Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hi there,

I have a 13" macbook and my magsafe power adaptor all of a sudden stopped working last night. The light wouldn't light up. When I grabbed it to look at it, I saw that there was a small tear where the adaptor meets the cord. I really don't put the adaptor under much strain - I travel with my work PC, not my mac, so it doesn't even get stressed beyond the confines of my bedroom - i know i didn't rip this or anything. Do I need to buy another adaptor or if I take my "still in warranty" macbook to the store, will they replace the adaptor? Thanks!

-Kevin

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Technically, if it's due to accidental damage or rough treatment, it wouldn't be covered, but if it's a defect, it would be covered.

That said, there have been enough complaints about the design of the power adapter that you shouldn't have a ton of trouble getting them to replace it for you free of charge.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
The adapter is defective, and a known fire hazard. Replacing it is the least they could do (which is precisely why they'll do it).

craigverse

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2006
Reno, NV
They will replace it. It's a faulty design. I had my 17inch macbook pro adapter replaced 3 times. Finely I taped the end so it couldn't move and fray like it does. Good luck!

skyrider007

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2007
Bangkok
I have had my adapter replaced twice in six months. I must say it is one of the worst designed Apple products. My 3 year old VAIO adapter is much more rugged and durable. Who needs a white useless plastic brick when it just doesn't work. I'd rather have a conventional laptop adapter for my MBP rather than this industrial design piece of art that breaks every other month.

Ranting aside, yes it is covered under warranty. Return it and get a replacement.

worldwearyeyes

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2005
I was at the Genius bar the other day, and the person next to me brought their charger in because it "ripped". The genius said this wasn't really covered because it appeared to be due to user wear, but he went ahead and replaced it "because he was a nice guy." so take your chances and have a genius take a look.

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
mine burnt, started ommiting an oder(thats how i knew what happened) and is completely charded through the cord... im not even under applecare but they are sending me a new one.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I was at the Genius bar the other day, and the person next to me brought their charger in because it "ripped". The genius said this wasn't really covered because it appeared to be due to user wear, but he went ahead and replaced it "because he was a nice guy." so take your chances and have a genius take a look.

Good old Apple Store arrogance :^)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.