Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rfrankl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
I am a Mac newbie and enjoying it more every day, but I can't always figure out how to do something on here right away that I used to be able to do on my PC. Usually once I do though, it is amazing how much easier it is on a Mac.

How do I change the image size and file size of a pic? Do I need a 3rd party application, or can I do it in iPhoto? I don't see any options for that. Thanks!

know-it-all5

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2006
USA
I am a Mac newbie and enjoying it more every day, but I can't always figure out how to do something on here right away that I used to be able to do on my PC. Usually once I do though, it is amazing how much easier it is on a Mac.

How do I change the image size and file size of a pic? Do I need a 3rd party application, or can I do it in iPhoto? I don't see any options for that. Thanks!
your best bet is imagewell.
here is alink to imagewell at macupdate- http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11375
this will make it really easy for you to adjust image size. just drag and adjust. if you have trouble "just ask"

mattster16

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2004
Another thing you can do is to pick the photo in iphoto and choose file->export. You can then specify what you want the image scaled to as well as choose from a couple file formats.

You can also choose to email the photo and it will allow you to pick between small, medium, or large.

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
I use Pixen, closest thing to Paint you´ll ever find, very neat app, universal binary, launches in less than a bounce on my MBP.

usarnie1

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2008
how to change the pixel size of a photo in iphoto

Go go iphoto > select the photo that you want to change the pixel size > export > scale images no larger than > 800 x 529 > export > and it is done!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Assuming you are on Leopard, when you open any image in Preview, you can go to Tools --> Adjust Size.

Relunctantmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2012
Changing photo size in iPhoto 9

To change the size of a photo in iPhoto, select the photo and on the file menu - export - under size, choose custom, and underneath you can choose a max dimension in pixels if you want to. I needed a 120 pixel max photo and tried 4 different photo editing programs and it took hours to figure this out. The size of the file is much smaller if you use a small number of pixels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.