Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wee Beastie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
In the snow with Rosebud
I've been noticing a weird behavior in AI CS3. Say I open a new doc and specify the dimensions 500px by 500px and select the appropriate resolution for the project, my doc will open with crop area defined instead of an artboard. When I take a peek at the document setup it always reads 14400 x 14400 px even if the dimensions I define are not square. Basically each time I open a document I have to go back and fix the dimensions, etc. in the document setup window.

Anyone else noticing this? I did a quick search of the forum and didn't see any related posts. Thoughts, suggestions, harsh criticisms? Thanks!

wee

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
do you have your document settings set to "web" when you create a new document? I don't know why, but that is how their web setting works in CS3. I always set it to print, then change it to RGB if i'm doing web work. IT's easier that way.

-JE

Wee Beastie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
In the snow with Rosebud
Thanks. I'm mostly just checking to see if others are experiencing the same thing. This must be a bug. It's not hard to go back and set up the document again--just a bit annoying--I think I'll live.;) Well thanks again!

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
actually, i don't think it's a bug. I think it's on purpose. The TV & Video Profile does it too, but with a lot of video specific guides. I think i read somewhere why they did these this way, but i just can't think of where.

-JE

Wee Beastie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
In the snow with Rosebud
I would be very curious to hear why this behavior is advantageous. When I create a new document I would like it to appear according to my specifications. Maybe it's me but it seems a bit counterintuitive to have AI automatically change it. If I wanted it to be 14400 x 14400 px I would specify it.

:eek:WHY???!!!

dramatic, I know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.