Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imlucid

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
Does that also go for music as well?

Yep, anything you drag in. Basically you can set the default behavior in the preferences and holding down the option key will do the opposite (i.e. if you switch the default behavior to not copy items in but create an alias, holding down the option key will do the copy).

Kevin

Tafnerd

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2007
I actually don't have an appletv, I use my MacMini hooked up to my 50" plasma running Leopard's Front Row. I hate how I have to convert my movies to mp4 in order to be used in iTunes, and I refuse to do it except for my iPhone movie files. I'm a stickler for video quality and don't want to compress something that was already compressed. I basically have all my movies on an external drive and have folders called "Movies", "TV Shows", "Music Videos", and "Other". I put aliases for these in my home "movies" folder and access it through Front Row or just through the Finder, which i end up doing 90% of the time.

For the finder I set it up in icon view with a black background. Then I find the artwork online and convert it to an icon, then apply it to the movie file. It's not quite as slick as a remote interface but I use my macmini for web/photo browsing all the time anyway, not a big deal with a wireless keyboard and mouse. It's also nice to just see all your movies all at once, and looks pretty impressive. The other thing is that Quicktime with Perian installed doesn't work smoothly with MKV files, I need to open them with VLC.

EDIT: just wanted to add that another advantage to having the macmini is that I use it as a main media basestation and for torrent downloads. My other computer is a MacBook so it's nice to have a dedicated machine for downloads and one iTunes library that is always on and that I can access at any time.

Hi Peter that's an interesting solution. How do you launch from the finder screenshot that you shared? I'm assuming the "movie files" you're applying the artwork to are VIDEO_TS files? Thanks!

cowm007

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
As much as I'd love to jump into the HD bandwagon, I've got my poor iPhone to think about. I must say some of those collections look impressive though. Here's some pics of mine. I don't like to have multiple files so I have one rip for all my devices. The files play perfectly on any of our iPods/iPhones, the AppleTV, and the computers. The screenshot clipped off the database size for the TV shows. I've got 560 episodes. Mostly Curb your Enthusiasm and Seinfeld lol.

Attachments

• tvShows.jpg
    tvShows.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 936
  • movies1.jpg
    movies1.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 1,047
  • movies2.jpg
    movies2.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 939

miTunes75

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2006
A little off-topic

Hey there:

I'm considering purchasing an atv soon. But, here's a question. I just bought Hairspray today and I can't get it to copy onto my HDD from mactheripper OR handbrake. ImPOSSible. I also have Star Wars III that I have difficulty with also.

So, is it possible....to rip the dvds on a PC...then converting to appletv format through handbrake? Has anyone done this?

krissvl

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
TV folder

Hi i dont own appleTV but use front Row 2.0 i have too much media to put it all in Itunes. does anyone know if you can place a allias folder from an external harddrive in the TV folder on itunes so that Front Row see's it in the Front Row TV folder rather than the standard front row movie folder?

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Is there any way to have the ATV work without having a native computer with iTunes running? Minus syncing that is.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
Hi
Anyone know where to get some of the cool artwork for the TV shows i have seen in this thread?

There are a copule different places I get mine. You can use the DVD box cover if that particular season is on DVD. I also use wikipedia alot as people tend to upload the title screen and those look pretty cool sometimes. Otherwise I just do a google image search and use the best looking one that comes up. My method doesnt guarantee you the official logo/art of the show, but they do look good.

Croatian

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I for one have found a great source for downloading 720p (and even some 1080p) .mkv files of feature length films (only ones I own already of course). So, no ripping necessary on my end. Many people make these available on the internet (not the Web, mind you). There is a slight learning curve, but this method of internet file transfer pre-dates the World Wide Web by at least a decade or more. A little digging and I'm sure what yoU SeEk caN bE obTained. :p

Say u download a file online somewhere, example torrent or what not, when it is 720p, how long does it take u to convert it to apple tv format to be playable on it or u don't have to convert it, you can just play it in the format that it comes in, i don't understand the format that the HD Movies or Shows are in and how that works for Apple TV

billabong

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2004
Hi
Anyone know where to get some of the cool artwork for the TV shows i have seen in this thread?

If the show is in iTunes, get it from there...

Here is how.

1. Browse in iTunes to the desired show and RIGHT-CLICK copy iTunes URL
(http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewTVSeason?id=192599752&s=143441) looks like that
2. Go to this site here http://tpemble.urfbownd.net/itunes/itunes-art.php
3. Paste your iTunes URL in there and click SUBMIT
4. your get a link like this http://a1.phobos.apple.com/r10/Features/c2/27/b7/dj.jvzokecp.170x170-75.jpg
5. Delete the 170x170-75. part of it
and you get this
dj.jvzokecp.jpg

Vanilla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2002
Atlanta, GA
For the guys who use the AppleTV preset in Handbrake - assuming you have an iPod/iPhone/Touch - do you have duplicates using the iPod High-Res preset as well? If so, how do you distinguish them in iTunes?
Vanilla

fkntotalkaos

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2007
exactly what i want

These aren't from DVD rips they are 720P HD from a Bluray or HD-DVD rip converted to AppleTV format with Visual Hub... The quality is amazing, better than HD channels on TV...
What format are the Apple TV movies in, .avi, mp4, mv4? I have a lot of low res movies but want to upgrade to 720p format with ac3

xJus10x

macrumors regular
May 10, 2004
Hows is the quality of your guys videos. The only thing stopping me from doing this is idk how good they'll look on my HD tv. Thanks

pavloskgr

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2006
I love coverflow and my Apple TV

I like my itunes library and my apple tv, at least it works great for me!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    568.2 KB · Views: 594

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
is there something like metax but for TV shows? I want to add the description and show names to each of the TV shows I have but without having to do them individually. Anything like that out there or am I missing something in metax?

MikieMikie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Newton, MA
Hey there:

I'm considering purchasing an atv soon. But, here's a question. I just bought Hairspray today and I can't get it to copy onto my HDD from mactheripper OR handbrake. ImPOSSible. I also have Star Wars III that I have difficulty with also.

So, is it possible....to rip the dvds on a PC...then converting to appletv format through handbrake? Has anyone done this?

I have had no problem ripping my copy of Star Wars III. (Don't own Hairspray.)

I find the dvd MUST be clean. Some rips fail with MTR 3 R14 but succeed with the previous version. V 3.0 R14 has problems ripping "feature only." Try ripping the whole dvd, then let Handbrake figure out what to encode.

I have yet to find a DVD that one of the two, most-recent, versions of MTR couldn't handle. Including Ratatouille.

-- Mikie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.