Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blpx99

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
Do Mac users conform?

Apparently you are not quite understanding of the fact Apple is not a PC and does not conform to PC standards or pricing.

And some Apple customers apparently do not conform to rational thought. Apple uses the same hardware standard on all PCs: same Intel chips sets, same video cards. Maybe only the build quality and design are different. Maybe better, maybe not. But I'm sure Apple appreciates the cult-like adherence to its marketing strategy that they are "different."

uNext

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2006
And some Apple customers apparently do not conform to rational thought. Apple uses the same hardware standard on all PCs: same Intel chips sets, same video cards. Maybe only the build quality and design are different. Maybe better, maybe not. But I'm sure Apple appreciates the cult-like adherence to its marketing strategy that they are "different."

Agree,

Couple of weeks ago I removed the macbook pro from the packaging did not turn it on at all removed all the screws left it open.

went to the vista laptop i was replacing installed the vista formated hard drive on the macbook pro and when i turned it on vista booted. This is without ever booting into mac or installing boot camp. Macs are nothing but rebranded windows compatible hardware with the apple logo and tpm chips,efi etc. (same architecture with some minor differences)

Some mac users need to get of the high horse and accept the fact that the ppc cult mac use to be back when it was really "DIFFERENT" no longer exist. Boot camp is just a distraction. Imagine apple saying vista can be installed directly with no needed software?
they have to make you believe it is diffrent when in reality it is not.

pondie84

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Surely I'm not the only one who doesn't understand the hugely negative response to this release. Were people really expecting the world? Are people really that unhappy with the current line-up? If so, why not just take your custom elsewhere and buy other products? Surely your life would be much more pleasant if you just moved on and stopped being so bitter.

Also, you don't have to buy a low-end MacBook with a combodrive if you don't want to. However, you should recognise that for a portion of the market a superdrive isn't necessary or even desirable. Personally I have a dvd burner on my PC, and use that if I need to (rarely). Apart from that I don't store much on my notebook and just use external drives and usb drives as desired. But then, I understand a lot of people like to have the option there so I wouldn't be furious if they made every MacBook have a superdrive.

I guess I just don't understand they extent of the negativity a lot of people have. Do you really expect Apple to cater to your every whim?

SamNeeds

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2007
I'm really disappointed with this weeks releases :(

Especially the fact that the Macbooks don't have Multitouch... I suppose we'll have to wait for a whole design refresh. Not that they currently aren't nice, because they are. It would just have been nice to see a new design (like the white iMac to the aluminum one)

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Surely I'm not the only one who doesn't understand the hugely negative response to this release. Were people really expecting the world? Are people really that unhappy with the current line-up? If so, why not just take your custom elsewhere and buy other products? Surely your life would be much more pleasant if you just moved on and stopped being so bitter.

Also, you don't have to buy a low-end MacBook with a combodrive if you don't want to. However, you should recognise that for a portion of the market a superdrive isn't necessary or even desirable. Personally I have a dvd burner on my PC, and use that if I need to (rarely). Apart from that I don't store much on my notebook and just use external drives and usb drives as desired. But then, I understand a lot of people like to have the option there so I wouldn't be furious if they made every MacBook have a superdrive.

I guess I just don't understand they extent of the negativity a lot of people have. Do you really expect Apple to cater to your every whim?

No, but most people here expected just a bit more from the updates than what we got. Its not that hard of a concept to understand. Why does it have to be either that we expect nothing, or that we expect apple to 'cater to our every whim'? Why can't it be something in between, apart from the extremes and the hyperbole you and others spout to trivialize any comments and complaints? What a concept! And your superdrive comments completely miss the point that has been made dozens of times in this thread, in that in this day and age combo drives shouldnt even EXIST, and they DON'T, outside of apple products. Jesus Christ, some of you are really something else.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Apple computers are PCs: Personal Computer. All of the below are PCs:
- Macbook Pro
- Macbook
- iMac
- Mac Pro
- Dell
- Acer
.. etc etc etc

As other people have mentioned, Apple use majority standard PC components... they don't use better quality, just standard. You'd find the majority of Apple components in a Dell et al, and vice versa.

