Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpod89

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
I've searched and found a 1-page topic on it, but it wasn't really that great of an explanation.

Can I use glass cleaners like Windex to clean the screen? Any special techniques or tips? Things I should watch out for?

I have a somewhat OCD problem that requires me to keep all my tech gear in the condition it was out-of-the-box for as long as humanly possible =(

Thanks ahead of time!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I use Windex on normal LCDs and haven't ever had any issues. I imagine it'll be absolutely fine on the glass iMac screens too. I spray the Windex onto a cloth rather than directly onto the screen, though.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Well, since the manual for my iMac specifically says to dampen the cloth that came with it (or a clean, soft, lint-free cloth) with "water only" that's exactly what I do. It cleans it perfectly. Yes, the display is glass so I don't see how a glass cleaner might damage it in any way so long as you don't spray directly on the display.

For me personally, since water only does the trick and that's what Apple recommends I am not going to use anything else.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
It's glass. The LCD is beneath the glass. What's the difference. Clean it how you want just don't get water under like I did with tap water and the microfiber cloth given with the computer. (Not sure how it happened but I bought some Air Dusters, Suction Cups, and a Monster ScreenClean Display Cleaning Kit.

I should get them around Tuesday to clean the residue dried minerals on the inside of the glass at the very top. The duster is so I don't go crazy by having some dust under the glass.

JohanCruyff

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2007
Italy
Same problem here.
I can't put it in my 24" Alu iMac in my washing machine. :(

Attachments

• LAVATRICE%20REX%20RWN%2012480W.jpg
    LAVATRICE%20REX%20RWN%2012480W.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 222

Gunga Din

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Old Trafford
I think i've read windex can cause problems if your glass has anit-glare or reflective stuff on it.

Your suppose to use a damp lint free cloth. No paper towels because they can scratch glass.

Chris204

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2008
From what I've heard, Windex leaves smudges and causes a light haze on the screen. I picked up some LCD cleaner at Staples for $9.99.

I also can't stress enough to people NOT to use cotton towels to wipe their screens. Just like on a car's clearcoat, cotton leaves thousands of little hairline scratches. I only use microfibre cloths.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
I use Windex on normal LCDs and haven't ever had any issues. I imagine it'll be absolutely fine on the glass iMac screens too. I spray the Windex onto a cloth rather than directly onto the screen, though.
Oh good god. NO ONE TAKE THIS ADVICE. USE A LIGHTLY DAMP MICROFIBER CLOTH, THAT IS IT. The things come with a microfiber for a reason, and no it's not a mousepad.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
I think i've read windex can cause problems if your glass has anit-glare or reflective stuff on it.

Your suppose to use a damp lint free cloth. No paper towels because they can scratch glass.
Paper is not going to scratch glass. How often do you put newspaper/magazines on a glass coffee table. Use your brain.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
For the first time since my iMac was new it is now clean thanks to the Monster ScreenClean.

It is alcohol free, so I don't see what anyone is worrying about. The best part is the large microfiber cloth they give you to use. Great reviews on amazon.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Boo!

I give  a -100 on this one.

So I took my  cloth to the bathroom, and dampened it with the water from the sink. Went back into my bedroom, and wiped my screen with the DAMP  cloth. It left water droplets ALL OVER THE GLASS!!! How annoying.

So I wiped it with my shirt, dried up the  cloth, and spent 15 minutes, scratching the screen with the  cloth to get the water droplet marks (I already dried it with my shirt) off of it. All is well until...

I have a light next to my imac, shines right onto the screen, I don't notice the glare, but when i turn off the imac display, there are smudges ALL OVER IT. and the light is shining right on the smudges. I spent countless hours trying to get the smudges of with the  cloth, didn't work. Whenever I though i was successful, If I look at the imac screen from a different view, the smudges appear again, they are there no matter what, they won't come off. And they are visible when the display is switched off, when the imac looks the sexiest:D

Any thoughts?

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan

So I took my  cloth to the bathroom, and dampened it with the water from the sink. Went back into my bedroom, and wiped my screen with the DAMP  cloth. It left water droplets ALL OVER THE GLASS!!! How annoying.

So I wiped it with my shirt, dried up the  cloth, and spent 15 minutes, scratching the screen with the  cloth to get the water droplet marks (I already dried it with my shirt) off of it. All is well until...

I have a light next to my imac, shines right onto the screen, I don't notice the glare, but when i turn off the imac display, there are smudges ALL OVER IT. and the light is shining right on the smudges. I spent countless hours trying to get the smudges of with the  cloth, didn't work. Whenever I though i was successful, If I look at the imac screen from a different view, the smudges appear again, they are there no matter what, they won't come off. And they are visible when the display is switched off, when the imac looks the sexiest:D

Any thoughts?

Minerals give you a dried residue. You need to use deionized/distilled water.

I use Monster ScreenClean and the MicroFiber cloth that it came with. Works on all my electronic devices with screens.

The cloth they give you is terrible. It gives you hundreds of little fibers all over the screen. The cleaner itself is good though.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan

You obviously put too much water. There should not be enough to leave drops, thus "dampen" is the idea.

Mistake number 2 (and the biggest one): You should never wipe the glass with anything other than the microfiber cloth. That is how you end up with streaks and, depending on the material of what you are using to wipe, even scratches on the glass surface.

You should have dried the microfiber cloth sufficiently so that it could be used for the drying.

I apply a very small amount of water to one corner of the Apple cloth and then gently wipe the screen with it. Then I immediately clean the screen with the dry parts.

Any thoughts?

I have one but I don't think you are going to like it. :(

It sounds to me like your shirt has scratched the glass panel. I was going to suggest you repeat the cleaning process as I outlined above and that should have done the job. That the "smudges" persist is not heartening.

Maybe you should take it by an Apple Store. Even if you crack a 24" glass panel they aren't as expensive as one might think. Someone in another thread who had his glass panel replaced recently in a London Apple Store mentioned that it only cost him $36:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/4893193/

If it is just smudges and not anything physically wrong with the panel you should be able to clean it with just water and the microfiber. You didn't use anything other than water, right?? No Windex, etc

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.