Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ayyitssdaveee

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2007
As my first post and a new iPhone user, I wanna say that this worked perfectly and thanks for posting it up! I'm looking forward to learning more about this phone.

My only question about this is, Once you have the ringtone on the iPhone, can you delete the fragmented songs from your music library? Will that delete it from the Ringtones category? It just seems odd to have two 30 second fragments under the comlplete song in your library. All help is appreciated.

--Dave

Resevdog

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
I've followed the instructions precisely. My ringtone appeared in itunes under the ringtones menu and plays through iTunes. It syncs to my iphone and shows up under ringtones in settings in the "custom" section. I select it and...nothing. If someone calls, the phone just vibrates. All the stock ringtones still work no problem. It plays in itunes but not on the phone....what's going on here? I've seen others with this problem, but no solutions. Any ideas? And yes, I'm using windows.

ayyitssdaveee

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2007
I answered my own question by the way... I just gave it a shot and deleted it from the library and it is still in the ringtones category and on the phone. Just letting anyone know who might have had the same question :)

bushman1

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
do you need a hacked 1.1.1 to do an ok to upgrade or just stock 1.1.2? just need to know to save some time.

jfmiii

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2007
ive got the file converted to .m4r and when i right click the file in Explorer, it shows as file type 'Ringtone.' I cant get it into the Ringtones library in iTunes though. anyone have any ideas on how i can get it to work?? thanks!

iSaint

macrumors 603
ive got the file converted to .m4r and when i right click the file in Explorer, it shows as file type 'Ringtone.' I cant get it into the Ringtones library in iTunes though. anyone have any ideas on how i can get it to work?? thanks!

Did you try double-clicking on the file?

You may have to manually move it to the Ringtones folder under iTunes Music. That is, if iTunes for Windows is set up the same as it is for OS X.

newwavedave

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2004
Tampa, FL

Make sure you delete the .m4a file from iTunes if it is in there. You can't have 2 songs with same title. Also make sure you have the "Copy files to iTunes Music folder when adding..." function checked in the Preferences>Advanced. If not it wont copy your file into the ringtones folder.

Things are working great for me. I have personalized ringtones for all my friends now and thankfully I didn't have to re-buy all those songs that I already own just to get a ringtone. I'm happy until Apple decides to shut it off again...

riffat

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2007

Several users have noted that custom ringtone workarounds have started working again the latest version of iTunes and iPhone firmware 1.1.2. The most detailed descriptions were provided by:

overminer for Windows XP

and jkwuc89 for Mac OS X 10.5:

We don't know if Apple will take this method away again in the future. In the meanwhile, iPhoneRingToneMaker (Windows) and iToner (Mac) continue to function with the latest updates.

Article Link

YOu are a Genious!! now tell me.. i have IPHONE in outside USA and i can only use it if i unlock it.. i got it unlocked .. now what all do i have do so it doesnt get locked again?? and can i use the "installer" that i have on the phone? to add games and stuff?? or not?

budman2345

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2007
Hey guys! Newbie here in the forums....just a quick question.....I've followed the instructions and have made 2 ringtones....successfully....now when I try to sync both to my phone it only copies one of them twice. I have 2 copies the same ringtone in my custom folder. If I just select one or the other they are there but if I try to sync both, it just has 2 copies of the same song. Any help would be awesome!!! Thanks!

riffat

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2007
I am using windows and the extension is .m4a not .mpa does anyone know why?

same here, i did everything but when i tried to lync it with iphone i kept getting an error saying that those ringtones were not copied on to the iphone because they cant be played in the Iphone....

what do i do??

what am i doing wrong?

MorzillA

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Miami
Xp + iTUNES - Audacity = ringtones YAY!!!

Ok! A) I have been not posted anything for a long time...sorry for that. B) following the XP instructions without using AUDACITY I have been able to create a ringtone for a friend of mine!

Here it is, hope it works for all of you who use Xp....btw, Xp users, you need to redeem your souls and get a Mac!!

1) create a new folder in your iTUNES folder under
\my documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music name this new folder ringtones.

2) Now choose ANY song (MP3) from your PC or just incert a cd into your computer.

3) open iTUNES, now select the song that you want as a ringtone.

4) Right click on that song, and select get info. On that new menu click on options

5) In the middle of the options window you will notice the start time and the stop time.
In these two boxes you will put the time you want your ringtone to start at and the stop time i.e. 2:25.45 start 2:30.45 end. For this I recomend the following, (this is rather old school by some standards :))

-First you will need a pen, pencil, lipgloss, eyeliner, blood, anything that writes and paper....yes any kind of paper even Toilet paper!!