For its Pro laptops, Apple do not conform to PC pricing. However, for Apple's desktops, yes, they are very very good value. Generally, if you compare a Macbook Pro price, you'd get more value out of other mobile laptops.

Apparently you are not quite understanding of the fact Apple is not a PC and does not conform to PC standards or pricing. This is APPLE, not IBM, nor Dell, nor anyone else.

You are standing in on a Ford lot looking for a Mercedes. It simply is not the same in any way. Whether or not it is better is opinion and not relevant to the fact it is NOT A PC. There is not a way to compare them.

....and yes..... this is budget pricing for an APPLE laptop.

Quite frankly I think they should raise the prices to get rid of all the windblow converts coming off the IBM and dell machines so it can have it's exclusiveness back. It's like the whole trailer park has invaded the country club.

....though I feel they are indeed making more than enough off of them already, sometimes it is a matter of preservation.

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
For its Pro laptops, Apple do not conform to PC pricing. However, for Apple's desktops, yes, they are very very good value. Generally, if you compare a Macbook Pro price, you'd get more value out of other mobile laptops.

I disagree. You will not get more value out of other laptops. You will buy the headache of dealing with rubbish build and more importantly bad software (which is all part of the package).

RHD

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
London
Ha!

To everyone who was on here moaning about no magnetic catch - next time, read the specs on Apple's website!:

"Designed for life on the road

Innovations such as a magnetic power connection and an illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor put the MacBook Pro in a class by itself."

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
To everyone who was on here moaning about no magnetic catch - next time, read the specs on Apple's website!:

"Designed for life on the road

Innovations such as a magnetic power connection and an illuminated keyboard with ambient light sensor put the MacBook Pro in a class by itself."

...Aaaand what does MagSafe have to do with the latch?

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
I disagree. You will not get more value out of other laptops. You will buy the headache of dealing with rubbish build and more importantly bad software (which is all part of the package).

Absolute drivel. This might apply if you're buying crap but it's hardly representative.

mhaas

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2004
I think Apple kept the combo drive MBs, so they could sell them to schools. A roomful of students don't need DVD burners on every machine.

That's exactly one of the reasons why Apple kept that model in the line-up. And it is a justified point as they sell thousands of macbooks to schools each year. A lot more than the winers here are buying :rolleyes:

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
the gripes gathered

Isn't the INtel Graphic card an actual graphics card with shared RAM.
So the Macbook does have a graphics card, just a lower Intel model to save space on motherboards etc.

Remote excluded from sale of laptop because its redundant.
I have 4 remotes, everytime i buy a Mac, i get a new remote.
I have too many remotes!

Combo drive, yeah seems cheap but just get the higher unit.
Apple is making their money and deserve to decide how.
It's not your usual company, if it were then we would all be using, Windows.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Isn't the INtel Graphic card an actual graphics card with shared RAM.
So the Macbook does have a graphics card, just a lower Intel model to save space on motherboards etc.

Actually it isn't separate, which is the argument. Dedicated graphics is almost always better than integrated. The major problem is the X3100 has to fight with the CPU for bandwidth, and it doesn't have the oomph to accomplish some tasks due to scarce NB die space. IMO a 8400M G would be great for the Macbook and still provide the line of difference between the MB and MBP.

kamm

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
Update: yesterday night I went to the local store and exchanged my 13.5 days old black MB for the Peryn-based black one. No questions asked and even restocking fee was dropped. :cool:
Apple, you not only made me glad but also a customer, I must admit. :)

tony820

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2008
Orange County
yea!!!

i just got my new shiny blackbook penyrn notebook and couldnt be happier and i was just about to buy one this past weekend. good thing i waited

kamm

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I have 4 remotes, everytime i buy a Mac, i get a new remote.
I have too many remotes!

