4 powerbooks during the spring, one as a spare for myself and the other for an extended family member. Who knew it would be such a project?! I had to get onto Apple's refurb area at 8am sharp every day for a couple of weeks each time I was trying to make the purchase. Tried for one more, no more 12" refurbs at Apple any more, finally did manage to get a used one from a reseller back in May or June.

The 12" G4s are apparently like certain cars, most people don't trade them in but just drive 'em into the ground. That's what I plan to do with mine unless a 12" intel-based book shows up. The 12" G4 is the best machine I've ever owned, for reliability, portability and features.

By now Apple knows the missing 12" machine is a big deal to its user base, no? Would I settle for an ultraportable? Maybe, although I'm not keen on paying the ton of money it takes to get lots of flash storage. I can maybe see getting one if it has somewhat less storage and a FW port and an optical drive. Then we're back to how ultralight can that be. Not very. What I really want is "just" a 12 inch MacBookPro. Heat management is the engineering obstacle there, I am beginning to suspect.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I bought two Apple-refurb 12" G4 powerbooks during the spring, one as a spare for myself and the other for an extended family member. Who knew it would be such a project?! I had to get onto Apple's refurb area at 8am sharp every day for a couple of weeks each time I was trying to make the purchase. Tried for one more, no more 12" refurbs at Apple any more, finally did manage to get a used one from a reseller back in May or June.

The 12" G4s are apparently like certain cars, most people don't trade them in but just drive 'em into the ground. That's what I plan to do with mine unless a 12" intel-based book shows up. The 12" G4 is the best machine I've ever owned, for reliability, portability and features.

By now Apple knows the missing 12" machine is a big deal to its user base, no? Would I settle for an ultraportable? Maybe, although I'm not keen on paying the ton of money it takes to get lots of flash storage. I can maybe see getting one if it has somewhat less storage and a FW port and an optical drive. Then we're back to how ultralight can that be. Not very. What I really want is "just" a 12 inch MacBookPro. Heat management is the engineering obstacle there, I am beginning to suspect.

i'm actually thinking of picking up a 12" G4, just for portability (nothing big, mainly internet use)

the prices on ebay is still $800-900, which in my mind is still a little too steep.

Retired
May 16, 2006
If they could make that mini, they would have to take the big border off the regular Macbook...

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
I just recently sold my ASUS laptop on ebay so I'm eagerly waiting for the arrival of this ultraportable / macbookpro refresh. I hope I won't be disappointed.

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007

Love mine. 1GHz runs Leopard very well. I was using it the other night and forget how long the battery lasts. Quiet, small, cool, long-lasting.

Taylor C

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
First of all, the 12" PowerBook was introduced in 2003, not 2002. I think Apple will introduce something at MacWorld. They certainly aren't going to hold an event before the holidays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.