Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
I just bought a friggin' macbook 2 days ago! :mad: There was no indication from anywhere that this was going to happen 2 or 3 days ago. Now my only recourse is to return it and pay that restocking fee. Damn it! Does anyone out there think it's worth doing this or should I just be happy with my 2.2ghz model? Any advice will be greatly appreciated....

Is it worth going through all of the boxing and traveling down for another .2 GHz. You have 2.2 and the new ones 2.4 and a different processor.

I know I called the local store and there kinda hemming and hawing and I have to wait for a manager to call me back. I myself would like to have the latest and greatest but to pay a restocking fee and than have to take the 4 gig out and start all over , I am not sure I would go through all of that.

Do what you feel you have too and go from there

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Let me tell you all why I am so fired up and pissed at apple right now.

All the mac lines SUCK. I'll explain.

1. Mac Pro: Defective. All crash and reboot from sleep. Must wait for update.

2. Macbook Pro: freaking old looking. Too expensive. Makes me sick to look at.

3. Macbook: No LED screens. Screen too small anyways.

4. Mac Mini: Child please. Older than my grandma.

5. iMac: Ok for my kids, not for me. Plus they piss water.

6. Macbook air: fans run at 6500rpms constantly. No ports. Slow. Expensive.

What do I want?

1. Macbook with LED screen, a freaking express card slot and a dedicated graphics card.

Oh, get a macbook pro then you say??? Ok, make the macbook pro black, put a mag latch on it, make it so I can upgrade the freakin hard drive without a team of engineers standing by and I would but not for $2K. Thats a ripoff.

Sorry but nobody charges $2500 for a laptop nowadays. Only top tiered gaming laptops cost that much.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Bleah. No updates for the Mini! Not even 802.11n. Maybe its really on the way out.

they're phasing out their xServe competition by phasing out the mini :p j/k

But seriously I know lots of people (myself included) that have mini's runnning as (non critical) servers. small, quiet, powerful enough for dev/testing and in many cases even production depending on what's needed.

jmorrison0722

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Cupertino
This is terrible. I ordered a blackbook which is still in courier and they update the ****ing thing. I payed 140 euros more for 1 GB extra ram. And they reduce the price by 50 euros. Is there anyway I can return this thing, which I have not even received yet. But their website says if it is custom configured you cannot return it.

HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP !!!

You can refuse delivery. You'll have to wait a week or two for it to get back to Apple and they'll credit back your card. After that, you can place a new order.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
The lack of DVD burning in 2008 is just shameful.

The drives are absolutely dirt cheap at this point - it costs the user $200 to get DVD burning, but the part probably only costs $10 more. And yeah, I know you get more stuff for that $200, but it's just idiotic that something included in PC laptops that cost hundreds less (probably half the price) can only be had in a mac laptop for $1299.

There's really no excuse for it, it's just gouging plain and simple.

Same goes for the mini, that POS is looking absolutely pathetic these days - combo drive AND still the slower wifi.

And what's up with the lack of multitouch? If apple is going to hype this technology, it seems counterproductive to only put it on some models.

Sadly I agree. I've always defended Apple against those arguments from non Mac users that they are badly overpriced. But I dont think I can anymore, What can you say about a £700 laptop that has 1GB RAM and no ability to burn a DVD?

Ludde

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
No multitouch, eh..? Ah well...less reason to buy a new Macbook before my current one runs old. Don't mind as long as they get upgraded before I decide to buy a new one ^^

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
still a combo drive ? what a fricking idiocy ... sorry apple you got away 2 years ago with that ... it's 2008 now and it's impossible to actually get any laptop without it ... even in the 400 dollar laptop category everyone has a superdrive

apart of it it's a nice upgrade (especially euro price drop) if they had included the superdrive finally

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Well wadaya know, new iPhone software (1.1.4) available now. I don't know what improvements are included, but what the hey (sorry to hijack the thread)

stompy

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
I just bought a friggin' macbook 2 days ago! :mad: There was no indication from anywhere that this was going to happen 2 or 3 days ago. Now my only recourse is to return it and pay that restocking fee. Damn it! Does anyone out there think it's worth doing this or should I just be happy with my 2.2ghz model? Any advice will be greatly appreciated....

If the "what if" is going to bother you that much, you could check with the seller (B&M Apple store?) and see. This person bought one yesterday from the Apple store and was able to avoid the restocking fee.

success, I don't have to pay restocking fee....however not available at the moment maybe later today he said

You may not notice much speed difference, and I doubt anyone can yet say whether heat and battery life will improve.

