Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has posted updates to Apple Remote Desktop 3.2 today:

Apple Remote Desktop 3.2 Client
The 3.2 client update is recommended for all users and addresses numerous issues related to overall reliability, usability and compatibility.

Apple Remote Desktop 3.2 Admin
The 3.2 update is recommended for all users and addresses numerous issues related to overall reliability, usability and compatibility. It includes specific fixes for:

• compatibility with Mac OS X Leopard
• getting status and connecting to computers on slow networks
• typing accented characters on European language keyboards
• using Open Application tasks on Intel-based Macs
• accurately reporting operating system version numbers
• compatibility with third party VNC viewers and servers

Article Link

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Finally, I couldn't stand the fact that Screen Sharing doesn't save connections or populate my whole network like ARD does. Works great on 9a559.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
Sitening compiled a list (with descriptions) of 16 of what they felt were the coolest least known features coming in Leopard.

• Instant Screen Sharing from the Finder

Is this a feature that will be observable only to ARD admins?

The 3.2 update is recommended for all users and addresses numerous issues related to overall reliability, usability and compatibility. It includes specific fixes for:

• compatibility with third party VNC viewers and servers

Good. This is the area I've had most issues with, although I've got it working with XP pretty well, lately.

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Is this a feature that will be observable only to ARD admins?

Nope, which is why I like it, all you have to do is open finder and (most of) the computers in your network just show up. You still get prompted for a password though. It makes screen sharing very easy.

But like I said before, it is no replacement for ARD in a corporate environment.

For example, Finder only shows about 5-7 Macs without digging deeper, when I know there are hundreds. Screen sharing doesn't save connections. Screen sharing doesn't accept short names accross different domain controllers, you need the whole IP, cant use "jpyre-ibook" unless its on the same controller. ARD however works fine, and I like it better for work. Screen sharing is great for home use though. It's free and works with any 10.4 with RD turned on no problem.

BigPrince

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2006
If you update the new admin but not the clients can the new admin still access old clients?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
about time they fixed the bug in ARD...

i have 2 monitors configured at any heights (via system prefs) and whenever i remoted into my computer the mouse would move down 1/4 of the screen... it

its fixed now so im extremely happy. seems really sharp and quick too :)

good one apple

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.