Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

equis.zero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
Ontario, Canada
So I was setting up my new Mac Pro today, I installed 64-bit Vista because I have it configured with 6gb of ram and would like to be able to use all of it. I was planning to just hunt around for drivers as everyone else seems to from what I've read, but I noticed that on the restore disks under Drivers\Apple\, there was a file called BootCamp64.exe, so I decided to run it, and now everything works perfectly, keyboard, bluetooth, everything. Strangely there were also Windows drivers for the multi-touch trackpad in the MacBook Air. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this on all Leopard disks?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
So I was setting up my new Mac Pro today, I installed 64-bit Vista because I have it configured with 6gb of ram and would like to be able to use all of it. I was planning to just hunt around for drivers as everyone else seems to from what I've read, but I noticed that on the restore disks under Drivers\Apple\, there was a file called BootCamp64.exe, so I decided to run it, and now everything works perfectly, keyboard, bluetooth, everything. Strangely there were also Windows drivers for the multi-touch trackpad in the MacBook Air. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this on all Leopard disks?

really? When did you buy the disk? I can't believe no one found that little tidbit about the Air before. Nice finds.

SolrFlare

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
They are the install disks from his new Mac Pro. Which means either:

A) it's 10.5.1 and a 1/2 like some people think they have done to get at least the standard Mac Pro's out the door until 10.5.2

or

B) It's fake. Anyone else with a Mac Pro want to check their discs and see if the above mentioned files are located there as well?

That would be awesome if we did, in fact, have unofficial(or maybe official with 10.5.2) 64 bit Vista support so we could actually make use of all the extra ram.

ChemiosMurphy

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Warminster, PA
Wow. this would be absolutely amazing if in fact this is true. Someone needs to pop their discs into a pc to try this out.....

This is exciting since you could now have Windowz see more than 2 gigs of Ram...

cokersa

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2007
Kansas City
I looked at my Leopard disk ("Mac OS X V10.5 Retail") that I used to upgrade from Tiger. No such file found, but not surprising since it is the 10.5.0 version.

I've been running Vista Ultimate 64-bit without using bootcamp for nearly a year now. The main issue is having to change the clock each time I boot back into Vista, and the fact there are no bluetooth drivers for my wireless Apple keyboard/mouse (so I've been using a wired USB keyboard and a wireless MS mouse). It would be great if Apple is really going to support 64 bit, but I'm not holding my breath.

knome

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2006
I really hope it comes soon, my network card keeps crapping out on me. I have to disconnect and reconnect every few minutes because it just stops functioning.

Trekkie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2002
Wake Forest, NC
Why is it the newbies with little/no posts always post things like this? Anyone else able to confirm with a new mac?

My brother bought XP 64 bit on accident when he got his a year ago. Would be awesome if they have it. I'm going to pick up a new Macbook Air or Pro after tax refund gets here to update the wifes 3 year old laptop. Hopefully can find out then.

knome

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2006
Sounds like an unrelated release. 10.5.1 did not modify the drivers under the bootcamp assistant. They are still labeled "created July 31st, 2007." What is interesting is that the drivers that came with the leopard disk say created October 8, 2007

exspes

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
Sounds like an unrelated release. 10.5.1 did not modify the drivers under the bootcamp assistant. They are still labeled "created July 31st, 2007." What is interesting is that the drivers that came with the leopard disk say created October 8, 2007

I'm sure there are MacPro owners here who can look at their recovery discs and easily confirm or deny this story. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

hc10m

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
I finally found the proof of 64-bit support......

I just got my Mac Pro last week and installed XP via Boot Camp today, I just followed the Print Installation and Setup Guide from Boot Camp Assistant. Everybody take a look at Page 4, the message said:

Important: You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc (Service Pack 2 is required for Windows XP installations). Do not use an upgrade version of Windows and do not install an earlier version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to SP2 or later. Use only 32-bit versions of Windows. If you have a Mac Pro introduced in late 2007 or later, you can use a 64-bit version of Windows Vista.

