Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhaserFuzz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
Okay, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My old PC completely crashed and I had to restore it to factory settings. So of course I lost all 40 gigs of music I had saved in my iTunes music folder. It is, however, all saved on my 3rd gen. iPod. Is there a way I can copy the music off the iPod onto the computer? I'm afraid if I plug it in, it'll automatically re sync to the new PC setup.

Thanks for any help!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Okay, I'm in a bit of a dilemma. My old PC completely crashed and I had to restore it to factory settings. So of course I lost all 40 gigs of music I had saved in my iTunes music folder. It is, however, all saved on my 3rd gen. iPod. Is there a way I can copy the music off the iPod onto the computer? I'm afraid if I plug it in, it'll automatically re sync to the new PC setup.

Thanks for any help!

Before you do anything else, in iTunes Preferences under "Syncing", check "Disable automatic syncing for all iPhones and iPods". Or just delete iTunes to be absolutely safe, you can always reinstall it. Better than taking chances.

wakka092

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
In iTunes 7, under File > Transfer Purchases from iPod/iPhone. This only works for iTS purchases. But, for everything else, there's iDump. It's free and I got it off download.com. It's for PC and works great!

rWally

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2006
Denver, CO
You can also tweak your folder settings in windows to see your hidden folders. This will allow you to explore the hidden folders on your ipod using windows explorer. If you turn on the option in itunes to copy your songs automatically to your itunes folder then all you have to do is open the song files and they'll be copied automatically into your itunes.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
You can also tweak your folder settings in windows to see your hidden folders. This will allow you to explore the hidden folders on your ipod using windows explorer. If you turn on the option in itunes to copy your songs automatically to your itunes folder then all you have to do is open the song files and they'll be copied automatically into your itunes.

By far the easiest way to do it as you don't have to install any 3rd party crap or pay for anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.