-Listen to the song from start to finish in iTUNES or Quicktime what ever gets you off! PAY CLOSE ATTENTION to the time that appears at the end of the progress bar on your player!

-As you come to the point of the song that you want as a ringtone write down the the starting time and ending time i.e. 2:25.45-2:30.45

6) Write down the starting and ending time on such said windows start time, stop time

7) Press the OK button.

8) Right click on the song again and this time you will convert it to ACC

-IF you see Convert Seletction to MP3 then you are going to have to change this so that it will look like this Convert Seletction to ACC

A) Under EDIT on the menu bar of iTUNES look for preferences Ctr +, click on it and look for the Advance tab

B) Once in there you will see three sub tabs general, importing, burning. We will click on importing

C) under Import using: [___________][v] you will select ACC Encoder, click the OK button.

9)OK now we are going to convert our lil pre-ringtone into a ACC song by doing step number 8).

10) After the song has been converted it will appear above the original song with the new time i.e. 0:05

11)Click, hold and drag the song from iTUNES onto your ringtones folder that you created \my documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\rigntones. You will then notice that the format of the song is not MP3 nor ACC but m4a.

12)Here we will right click on the song and rename it. Let's say the song is from ohhhh I dunno, Watermelon Nights by John Crave it will look like this Watermelon Nights.m4a on your folder we will rename the format/extesnion from .m4a to .m4r yep that's all, change the A to an R.

-Notice the icon changed :)

13) Double click on the song and it will automatically appear in iTUNES under the ringtone section!! YAY!!!

14) Sync your iPHONE to your PC(Xp) and transfer the new ringtone.

And there you have it! Yes, yes, yes "it's too long man!!!" i know but if I gave you a rather short version you would have bricked your iPHONE and tried to commit suicide, and who wants to walk in and see you "hanging around" rather dull, dontya think?!

Good luck and remember, it's not too late to redeem your souls! get a MAC.....like NOW!!!

:apple:

MorzillA

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
Miami
iPhone Ringtones, the More things Change...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/351495/

There and Back Again
It's so easy not to try,
See the world go drifting by.
You don't have to say hello...
If you never say goodby
e.

If its in Garageband now... I'd say the "battle" is OVER.
I do like how custom ringtones appear in their own area now though.

~ CB

.................!? wait are you saying that there is a possibility for customizing ringtones in Garageband :eek:!?

Oh and one thing I forgot to mention was the hidden files part, by now you should all have figured it out, If it wasn't for my friend txting my over the weekend i would have never remembered that I left that out in my instructions!! Sorry guys :(

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT

same here, i did everything but when i tried to lync it with iphone i kept getting an error saying that those ringtones were not copied on to the iphone because they cant be played in the Iphone....

what do i do??

what am i doing wrong?

For both of you...I would check the length of your clips. If you are using Audacity and in some other programs you may have to clip it to 28 sec or less for it to do the trasfer after conversion. With GB this is not an issue for 40 secs or less. Only using windows and one of the above has this problem been noted...so again...shorten your tone and try to drag and drop into the iTunes Ringtone Folder. It should work.

Good Luck

wineshop

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2007
Thanks. Worked like a champ. Now before I sync - maybe this is a dumb question - this won't brick my iPhone if I ever update (whenever 1.1.3 comes out)?

Thanks. I'm new to this site, but I'm really liking it!

Dakotafan

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Ok! A) I have been not posted anything for a long time...sorry for that. B) following the XP instructions without using AUDACITY I have been able to create a ringtone for a friend of mine!

Here it is, hope it works for all of you who use Xp....btw, Xp users, you need to redeem your souls and get a Mac!!

2) Now choose ANY song (MP3) from your PC or just incert a cd into your computer.

4) Right click on that song, and select get info. On that new menu click on options

5) In the middle of the options window you will notice the start time and the stop time.
In these two boxes you will put the time you want your ringtone to start at and the stop time i.e. 2:25.45 start 2:30.45 end. For this I recomend the following, (this is rather old school by some standards :))

-First you will need a pen, pencil, lipgloss, eyeliner, blood, anything that writes and paper....yes any kind of paper even Toilet paper!!

-Listen to the song from start to finish in iTUNES or Quicktime what ever gets you off! PAY CLOSE ATTENTION to the time that appears at the end of the progress bar on your player!

-As you come to the point of the song that you want as a ringtone write down the the starting time and ending time i.e. 2:25.45-2:30.45

6) Write down the starting and ending time on such said windows start time, stop time

7) Press the OK button.

