Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dewey decibel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Or both?

Just wondering what people's preferences are. Right now I'm leaning toward a bag- I'm thinking of I guess what's called a messenger style bag. I guess the plus with a sleeve is that you could then throw your laptop in any bag? Otherwise the sleeve's not really making much sense to me.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I use a sleeve and a bag. The sleeve usually stays in the bag and adds extra protection. I can take it out when I take the laptop over to someone's house without the bag.

- James

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
I use a sleeve and a bag, the sleeve fits into the bag, but I can also just use the sleeve alone of I don't want to carry the whole bag around. Both the sleeve and bag are by Tom Bihn

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
I use a sleeve and a bag, the sleeve fits into the bag, but I can also just use the sleeve alone of I don't want to carry the whole bag around. Both the sleeve and bag are by Tom Bihn

I used to use both with a speck plastic cover as well. It gt to be overkill and I realized with the speck on the machine is fine in a messenger bag...

maestro55

macrumors 68030
Nov 13, 2005
Goat Farm in Meridian, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

I use only a bag right now but I am thinking about getting the sleeve for extra protection for my MacBook.

VOGUEx

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2007
i use a sleeve cuz i just put the laptop in my backpack if i need to travel. i cannot drag a messenger bag around..plus i think its ugly. plus i think my sleeve gives my macbook a more personal protection since it seals it in..not sure what kinda cushioning the messenger bag has..

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
Just a bag; inside the bag itself there is a divider where I can place the laptop, it keeps it protected from the other things I put in there.

ivan1234

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2007
i prefer sleeves because that allows for use in any bag whereas a laptop bag is severly limiting.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
A sleeve casn be used in most any bag, and therefore does not scream "laptop inside -- steal me!". So, sleeve for me and any bag that I feel comfortable carrying at the time -- even a standard canvas tote!

lost eden

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2007
UK
I use a sleeve because it means I can then use any bag I want without having to pay a premium for a 'laptop' bag & without being limited to a the often awful styles of laptop bags. I use a Be-ez La Robe sleeve which live permanently in my Visconit leather messenger bag.

dewey decibel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
Thanks for the replies. The idea of a sleeve inside a plain bag appeals to me. The only issue is I'm worried the sleeve (such as the InCase) won't supply enough protection, and I don't really have a plain bag anyway. There is the Brenthaven Edge which looks very durable, but it's also not really a sleeve and maybe a bit too bulky to put inside another bag.

Howdy...

I like bags and sleeves for different purposes..

Here's a podcast I made about MacBook Pro sleeves and bags:

http://www.neo-fight.tv/2007/06/episode_169_lots_of_macbook_ba.html

Best,

Ben
---------------------------------------------------------
neo-fight.tv - {The Weekly Technology Podcast}

Thanks, nice job. I think I spent more time looking at your co-host than the bags, though...

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
I would say get a sleeve, you can get a great one for pretty cheap, and they can fit into any bag you already have. I recommend the Brenthaven Eclipse Sleeve ($39) and offers a hell of a lot of protection for a sleeve, and works great as a standalone case if you do not feel like carrying a bag (has a retractable handle).

dewey decibel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
So I went to the Apple Store, Best Buy and an Office Max to have a look. I have to say, I was really unimpressed with the InCase Sleeve which was a front runner in my mind. It really seemed like it doesn't offer much protection, only scatch protection really. Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning on dropping my Macbook anytime soon, but I'm more worried about compression protection. If I'm travelling I want to be able to put it in a overhead or in a car with other gear and not worry too much about it.

Most of the messenger bags didn't impress me either (Swiss Gear, Targus, etc). The Apple Store really didn't have much, but they did have a Brenthaven Metro Lite, and I have to say it was the only thing I saw all day that I felt would offer any protection besides a couple hardshells I saw at Office Max. They didn't have the Brenthaven Edge, which is one I'd like to look at. If it's small enough it could double as a bag and a sleeve, but I have a feeling it isn't.

Thanks for the thoughts- I'm still on the fence about a sleeve or a bag. Ideally I'd do both, but I already dropped most my cash on buying my Macbook. And when it comes to one or the other I think I'm leaning bag right now.

DaveTurnbull

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
I bought an STM Sleeve, but I'll be getting a bag as well soon (also from STM - they rock). Twice the protection. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.