Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

westernmass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Western Mass.
First post :) I got the iphone for xmas from the wife :) I was in shock as it was out of the blue. Anyway, been enjoying this forum and a few others. One thing I wanted to pass on that I found interesting today that I have not seen anywhere else. Actually I was going crazy and even chatted with AT&T to figure out what was up with it. My wife and a friend noticed when I called they got "private caller" or "Blocked number" when I called them. The At&T person could not figure it out. I went to AT&T site and searched Caller ID and found some other phone had setting to turn it on or off. HMMM.. I quick check of the settings and sure enough there is a setting that you can turn on or off your id when calling someone. Go to Settings, Phone (scroll down a little) - Show My Caller ID. You can turn it on or off. Turn it on and it shows the person you call the ID, turn it off and you get the caller blocked or Private number.

So my helpful hint and first post all in one. Hope it helps someone. It would have helped me while looking for it :)

Great bunch of people here by the way. Look forward to learning more and more about the phone.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
It's a fairly common feature for a phone to have these days, for when you want to call the girl you're stalking. (;

Welcome to the forums, westernmass!

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
you can also leave the show caller ID setting on and *selectively* not show your caller ID by dialing *67 before the full phone number of the person you're calling. i prefer this method since my husband and most of my friends would never answer the phone if they didn't see my caller ID come up if i left that setting off...

enjoy your iphone and welcome! :)

porg1969

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2007
San Francisco
you can also leave the show caller ID setting on and *selectively* not show your caller ID by dialing *67 before the full phone number of the person you're calling. i prefer this method since my husband and most of my friends would never answer the phone if they didn't see my caller ID come up if i left that setting off...

enjoy your iphone and welcome! :)

isn't it *68?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
hmm...

You people are way too paranoid. I never, EVER answer blocked or private calls and it infuriates me when people call that have them.

You're calling ME, should you let me know who you ARE?

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
You people are way too paranoid. I never, EVER answer blocked or private calls and it infuriates me when people call that have them.

You're calling ME, should you let me know who you ARE?

paranoid? YES! :D trust no one! i never answer blocked/private calls either.

my pet peeve is when someone calls you and then asks who you are! that is the quickest route to getting hung up on in my book.

Barry Scott

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2007
The GSM standard for selectively blocked your number on one call is #31#
I know this certainly works for me on O2 in the UK.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO

my pet peeve is when someone calls you and then asks who you are! that is the quickest route to getting hung up on in my book.

...followed closely in my book by calling me and then immediately asking if I can hold. Grrrrrr...

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007

That's one of my biggest pet peeves as well. Ring. "Hello?" "Who is this?"

Yeah, right. I handle it this way.

"No, I don't think you get how this works. You called me. If you don't know who I am why should I tell you?"

sucafrutpi

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2003
New London, CT
thanks westernmass. i just got a new iphone and was having the same problem. don't know how it got turned on, but it was driving all my friends crazy.

claidheamdanns

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
Memphis, TN
You people are way too paranoid. I never, EVER answer blocked or private calls and it infuriates me when people call that have them

Exactly, same here. I am also on the "Do Not Call" list for that same reason. I didn't buy my phone, and pay for minutes, for you to call and advertise to me.

wateron

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Apparently not with Verizon

Have a Verizon iphone - under Settings, Phone, there is nothing for Caller ID or Call Forwarding. I guess that is an ATT only setting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.