Send me one then, I'll pay for the shipping. :) They took back mine with the 'old' MB I exchanged yesterday.

lucky3killer

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
People need to stop complaining about the combo drive. No one is forcing you to buy that model. The middle model is the version I would buy, but there are people who would like to save a couple hundred dollars and get the combo drive, slower processor, less ram, and smaller hard drive. I'm don't know many people who would, but its nice that apple is giving some people that option. Personally, I think the middle model is the best value.

Yup, I agree.

I can smell all whine about MB update, that sounds like little children.

If combo drive in MB then you can use USB based external DVD burner to burn it, that's simple.

No multitouch because Apple made MB as low price and little less feature than MBP, get deal with it or buy MBP.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada

Hardware: depends on your needs. For some people spending $$ on a MBP may not be good value (read: overkill). For others, spending $499 on a 'windows' laptop may not represent good value.

Define 'bad software'.

There's a lot of crap software for OSX too. Many windows apps are better than their OSX counter parts. The opposite is true of course.

If software does everything that the user wants and meets performance expectations, then its 'Good'.

Yes, even windows can be good: if it does everything the user wants it to do, then its fine. For other users, windows will fail to deliver. In this sentence, you can replace windows for OSX and the same will be true ( for geeks: s/windows/OSX :)).

Its not all black and white. There are many shades of grey.

s1r1

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2008
?!

Can someone give me some advice please

I ordered the low-level combodrive MB three weeks ago and they will deliver it tomorrow morning. It has a 120 GB disk.

Of course I always wish to have the newest product but i did the math and it looks like, if i would have ordered today, i would have paid 82 usd less for getting 100Mhz more. That includes the price for the new separate remote, i like to have one.

So should I bother refusing the delivery and waiting again? From your posts it looks like the answer is: no. Btw if you find the prices to be strange it's cause i'm converting from swedish currency, and yes 1 528 bucks for the entry level MB *with* education discount is a total ripoff!

Many thanks :)

sk8monkey

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
I've been waiting nearly 4 months to buy a macbook pro, the upgrade couldnt have come at a better time! for me anyway....:D

Desiderata

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2008
I am finally in the market for a new MacBook (after using my 1.0Ghz powerbook G4 for the last five years), but before I buy I have one question to ask. I actually do not need the computer until August (when I will begin graduate school), so I was wondering what the general schedule for updates is. I know there was a new update a few weeks ago, so I was curious what the likelihood of another update is before August. Does Apple usually update once a year (February in this case), or twice a year (perhaps in June/July as well)?

I guess my question boils down to whether or not I should buy now and enjoy five extra months of my new computer, or if should I wait until another update (possibly) comes. My computer is still functional, and money is not really an issue, but I'd just love to get the best computer I can since I tend not to upgrade very often.

Thank you in advance for all of your time and assistance.

asdavis10

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
Bermuda
I am finally in the market for a new MacBook (after using my 1.0Ghz powerbook G4 for the last five years), but before I buy I have one question to ask. I actually do not need the computer until August (when I will begin graduate school), so I was wondering what the general schedule for updates is. I know there was a new update a few weeks ago, so I was curious what the likelihood of another update is before August. Does Apple usually update once a year (February in this case), or twice a year (perhaps in June/July as well)?

I guess my question boils down to whether or not I should buy now and enjoy five extra months of my new computer, or if should I wait until another update (possibly) comes. My computer is still functional, and money is not really an issue, but I'd just love to get the best computer I can since I tend not to upgrade very often.

Thank you in advance for all of your time and assistance.

Apple usually has a well-conceived plan when it comes to releasing new (and refreshed) products. Its just that they don't make all their plans public which sometimes can be frustrating. Sometimes they release products (the new Penryn MB and MBP) before they might have wanted to (IMHO) because of outside factors (Intel moving to the newer chipset). But the best rule of thumb is to buy a computer when you need it. If you wait for the latest and greatest just know that the next-best system is being planned for release already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.