Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vansouza

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2006
West Plains, MO USA Earth
Delivered yesterday ...

I think it came with the update, I did not pay attention to the updates that processed when I first turned it on yesterday morning. But no freezing here.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Where do you find the crash log?

Note the time it locked up, or whatever oddity it did.. Then next time you boot it, go to your Applications > Utilities folder, and launch the 'Console' app. Click the 'Logs' icon in the top left, then click on system. If its empty, or doesn't look like its showing everything, click on reload.
From around the time it locked up, you may well find something that starts with ** ASIC Hang Log Start ** followed by a ton of stuff, and perhaps **ASIC Hang Log End ** at the end of it all. This will be at the time you forced a shut down on the mac via the power button. You copy/paste what you find into a text edit doc.
At least thats what i do anyway. If anyone knows a better way, Im all ears.

Anyway, I just found tonight that UT2004 locks up in Windows XP too (It didnt yesterday, but maybe I didnt give it long enough). And the symptoms are near enough identical. It froze in the usual way. I left it for a moment, then the screen went black. But I could still hear the game running in the background.
So once again, the graphics system is taking a dump, just as it does in OS X.

So this makes me think again about a hardware problem. Then again, whats to say the XP drivers are not just as bad as the OS X ones. After all, Apple still compiled them together for bootcamp.
Now to update the Apple tech folk..

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
I spoke with a couple of people again today at Apple (not AppleCare). And they requested I send my iMac in 'as is' so that they can reproduce and investigate the issue.
A new replacement should arrive in a few days, maybe after the weekend.

What worries me is, that the new one may do the same thing, simply because ive not read of anyone running UT2004 on these iMacs yet without it freezing at some point.
Either way, my iMacs issues are the same as many other folks reported with their iMacs, just in my example, less software appeared to trigger it.

Lets see what happens..

mrgq

macrumors member
Sep 28, 2007
The EFI update did not apply to the new AluMacs. It is for the iMacs (late 2006). I ended up reformating my iMac again and doing all the updates except for the 1.1. No more freezes so far. Working as it was b4 1.1 update.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
The EFI update did not apply to the new AluMacs. It is for the iMacs (late 2006). I ended up reformating my iMac again and doing all the updates except for the 1.1. No more freezes so far. Working as it was b4 1.1 update.

Perfect. :D

B2O

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2005

Isn;t the update firmware based? Is reformatting your your hard drive and starting again going to help?

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Isn;t the update firmware based? Is reformatting your your hard drive and starting again going to help?

I think there's a mix up. The EFI update is for firmware but the 1.1 update enhances the GPU. Reformatting will remove the 1.1.

B2O

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2005
No more freezes so far. Working as it was b4 1.1 update.

I've just had a look at my software update logs, and as I installed the 1.1 update sometime ago, believe I can't blame that for the problems I'm having, although the symptoms are exactly the same as others on this thread.

My recent updates include:

2007-09-15 19:49:04 +0100: Installed "iMac Software Update" (1.1)

2007-09-25 22:48:25 +0100: Installed "iTunes" (7.4.2)

2007-09-26 22:50:15 +0100: Installed "iDVD Update" (7.0.1)
2007-09-26 22:50:20 +0100: Installed "iMovie Update" (7.1)
2007-09-26 22:50:28 +0100: Installed "GarageBand Update" (4.1)
2007-09-26 22:50:42 +0100: Installed "iPhoto Update" (7.1)
2007-09-26 22:50:45 +0100: Installed "iLife Support" (8.1)

2007-09-28 18:41:34 +0100: Installed "Keynote Update" (4.0.1)
2007-09-28 18:41:42 +0100: Installed "Pages Update" (3.0.1)
2007-09-28 18:41:47 +0100: Installed "Numbers Update" (1.0.1)
2007-09-28 18:41:53 +0100: Installed "iWeb Update" (2.0.2)
My first and subsequent crashes occurred after the iTunes 7.4.2 update.

Although I can see the graphical artifacting with no applications other than the finder launched, watching a video (such as a vodcast or Apple bought movie) through iTunes freezes the machine everytime.

Although the iMac software update included graphic driver changes, are we sure this is the culprit?

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Although the iMac software update included graphic driver changes, are we sure this is the culprit?

Not sure at all.. My new iMac had just as many problems before the 1.1 update, as after the update.
I managed to get the iMac replaced by Apple. But as the complaints against the 1.1 update seem so strong and numerous, ive left it off (I put v1.0 on for now). But i'll spring for v1.2 if and when its released.

I've not had a chance to test the replacement iMac thoroughly yet to see if it has the same issue or not. Im not confident, i'll admit :rolleyes:

atthecross

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
Add me to the list of crashers, my less than 30 day old 24" aluminum iMac started freezing, seems like after an iTunes update. I know that a lot of people are saying it is going on with 1.1. Took it to the Apple Store and the Genius reformated and fresh installed OS said that should do it. Took it home and the display became totally garbled, took it back and they gave me a new unit. But I've seen the freezing a couple of times on this unit too.

