Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
Thinking about getting an Apple TV for a friend's birthday. A couple of Qs:

1) How does it work with Vista?

2) Should I also get him an Airport Extreme? He currently has a "G" router. How does Airport Extreme work with Vista?

3) Where does Apple TV get its pictures from? MY Pictures folder or does he need to get that Adobe software? God I hope Apple TV would just use the MY Pictures folder?

Thanks!

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
While most of my machines are Mac's, my utility machine is an old dell running XP. I know your asking about Vista, but two cents is that the windows version of iTunes is essential the same as the Mac version (if not a bit more of a resource hog). The real question is weather or not your friend likes iTunes for organizing his media. Alot of windows user don't, so that could be a deal breaker.

As for the Airport extreme. It will work fine with Vista, but he will need to install an app on his machine to manage it. I recommend just getting a linksys or belkin with a web interface for a windows user.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
One more thing... the latest version of iTunes supports Vista 64 bit. in previous versions of iTunes 64 bit installs were an issue.

macleod199

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2007
As for the Airport extreme. It will work fine with Vista, but he will need to install an app on his machine to manage it. I recommend just getting a linksys or belkin with a web interface for a windows user.

I find the Apple app is way better than any web interface I've used for a router. The linksys web thing is pretty good, though. D-Link is awful.

jammyf

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2007
Sydney
Thinking about getting an Apple TV for a friend's birthday. A couple of Qs:

1) How does it work with Vista?

2) Should I also get him an Airport Extreme? He currently has a "G" router. How does Airport Extreme work with Vista?

3) Where does Apple TV get its pictures from? MY Pictures folder or does he need to get that Adobe software? God I hope Apple TV would just use the MY Pictures folder?

Thanks!

I have this exact setup, so I can say it works fine with Vista. I also have the Airport Extreme which is substantially faster than my previous G router.

As for photos, you tell the Apple TV which folder to sync from. My Pictures folder works fine.

Hope this helps

JPT

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
I'm assuming that the syncing is very similar to an iPod. Back when I used Windows it allowed me to select the folder of images I wanted to sync over to the iPod. And other than that it works essentially the same as the Mac version :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.