-IF you see Convert Seletction to MP3 then you are going to have to change this so that it will look like this Convert Seletction to ACC

A) Under EDIT on the menu bar of iTUNES look for preferences Ctr +, click on it and look for the Advance tab

B) Once in there you will see three sub tabs general, importing, burning. We will click on importing

C) under Import using: [___________][v] you will select ACC Encoder, click the OK button.

9)OK now we are going to convert our lil pre-ringtone into a ACC song by doing step number 8).

10) After the song has been converted it will appear above the original song with the new time i.e. 0:05

11)Click, hold and drag the song from iTUNES onto your ringtones folder that you created \my documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\rigntones. You will then notice that the format of the song is not MP3 nor ACC but m4a.

12)Here we will right click on the song and rename it. Let's say the song is from ohhhh I dunno, Watermelon Nights by John Crave it will look like this Watermelon Nights.m4a on your folder we will rename the format/extesnion from .m4a to .m4r yep that's all, change the A to an R.

13) Double click on the song and it will automatically appear in iTUNES under the ringtone section!! YAY!!!

And there you have it! Yes, yes, yes "it's too long man!!!" i know but if I gave you a rather short version you would have bricked your iPHONE and tried to commit suicide, and who wants to walk in and see you "hanging around" rather dull, dontya think?!

Good luck and remember, it's not too late to redeem your souls! get a MAC.....like NOW!!!

worked perfectly - thanks!

Jamie814b

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2007
hi, i have a quick question about the custom ring tones. I followed the exact instructions, even got the ring tone that is 30 seconds onto my phone and it says custom ring tones. The ring tone is even selected as default ring tone, but whenever i recieve a call it goes back to the stock ring tone, even though the one i selected says it's default on my phone. Has anyone had this problem? I am using firmware 1.1.2 and using firmware 7.5.020.

Kenny Wuuu

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
Help

7) Press the OK button.

Thanks I followed these instructions and the song is 26 seconds long and it is in the ringtones section in itunes. I can select it and send it to the iphone but it doesnt show up anywhere on my iphone. I have windows xp, itunes 7.5.0.20 and iphone 1.1.2. I have a purchased ringtone and I know where to look. Could someone please help me. Thanks!

pbkiller

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2007
Puerto Rico
I've looked everywhere else in the forum, and i cant find info about it, so here it goes:

I have found on the net the ringtone for the iphone ad (perfect timing), has anyone found the ringtone for the Hello im a mac vs pc ad? its really funny so i was wondering if anyone had that ringtone....

Let me know guys

Rob

clueles710

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
Argg!!! Please Help!

I have done everything you said...step by step...and its not working!:confused:

I'm pretty good with comps too so its bothering me...and suggestions?? anything that you think that I am missing?? i made every preference that you guys said...

i get it to appear as a ringtone, (m4r) but it wont open in itunes...it wont even play... :mad:

please hellllppppp!! thank you!!

ohhhh PS..i have windows xp

Dakotafan

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Thanks I followed these instructions and the song is 26 seconds long and it is in the ringtones section in itunes. I can select it and send it to the iphone but it doesnt show up anywhere on my iphone. I have windows xp, itunes 7.5.0.20 and iphone 1.1.2. I have a purchased ringtone and I know where to look. Could someone please help me. Thanks!

on iPhone

settings-> sounds-> select ringtone

also make sure you since afterwards.

Kenny Wuuu

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
Sorry about the mixed message Dakotafan. I know where to look on the iPhone. It just doesn't show up on my iPhone. Trust me I've looked everywhere. The ringtone plays in iTunes and it looks the same as my 3 other purchased ringtones. I didn't have any errors when I connected my iPhone.

cjjones

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2007
Kent UK
Ok Guyz, neebie here, Ive just been trawling through these forum topics and having tried the rename to m4r got the file into the ringtones folder in iTunes.
However no amount of re-syncing, re-setting, closing iTunes etc would cause the "custom" field appear in my phone.

As it it happens I returned my iPhone to the O2 store and got an exchange for an unrelated issue. When I re-activated, restored and re-synced lo and behold, the custom feild with my new ringtone appeared at the top of the list in "sounds - Ringtone".

I can only summise that either there were other problems with my iPone or that performing an "erase all content and settings" then restore backup etc would fix the problem.

Just a thought!

Anyway thanks for all the posts that helped me get this sorted, and for saving me the cost of buying a macbook and iLife 08.

Ps. anyone heard anything about a new ultra slim Macbook?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.