Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonySwartz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
I've set up Gmail according to their instructions, enabled IMAP on my account, etc etc - almost every time I ask it to check for mail, I get:

"Cannot Get Mail
The connection to the server "(null)" failed."

A couple times a day it will pull mail correctly, but most of the time I get this message. It's also done weird things like when I type a new message (either on the iPhone OR in Mail), it "sends" but then is nonexistent in my sent box on the phone/Mail and in Gmail. The message never actually sends...but I get a message saying it sent.

Is anyone else having weird problems like this? Any solutions?

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
I've set up Gmail according to their instructions, enabled IMAP on my account, etc etc - almost every time I ask it to check for mail, I get:

"Cannot Get Mail
The connection to the server "(null)" failed."

A couple times a day it will pull mail correctly, but most of the time I get this message. It's also done weird things like when I type a new message (either on the iPhone OR in Mail), it "sends" but then is nonexistent in my sent box on the phone/Mail and in Gmail. The message never actually sends...but I get a message saying it sent.

Is anyone else having weird problems like this? Any solutions?
These are the settings for Gmail on my iPhone, and they work perfectly:
Incoming Server: imap.gmail.com
User Name:******@gmail.com
Password: ********

Outgoing Server: smtp.gmail.com
User Name: *******@gmail.com
Password: ********

Then, under the advanced settings:

Incoming Settings
Use SSL: ON
Authentication: Password
Server Port: 993

Outgoing Settings
Use SSL: ON
Authentication: Password
Server Port: 587

Hope this helps. :)

TonySwartz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Interesting...my settings are identical.

For what it's worth, I just deleted the account, changed my password with Google (it was pretty short - back before the required a certain number of characters), and it works fine. Could have been the password length...?

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
I've been having tons of issues, really pissing me off. Now all of a sudden, none of my email accounts work. Not receiving or sending, ugh...

bostonte

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Interesting...my settings are identical.

For what it's worth, I just deleted the account, changed my password with Google (it was pretty short - back before the required a certain number of characters), and it works fine. Could have been the password length...?

One of my old accounts wasn't working either (same symptoms). It also had a very short password from when they didnt force longer. I just reset the password like you did, and its working just fine like
y primary gmail on iPhone IMAP has for weeks.

Strange, but thanks for the suggesstion. Seemed to do the trick.

Antitorque

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2007
Gmail Freezes iPhone

I have forwarded my 3 POP accounts to one Gmail on the iPhone. Messages come superquick and no reloading of images or pdfs everytime. The only problem is the phone freezes most everytime after navigating through my account.

toroxo

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2008
I was having the same problem

This was happening to me since yesterday. I finally just turned my phone off, turned it back on and it's working fine.

In addition to finally getting my email, I also got a bunch of voicemails and text messages that hadn't come through.

I'd suggest just turning the phone off and back on before resorting to deleting your account and then having to set it up again.

germ war

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2003
Saint Paul, MN
Both my Gmail and .Mac accounts do this frustrating thing where I will read the message, it will get marked as read on the Phone, but then a few minutes later, the Phone again shows that I have unread messages, but it's the same messages I already read. I suspect it is an issue with how the iPhone processes IMAP messages.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.