Hope that clarify everyone's mind, this is my first time posting in this board, got the basic 2.8 Mac Pro and ordered 2 ATI 2600xt more, I have to use 6 displays for my Finance business, may add to 8 in the future. This is the most powerful computer I ever had in my entire life.....(still remembered the old day getting the AppleIIe twenty five years ago)....let's enjoy this incredible "Beast" till the end of world...lol

exspes

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
I just got my Mac Pro last week and installed XP via Boot Camp today, I just followed the Print Installation and Setup Guide from Boot Camp Assistant. Everybody take a look at Page 4, the message said:

Important: You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc (Service Pack 2 is required for Windows XP installations). Do not use an upgrade version of Windows and do not install an earlier version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to SP2 or later. Use only 32-bit versions of Windows. If you have a Mac Pro introduced in late 2007 or later, you can use a 64-bit version of Windows Vista.

Hope that clarify everyone's mind, this is my first time posting in this board, got the basic 2.8 Mac Pro and ordered 2 ATI 2600xt more, I have to use 6 displays for my Finance business, may add to 8 in the future. This is the most powerful computer I ever had in my entire life.....(still remembered the old day getting the AppleIIe twenty five years ago)....let's enjoy this incredible "Beast" till the end of world...lol

Nice! Funny how this was in the manual all along.

SolrFlare

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
Excellent! Guess I'll be ordering my copy of Vista Ultimate 64bit then. As limited as Apple's Support is for 64bit windows OS's, it makes sense they would start supporting it at least on the Mac Pro as that's the one platform where it is really necessary.

Seb D Photo

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2008
Does one need to own the New Mac Pro Restore DVD for this to work?

Is this file available on the Leopard Install DVD?

I cannot imagine this is available on the old Mac Pro Restore DVD...

hc10m

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2008
distinction between intel products

If you examined closely the last 2 years in transition stage, the Intel processors also in transition from coreduo(only support 32bits) to core2duo(supports 64bits extention). But I dont know about first generation 65nm Xeon architecture(probalby from coreduo? 32bits) versus this 45nmXeon, may be you have to go to Intel website to check for sure. Chances are that 1st generation Xeon should be based on coreduo 32bits as Intel still worked on 64bits codes two years ago alongside with Microsoft 64-bits Vista delay complicated things further. I am so lucky to have this new 45nm MacPro as all of the above transitions hardware(Intel) and software(Vista) already completed, that's why Apply have full 64bits drivers support in the included Restore CD in my New MacPro. Welcome everybody to the New Era of 64bits Multiprocessing Multithreaded Computer.......Enjoy.:)

ctishue

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2006
Would anyone with the new Bootcamp64.exe mind zipping it up and putting it on rapidshare or something equivalent? I 'd love to get keyboard support in vista 64 on my 2006 mac pro..

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
If you examined closely the last 2 years in transition stage, the Intel processors also in transition from coreduo(only support 32bits) to core2duo(supports 64bits extention). But I dont know about first generation 65nm Xeon architecture(probalby from coreduo? 32bits) versus this 45nmXeon, may be you have to go to Intel website to check for sure. Chances are that 1st generation Xeon should be based on coreduo 32bits as Intel still worked on 64bits codes two years ago alongside with Microsoft 64-bits Vista delay complicated things further. I am so lucky to have this new 45nm MacPro as all of the above transitions hardware(Intel) and software(Vista) already completed, that's why Apply have full 64bits drivers support in the included Restore CD in my New MacPro. Welcome everybody to the New Era of 64bits Multiprocessing Multithreaded Computer.......Enjoy.:)

All Xeons used in macs are 64bit, thus all Mac Pro's are 64bit.

ctishue

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2006
I'm uploading the drivers to Rapidshare right now, I'll post the link when it's done.

Thanks! Really appreciate it. Between this and the news that Nvidia is going to get a 2006/2007 compatible 8800 GT out, I'm a very happy Mac Pro owner this week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.