If you decide to check with the seller, a face to face is better than a phone call, as long as you can remain calm and keep a smile on your face. (I know, easier said than done.)

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
The sole purpose of the £699 Combo drive models existence is to make people look at its specs and say oh my god what an over priced POS. For another £130 I can get a lot more...and Apple are £130 up.

kamm

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
dude, whatever. it's your risk. personally, i wouldn't go and present possibly stolen goods to a store asking for a refund. maybe that's just me though...

Look I have registered this laptop at apple.com the day I bought it - don't you think someone would've contacted me from Apple if this unit was involved in some 'dodgy' story?

what was the guys excuse for selling and not returning for a refund?

I don't remember. To be honest I don't even care - when someone owed me with some money back in college and couldn't pay but he offered me his brand new phone I took it and sold it. I can see dozens of reasons someone would be selling an unopened MB for cheaper...

I will call Apple and ask them what to do, that's the best, I think.

k2spitfire88

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2008
in your mind
Macrumours let me down real bad.

How? There have been rumors about the update for the last couple days! I wish that the multitouch and backlight keyboard and LED screens were standard but oh well. The only way I would wait when I have the money would be if a multitouch update comes out:D

saule cogneur

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2008
...2. Macbook Pro: freaking old looking. Too expensive. Makes me sick to look at.

3. Macbook: No LED screens. Screen too small anyways...

What do I want?

1. Macbook with LED screen, a freaking express card slot and a dedicated graphics card.

Oh, get a macbook pro then you say??? Ok, make the macbook pro black, put a mag latch on it, make it so I can upgrade the freakin hard drive without a team of engineers standing by and I would but not for $2K. Thats a ripoff.
Give me a break. "Freaking old looking?" Yes, that's what we all want, "new" for the sake of "new." Who are you trying to impress, and who cares if it's been around for a while? The MBP enclosure is still sleeker than any other notebook I know of. You hate the macbook because it's "too small," so you want a larger screen and dedicated VRAM. That's called a MBP! Which you seem to realize, but now you're upset because it's not black? Come on man, are you that obsessed with a different color? Is it so much more important than hardware? And you can get a MPB in almost any color you want from http://www.colorwarepc.com/ A nonmagnetic latch makes the MBP junk?

Really?

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
the real winner is the refurb black macbook. Previously going for $1299 has been lowered to just $1049. I'd highly recommend that macbook over any other!
Thanks for this post, for some reason my eyes had skipped over it in the refurb store. I'm in the position of having to buy my parents a laptop (they are travelling to the US in June) and also looking to finally upgrade from my 1Ghz 12"PB.

So it becomes a no brainer to buy an "older" 2.2 black refurb for the same price as the "new" 2.1 low end which I would have got my parents anyway (but with DVD-RW, +40GB HDD and +0.1Ghz, and black of course). The added bonus is that if they let me use it in the meantime, I can delay my own purchase for a few more months until I can finally decide between MB/MBP. In fact, I'm tempted to buy the second one for me anyway at this price!

rwskemer

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2008
Take it to an apple store, then inquire with the manager. In many cases they will waive the fee, especially since it's only been two days and new models have been announced. At my store, we would usually extend the ability to exchange for the new model to anyone who has purchase in the last 30 days...no fee. That being said, it's manager discretion so understand they don't HAVE to help you out.

I called up my local store and was told about the 10% restocking fee. Maybe going in person and asking a manager, they can do something different? Might be worth a shot. I'm not going to do this if I have to pay...

ncbill

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2002
I'd just like to see a decent quality Superdrive

shipping in the MacBook.

The MATSHITA DVD-R in my pre-Santa Rosa C2D MacBook is a PIECE OF JUNK - are they still shipping garbage like it in current MacBooks?

I have to keep external Firewire (Pioneer) DVD burners at work and home to ensure I can reliably read even commercially pressed DVDs.

Wish I had saved that $200 instead.

kamm

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I called up my local store and was told about the 10% restocking fee. Maybe going in person and asking a manager, they can do something different? Might be worth a shot. I'm not going to do this if I have to pay...

Just spoke to my local store again and she confirmed what jmorrison0722 already stated: since it's within 14 days it's possible I won't have to pay any fee but it's up to the manager.

However we have checked the receipt together and the original buyer is my seller, names are matching. She also said that new MBs are in stock already.

I'll take it in, I think - I didn't do anything wrong, the seller was the guy who bought it, I really don't see what else could be the problem.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.