Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
I'm always using USB drives to move files to and fro from the corporate Windows network (IT teams: don't ask why :rolleyes:).

Anyway, I've always got Quark and CS3 files open and it's a right pain having to eject USB drives from the sidebar of an open Finder window... can I put something in the menu bar or dock that will eject Flash drives or is there an obscure keyboard shortcut I'm not aware of?

Thanks in advance.

L

Lau

Apple + E will eject it, but I'm not sure that's what you're after, because you have to select it on the desktop first, and I get the feeling you're looking for a all encompassing 'spew' command that'll eject anything that's connected.

I have definitely seen a menubar eject application in the post your menubar threads, but I'm not sure if it's for the optical drive only.

Um, sorry. That's not a very helpful post. :eek:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
I get the feeling you're looking for a all encompassing 'spew' command that'll eject anything that's connected.

Spew command; I like it. :D Apple E doesn't eject it unless it's selected which means trolling back to the desktop or a Finder window to select it... You can put an eject icon in the menubar but it only works on optical drives as far as I can tell.

I just want to eject my USB drives without interrupting my work. :(

Edit: Annk, you are a genius. The note at the bottom of that article is what I'm looking for. I'll try Ejector!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Got it installed, it runs as an app. Gotta have it as a startup item on login if you want it always there. Clicking on it in the menu bar brings up a pull-down menu which gives you a choice of drives to unmount... perfect. Thank you. :)

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
I mostly use CMD-E shortcut. It works even if you only have the flash drive window open.

The other way I eject such devices is by pressing the eject button in the Finder side bar.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I mostly use CMD-E shortcut. It works even if you only have the flash drive window open.

The other way I eject such devices is by pressing the eject button in the Finder side bar.

I think BV wants to be able to eject without having to have selected the drive / drive icon first, or having to open a Finder window.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004

That doesn't work if you've got your screen full of open Quark documents, Bridge and CS3 files open. I was looking for a one-step process rather than using Expose to get to a Finder window or the desktop, avoiding Finder all together.

kalium

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
Any new idea? (for 1-click USB drive eject)

Hi all,
Has anyone found a tip to achieve this? That's sadly one of the few operations where Window$ ergonomics is (slighty) better: Why can't it be possible to get the extrenal drive icon to appear in the dock with a way to eject it either through a command in a menu or evenby drag-and-droping it in the trash.

macmadness86

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2012
Free Solution, AppleScript + Spark

I have two scripts for you to do this:

1. Eject all
  2. Eject All Except CD/DVD

Edject All
Code:
tell application "Finder" to eject (every disk whose ejectable is true)
Eject All Except CD/DVD
Code:
tell application "Finder" to eject (disks where free space is not 0)

You can download Spark for free, which will allow you to assign a hot key or key combination to run AppleScripts. I have mine set to >COMMAND + E<, for example.
http://spark.en.softonic.com/mac

bayxsonic

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2011
I have two scripts for you to do this:

1. Eject all
  2. Eject All Except CD/DVD

Edject All
Code:
tell application "Finder" to eject (every disk whose ejectable is true)

That's great, thanks! I just saved that as an application and called it "jjj eject". Now I launch spotlight, type "jjj" end press enter. It's quick and requires no always-running apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.