First iMac serial number W87095xxxxx second iMac W87334xxxxx

RevToTheRedline

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
Just like to report I've had my new iMac 3 weeks, installed every recent update as they come out. No problems what so ever, in OSX or XP.

cuy333

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
Freezes Sometimes

After having several random freezes on my three week old 24" 2.4 machine, I decided to re-install everything and start over. Yesterday it started freezing up all over again, however today after three hours, it has been OK... :confused: I don't know what to do next.

B2O

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2005
I put v1.0 on for now

After reproducing another crash, I rolled back the package from 1.1 to 1.0 using the instructions above and haven't been able to replicate the issue. I'll be hesitent to install the next fix until reports clear it of any problems.

Good luck to the rest of you.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Update: My replacement iMac freezes in the same way with the same software. General finder tasks and iApps etc seem to operate fine though. But give it something graphically challenging to do for a while, like a game such as UT2004, and it freezes.
For those who say their iMac works fine. I bet isn't quite so fine, and that something like UT2004 would still freeze it.
It wont just be this game however. But its the only one I have experience of. Other games are known to trigger the problem too.. Not that games are everything mind, but it doesn't exactly inspire confidence to run anything more important/serious on it, if it cant even handle an ageing game :rolleyes:

Also, just like my 1st iMac, it still freezes with the V1.0 update. The V1.1 update makes next to no difference on either iMac I used.

imacan

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Ok Luap, I am not a gamer but I downloaded the UT2004 demo to test your assumption since I don't get any freezing since reverting back to 1.0. Now what should I do to try to make it freeze?

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Ok Luap, I am not a gamer but I downloaded the UT2004 demo to test your assumption since I don't get any freezing since reverting back to 1.0. Now what should I do to try to make it freeze?

Is the UT2004 demo UB? Last I saw the demo hadnt been updated for years.
Anyway, you don't have to do much at all. Instant or online games seem to trigger it.
Im not certain, but with more players, and more complex map/levels, it may freeze sooner. So if you dont want to be waiting around too long, try to set up an instant game, with say 20 bots, and a large map with lots of features. Plus crank the graphics settings up, if they are not maxed by default.
You dont even have to play the game, just spectating will do.

If you happen to have XP installed via Bootcamp, it may be worth trying the demo there (If the mac version isnt UB). As on my iMac (X2), it freezes in XP too.

The freezing will usually happen within the hour. Yet sometimes in as little as a minute. It really does seem completely random.

caseydude

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
Same problem here imac 24" after the update doesnt want to restart
freezes at bluescreen only mouse works I have to unplug the powercord to get a good reboot. this sucks.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Same problem here imac 24" after the update doesnt want to restart
freezes at bluescreen only mouse works I have to unplug the powercord to get a good reboot. this sucks.

Bluescreen? Is it freezing in Windows? There's no bluescreen on Mac OS X. A kernel panic screen is black with words showing up on the screen in a translucent window telling you to hold down the power button to shut down.

imacan

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Bluescreen? Is it freezing in Windows? There's no bluescreen on Mac OS X. A kernel panic screen is black with words showing up on the screen in a translucent window telling you to hold down the power button to shut down.

Yes you have a blue screen when you boot (he says he can't boot properly) after the gray apple screen it gets all blue when you can read Loading Mac OS X.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Yes you have a blue screen when you boot (he says he can't boot properly) after the gray apple screen it gets all blue when you can read Loading Mac OS X.

Oh that? Didn't know what he was talking about however that's not the actual screen you get when it crashes and that's what the thread's about. Okay, got it. I hope things work out for everyone because I have had zero issues and not one freeze or crash on my new iMac and I have had it for a month. I play taxing games on it like Second Life which just dogs the processor and GPU.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I rolled back to 1.0, and it didn't help... I continued to have the 'freezing' problems. Resetting my PRAM a couple days ago seems to have helped, I haven't experienced a freeze since. However, now I'm getting screen artifacts like this:

http://filer.case.edu/djc6/24-imac-graphics.jpg

Moving the window a little clears it up temporarily. Those little bits of color on my pages document appear to be pieces of my background.

Anyone else experiencing problems like this?

David

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
Evidence is starting to appear from users that this is indeed a hardware fault. Check Apples discussion forums..

Apple must be aware that a massive amount of these latest iMacs are faulty, and im disgusted that they have nothing to say on the matter, leaving customers guessing all this time. The clueless AppleCare staff are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard too.

I believe this issue now needs attention from the press, because without that, Apple is just going to continue fobbing us off and not do anything to resolve the problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.