Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I know there'll be 10,00 threads like this, but I just have to babblle about these things! I thought the current iPod lineup was still stronger than what anyone else had, but...

Most boring-iPod Shuffle. The new colors look great, and there's a Product Red version, which is cool.

iPod Nano-AWESOME! This is just about perfect! Better interface than my 5.5G, almost as large of a screen, and it's flash based (which for me would be better than having more storage space I don't really use). And just $149/199 for a 4 and 8GB version? That is awesome!

iPod Classic-I guess the successor to the "main" iPod line. 80GB/160GB as the new sizes and it's smaller and has the new interface. Not the iPod for me anymore, but it's awesome if you need the space.

iPod Touch! I wish wish wish wish this had full PIM capabilities-I SOOOOOOO hope Apple gives it full (even if limited) PIM and Office compatibility in the near future, and this thing will be the ultimate PDA. But in the meantime, it's an iPhone, for hundreds less, without the phone (and it's thinner even). $299/399 for 8/16GB. Basically it's $100 more than the equivalent size iPod Nano. My only concern about it as an iPod is I'm not sure if I'd be able to stand the touch interface. Thankfully volume control is hardware based, but I *HATED* having software buttons on both my Palm's media player and my 3G iPod. I'm not sure how this would be any different.

But anyway, I think this lineup is just insanely great-really. I'm sure SOMEONE will still complain about it though!

Dang, this is terrible, but...I wish I was in the market for a new iPod!

EDIT: Wow! They even dropped the price of the iPhone $200! The 4GB version is gone, and now the 8GB version is $399!

Now to me THAT is a really good deal, the problem being the horrible prices AT&T has (geez I wish I could get a CDMA version and magically activate it on US Cellular). Still, for people willing to pay for that plan, it's a no brainer.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
People will moan and whinge.

It probably has already started.

But from where I am sitting, Apple is at the top of it's game.

Not mentioned in the keynote, but OS X market share is about to increase to…

Windows everywhere? No, OS X everywhere!

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Its definitely an awesome line up. I'm putting in an order for a iPod Touch ASAP. He didn't mention anything on a worldwide release for the iPhone though which is disappointing.....

ShadOW

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Me neither, this is like what I expected times a million!

They're all amazing!
dsc_7605.jpg

dsc_7621.jpg

dsc_7634.jpg

dsc_7656.jpg

Enter 1337 mode.
WTF ZUNE LOLOLOL!!!!!!11!!!!!!!1

Exit 1337 mode.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
I just realized the iPod touch probably has an internal speaker-at least I hope it does. I've wanted an internal speaker on my ipod from the beginning. I listen to mostly spoken audio (podcasts, audio books, etc.), and often want to just set my iPod somewhere and use it like that.

Dang, if it does have an internal speaker...then I really need to get busy finding some plausible reason why I need one now even though my 5.5G works fine :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, the Zune. Yeah, boy I want one of those even more now :p

EDIT2: Darn, now I'm thinking the internal speaker was removed from the iPod Touch. Oh well :(

Alloye

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2007
Rocklin, CA
I agree. The new iPod lineup is fantastic. The touch is actually better than I expected, plus I think the new nano and classic look great.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
I agree, everything looks spectacular.

Now iPhone/iPod Touch just need to have the APIs opened up and Apple will have the best PDA on the market by far (since third parties will fill in the gaps).

xodonniedarko

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
North Carolina
I AM BUSTING OUT OF MY SEAMS OH MY GOSH.

I'm a little mad because last year I purchased a product red version ipod nano for 200$ for 4 gigs, and I got it because it said 'limited edition' and I THOUGHT it wouldn't be there very long.

I like the new red color a lot better- it looks to me as if it has some pink in it. I am such a junkie I am lusting over all these thigns I don't need/won't have.

But oh man is it GORGEOUS OR WHAT?
I definitely like the idea of the touch ipod although I haven't done a lot of research about it. I know by christmas of 2008 the touch ipod will be redone, better, and lower price, as are all t he rest of apple products.

Oh dang dude.
I am so flipping excited!

I think I'm going to buy my boyfriend an ipod nano for Christmas

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah, I just had a coworker stop by and say "I have a feeling this is the last Palm I'll ever buy". Said they are SOOOO close to having a PDA here.

I wonder if this version of OS X it's running still only has one run level (or whatever it's called), like so that applications are stuck running at the same level as the OS. And if it is like that, I wonder why? Maybe those ARM CPUs only support that?

I also wonder if Google's document and spreadsheet program would run through it's Safari. If so, that could sort of be a stopgap to fill in some of the iPod/iPhone's missing features...

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
OMG i just checked out the apple site (i just woke up) and OMG the new ipods are the awsomenesszz!!!. im gonna have to end up buying all 2 ipods and then the iphone aswell because i just cant decide which one is betterz!?!?!?! ZOMG so good apple

storage

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
I was really, really set on buying an iPod touch, if they were to announce it, especially if it had WiFi. But then they went and announced the 160GB iPod classic, and they shattered my world.

I just can't decide on which one! To be honest, I want one of each of the new iPods.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
How could it be "removed" if none of the ipods ever had one?

It's basically an iPhone without the phone, so I hoped it would have the speaker. I assumed it would still at least have hardware buttons for the volume control, but it looks like it doesn't have that either.

Without hardware controls, and with really stunted PDA functions, the iPod Touch is looking less and less useful to me personally. It's still a cool piece of technology, but I think I'd have to go with the iPod Nano if I were in the market right now.

I *really* hope Apple adds to the PDA functionalities of the iPod Touch/iPhone, and I *really* hope they add some basic hardware controls to the Touch. I can't imagine trying to drive, or even walk while trying to adjust the volume, play and pause, etc. with a touch screen. The 3G iPod drove me NUTS because of that (among other reasons).

Even just adding a volume rocker and a single play pause button would possibly make it go from unusable in many situations to basically fully usable.

I was really, really set on buying an iPod touch, if they were to announce it, especially if it had WiFi. But then they went and announced the 160GB iPod classic, and they shattered my world.

I just can't decide on which one! To be honest, I want one of each of the new iPods.

Yeah, they're all great in their own way...except for the Touch, the more I think about it. As much as it's the one I'd really want, it's severely compromised in it's basic functions the more I think about it :(

Oh well, even aside from the touch I like what they've done with the Nano, Classic, and even the Shuffle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.