Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
I'm getting more excited about this new MacBook every day. If the new machine has the following specs, I'd sell my MacBook in a heartbeat:

- fast processor. At least 2Ghz. I hope they don't sacrifice speed for slimness.
- metal enclosure. I think this is a no-brainer. That Appleinsider mockup looks delicious.
- dedicated graphics. If it falls under the Pro line, I would love to see a dedicated Nvidia or Ati chip.
- 13" screen. I really don't need anything smaller, even if it keeps the 1280x800 resolution. The MacBook screen is perfect, only the bezel is too thick.
- hard drive. to be honest, I hope SSD is a BTO and not a standard feature.
- LCD screen. Not only for energy saving, but for brightness as well.
- external dvd burner. I don't mind the omission of an internal drive, as long as they include one that plugs into a USB or FireWire port.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Penryn T8100 based (29w, due out in january 08) I'm hoping with machine specs similar to above.

So thin and light, but not a true ultraportable. That would suit me.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
- fast processor. At least 2Ghz. I hope they don't sacrifice speed for slimness.

If this is a 13" replacement for the 12" PowerBook, you may be happy.

If this is truly an ultra-portable, expect a much less power-hungry CPU.

- 13" screen. I really don't need anything smaller, even if it keeps the 1280x800 resolution. The MacBook screen is perfect, only the bezel is too thick.

13" is reasonable for a 12" PB replacement, but too large for an ultra-portable.

- LCD screen. Not only for energy saving, but for brightness as well.

Typo - I assume you meant "LED backlight for the LCD". All the MacBooks have LCD screens, some of the MBPs have LED backlights for the LCDs.

- external dvd burner. I don't mind the omission of an internal drive, as long as they include one that plugs into a USB or FireWire port.

A matching external optical drive is usually standard or optional for ultra-portables. Most of these, however, have a special connector because one USB port doesn't provide enough power for most optical drives.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Oh, if the machine is more like the Sony 11.1" form factor I'd like to see use of the Merom LV L7700 (17w, 1.8GHz C2D 4 MB cache). That was out in September.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
Typo - I assume you meant "LED backlight for the LCD". All the MacBooks have LCD screens, some of the MBPs have LED backlights for the LCDs.

Yeah, my bad. I meant LED, not LCD. I also hope this will be the true replacement for the 12" PB, not a true ultra-portable.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
+1

I love my 12" Powerbook dearly, but something portable with some more oomph for Ableton's effects and numerous VSTs would be most welcome :)

I just upgraded my 'new' 12" PowerBook to 1.25GB RAM and 250GB HDD - the battery is 4 hours (and I have two) so I am thrilled with it! :D

But then...

+1 because it would be so amazing...

headfuzz

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
Brighton, UK
Hehe I never said I wasn't happy with my G4, simply that a new 12" MBP would be very welcome :p

I've only got 768Mb of memory, which isn't so much of a hassle as Ableton isn't too much of a memory hog, but that cpu meter does sometimes get a little high... Do you you use Ableton?

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
you you use Ableton?

I don't, but I know someone that does. I think 1.25GB will help a lot! It's a just from 768MB - I did it this evening (and the HDD upgrade).

I want a small MBP in current form factor - but I don't quite see it happening right now... we'll see I guess.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon

MacScoop claims that according to "trusted sources" Apple is planning on releasing "a notebook that is so small and light that it could redefine the standards of ultra-portable computing."

The upcoming Apple notebook is said to feature a 12" display, 0.6-0.7 inches thick, and weigh less than 3 pounds. MacScoop's sources are unclear if an optical drive will accompany this ultra-portable notebook, but do feel it is likely to come by year's end (2007).

More Apple hype for the MacZombies :rolleyes:

My 12" LED-screened Sony G11 weighs 1.1kgs - WITH an optical drive. I bought it early this year.
My TZ's also weighs less than 3lbs - with HSDPA and optical drive.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Hehe I never said I wasn't happy with my G4, simply that a new 12" MBP would be very welcome :p

I've only got 768Mb of memory, which isn't so much of a hassle as Ableton isn't too much of a memory hog, but that cpu meter does sometimes get a little high... Do you you use Ableton?

I do...used to use it, quite adequately, on my 1.33GHz 12" pbook (768MB) but when 6 came out with multiprocessor support I bought a macbook. Live flies on the macbook but it's no powerbook (in terms of feel and portability).

headfuzz

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
Brighton, UK
I do...used to use it, quite adequately, on my 1.33GHz 12" pbook (768MB) but when 6 came out with multiprocessor support I bought a macbook. Live flies on the macbook but it's no powerbook (in terms of feel and portability).

Yeah I have 6 too and want to use the multiprocessor support on the lappy front.

Have been tempted by a Macbook now they've been bumped to the Santa Rosa platform but as it's not a necessity I'd like to sit out the wait and see if Apple come up with another 12" - lest we forget they fit into a record bag! :D

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Yeah I have 6 too and want to use the multiprocessor support on the lappy front.

Have been tempted by a Macbook now they've been bumped to the Santa Rosa platform but as it's not a necessity I'd like to sit out the wait and see if Apple come up with another 12" - lest we forget they fit into a record bag! :D

Yup. The Macbook is nice enough and my work Macbook Pro (SR 2.2) is also ok but they seem massive compared to the 12" Powerbook.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
XP or Vista I guess,

Rhetorical.

as Apple know if they sold OSX for use on others hardware their own MacBook and MacBook Pro range sales would go through the floor.

I don't buy that argument. PC laptops are mostly crappier than you always think. Sony, IBM, Toshiba, Dell, Samsung I've got experience of them all.

Apple's quality control needs a little shove (I had 2 LED-lit screens for my MBP before they fixed it) but by and large the machine's design (functionally mainly, and aesthetically too) is pretty nice.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
...I don't buy that argument. PC laptops are mostly crappier than you always think...
Apple have nothing to realistically compete with the Sony TZ or Asus U1F etc. though do they, and what in their range competes with Sesshi's machine for the traveller?
...Apple's quality control needs a little shove...
ROTFFLMFWHAO!!:D

Oh that's funny, for a second I thought you were being serious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.