Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filman408

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
San Jose, CA
Does anyone know if this outputs true Widescreen, or just Letterboxed Widescreen (like the previous iPods)? Specifically for the classic & nano.
In other words, can I display the output natively on a HDTV, or will the video feed need to be enlarged for the content to fill the screen?

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Why do I have the funny feeling the TV out will ONLY display videos being played, and not the GUI or the iPod or the photo library or safari or anything except video.... I always hated that about the old iPod I messed with that had video out... am I wrong?

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Does anyone know if this outputs true Widescreen, or just Letterboxed Widescreen (like the previous iPods)? Specifically for the classic & nano.
In other words, can I display the output natively on a HDTV, or will the video feed need to be enlarged for the content to fill the screen?

The videos on itunes are 640x272, 272 sounds kinda short for letterboxing, but ive seen stranger things.

filman408

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
San Jose, CA
The videos on itunes are 640x272, 272 sounds kinda short for letterboxing, but ive seen stranger things.

640x272 is for 2.35:1 video, aka most Movies. This res will still have black on the top and bottom irregardless (they will be smaller on HDTV sets)
640x360 if for 16x9, some movies and many TV shows. This should not have black bars if displayed correctly on HDTV sets.

I am curious about widscreen output mainly for the latter.

Letterboxing is adding bars on the top and bottom to create a 4:3 images (not HDTV friendly for widescreen content). If letterboxed video is shown on a HDTV set without being expanded, the video will have a think border all the way around.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I really wish this was both Composite AND Component. I have an HD TV, but I also like to use an older set in my bedroom, and a converter is around $125. :(:(

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
Old iPod AV Cables

Has anyone tried their old iPod AV cables. I bought some back when I had an iPod Photo, and I think I have them lying around somewhere, but would love it would work with iPhone. It's only composite out, but it would be great to not have to buy another set of cables.

newton213

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2004
The old cables won't work, they used to plug into the headphone jack, which had extra pins inside it for the video. These new cables get their video from the 30-pin dock connector. Try plugging the old cable into an iPhone or the new iPods, and the best you're gonna get is audio.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Best new iPhone feature ever!

I look forward to 3rd-party cables though. Apple's come with a USB charger--which is nice added value, but overkill for me. And if you buy BOTH component and composite (which I would) then you'd have two chargers--real overkill.

I'd like to see a 3rd-party cable that combines component, composite, and USB in one--but leaves the charger out.

(And I too would like to see the whole GUI. But slideshows are what I mainly want. It's cool that the new devices do show SOMETHING during music playback, unlike my old iPod Photo. iPhone and Touch even show "nice on-screen cover graphics during playback.")

As for wide vs. standard, that's a preference we've seen that the iPhone lets you toggle. (Same for recent iPods, I believe.)

The iPhone headphone connector uses the extra pin for the mic, so video now must go through the dock. That's my understanding.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Looks good, would of been better if they posted some photos of the TV and iPod side by side to show the difference between what shows and the quality... or did they and I didn't see those photos ?

zapp

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2003
Caribou,ME
I really wish this was both Composite AND Component. I have an HD TV, but I also like to use an older set in my bedroom, and a converter is around $125. :(:(

I have the same problem, and I ordered the composite cable. It will connect to my older tv's where I would use them the most and still connect to my HDTV. I ordered a week ago, and got the shipping notice for one of them this morning.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Why do I have the funny feeling the TV out will ONLY display videos being played, and not the GUI or the iPod or the photo library or safari or anything except video.... I always hated that about the old iPod I messed with that had video out... am I wrong?

now that would be nice if everything showed up on the tv. but i doubt it will

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
Best new iPhone feature ever!

I look forward to 3rd-party cables though. Apple's come with a USB charger--which is nice added value, but overkill for me. And if you buy BOTH component and composite (which I would) then you'd have two chargers--real overkill.

I'd like to see a 3rd-party cable that combines component, composite, and USB in one--but leaves the charger out.

I'm becoming more pessimistic about Apple and the 3rd Party recently.

lawcomic

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
If you could somehow have Keynote and its presentations on the iPhone, this would be awesome.

pmade

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
I have the same problem, and I ordered the composite cable. It will connect to my older tv's where I would use them the most and still connect to my HDTV. I ordered a week ago, and got the shipping notice for one of them this morning.

Does anyone know if the apple retail stores will be selling the composite cables?

gtarz

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007

gtarz

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
But how would you get it on the phone? A web based method would be unreliable...connection issues, etc.

In keynote I have heard it is possible to export your presentations to quicktime. If this is possible, you could export the quicktime file for iphone then load it through itunes, just like your other videos.

pmade

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
Woopieeee! 480i. Way to send me back to the stone age, Apple.

Admittedly, I'm living in the "stone age" myself. I have an old school TV and stereo setup. But then again, I don't find myself watching TV more than once a week either.

That said, I don't understand why it's important for the iPhone to have HD outputs. Is anyone really going to put HD quality content on their phone, or even their iPod for that matter? Does low quality video look good when output to a HD device?

I'm not trying to start a flame war, I'm trying to understand how people are using their iPhone/iPod with HD equipment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.